NJ Best Fried Chicken

N.J.'s best fried chicken: The 25 most delicious spots around the state

Came across this article from July. My Tribe and I do enjoy Chicken Kitchen in Shrewsbury which made the list when ordering “bucket chicken” as my son likes to call it.

2 Likes

I know I asked about fried chicken a while ago (in the Matawan area), but I’m not driving to Middletown to get it. Also, the Claudie’s in Middletown was next to a lot that seemed to have a toxic waste cleanup site sign posted on it, which we found a tad off-putting, though it may just have been because it used to be a gas station. (I live in Old Bridge, a town with four, count 'em, four Superfund sites, so on the one hand, why am I worried about one meal in Middletown, but two, I have all the toxic waste I need, thank you very much.)

1 Like

I know this is NJ thread, but if you HOs are in Maryland and want some tasty fried chicken… Royal Farms is worth trying. Don’t snicker because it is a gas station/convenience store kinda like Wawa. Their chicken has a large following and it has high turnover = freshly fried. IMHO almost as good as Popeyes.

2 Likes

I used to travel to MD a lot and you gotta pick up those gas station fried chickens whenever you can! I’d like some Royal Farms and Sheetz up here.

1 Like

There are already Royal Farms in the south Jersey area.

1 Like

I had to make fried chicken for a class I was teaching last week. NOT the best fried chicken in NJ.

6 Likes

After Katrina when I was still in New Orleans, my friend and I would fry chicken. Three times a week trying to perfect it, never worked.

Recently I have been cooking the chicken with the sous vide, dredging after and then frying just to crisp up the crust to a nice golden brown and everyone loves it

3 Likes

I never would have thought of sous vide fried chicken. I may have to try that.

My biggest problem with frying- or any cooking really - at work is the crappy electric stove we have to use. I usually have all 4 burners going and move the pans around to maintain a proper temperature. Easier said than done as the cooktop is anything but flat.

1 Like

I had one of the best meals I’ve had in a long time last week in Florida (of all places)… I’ll find and link my post here when I get back on the laptop. My dad knows the owner and when we were chatting with him about his BBQ, he said it took him six months to perfect it, but he now uses the sous vide for his beef ribs-they get smoked, then put in the sous vide, then finished on a very hot grill. It was the best beef rib I’ve ever tasted, and I wouldn’t have known why if he hadn’t told us!

1 Like

@CurlzNJ Below is a link to your mouth watering meal in Florida
Eagle Grill and Oyster Bar, Greenacres FL (6 miles west of Lake Worth)[quote=“CurlzNJ, post:9, topic:18788, full:true”]
I had one of the best meals I’ve had in a long time last week in Florida (of all places)… I’ll find and link my post here when I get back on the laptop. My dad knows the owner and when we were chatting with him about his BBQ, he said it took him six months to perfect it, but he now uses the sous vide for his beef ribs-they get smoked, then put in the sous vide, then finished on a very hot grill. It was the best beef rib I’ve ever tasted, and I wouldn’t have known why if he hadn’t told us!
[/quote]

Thanks, Eli!

Claudies IS in a working Gas Station. But they make dynamite Fried Chicken and I love their ribs as well. Not to mention their corn fritters, mac and cheese, and fried cauliflower… if you get in a out fast, the toxic waste won’t have time to get you…

My friend who writes an occasional guest column for my blog reviewed Claudie’s and loved it.

1 Like

I liked this comment – " The snowstorm that brought nearly two feet of snow years ago did not stop Claudie’s from dishing out exceptional eats in a state of emergency." Damn skippy – working First Aid those nights we ended up taking our Heavy Rescue Truck up there since they were the only thing open - and they knew were were in a rush – indeed we had a call before our food was ready. We dashed out and did our job and called them as we were passing by from one call to the next… They were on the side of the road waiting for us as we raced up lights and sirens, grabbed our now ready food, and off to another rescue. Service over and above with a smile and big heart…

6 Likes

I took the family to Eagle Grill & Oyster Bar for dinner… four adults one grandkidling…

First up Sunday special 1 pound of king crab $11.99…two orders decimated
Starters…Grouper cheeks fried with a spicy aoli…Not a piece left.
Fish dip with crackers…we wiped the bowl clean…(even the grandkidling liked that one.
Fra Diavlo Mussels the garlic bread was the spoon to finish the nicely spiced red sauce
Sliced brisket and ribs , garlic mashed and some mac and cheese (No brisket because the owner was not there, but they gave us a double order of wing, with four different sauces!) The ribs were not my favorite, because the sauce along side was just all over the place in terms of flavor
A “Kid Burger and fries”…enough for two kids or one adult.
Three real adult beverages and one lemonade.
All of the food was almost gone, because we could not finish some home: 1/2 of a burger, some ribs and a couple of chicken wings, just enough to fill one box and the DIL will have lunch Monday.
Our server was clearly in-experienced, but tried real hard after she served us the drinks for another table. she was real sweet and we would ask for her again if she worked there.

Having a problem uploading pictures…will be back in a few…

3 Likes

3 Likes

Thrilled that you enjoyed this as much as I did, @PHREDDY! I’m going to try to link this to the original post, which is on the Florida board at Eagle Grill and Oyster Bar, Greenacres FL (6 miles west of Lake Worth)

Don’t know if you know of this place, have been eating there for years…
Great food, always crowded, and reasonably priced
https://christaverna.com/

I don’t, but will share with my dad. They’re in W Palm but have always ventured for good food (it’s in my DNA!). TY!

I have a home in Boca (Woodfield Country Club) for years, a second home up the road in DelRay for my mom for the last 10 years…so there are many places that I know in the area that are real good. You can trust me on Chris’s Taverna…
Hopefully we will meet up again at another HO Down…

1 Like