Newton Center Restaurants Newton, MA

We are lucky to be able to afford it as often as we go. Plus we can walk there in literally 3 minutes. No need for Scott or Olivia to stop the cocktails because someone had to drive!

2 Likes

House Of Tandoor
Food: 4
Service: N/a did take out

We had some friends over to watch the Pats game and ordered food from the newly opened House Of Tandoor. Everything was great. We had 1/2 Tandoori chicken, lamb kebab, duck kebab, Sang Paneer, 2 lamb naan, 2 garlic naan 2 meat samosas, vegetable pakora, and rice. It came to &83 an change. I’d like to eat there, as the naan suffered from the short walk a bit, but otherwise, the food was great. My dish was the Tandoori chicken which was super flavorful and moist. I didn’t try the duck or sang paneer, but both were proclaimed excellent by those who ordered them. Will definitely return.

4 Likes

Ha. We literally followed Scott from Great Bay in search of Ghost of Mary

I knew I recognized Scott from somewhere else! Thanks!

Our 15-year old (today) requested Sycamore for her birthday dinner. Chip off the old block?

3 Likes

Kimfair - Our waitress at Sycamore last night mentioned that there are a number of super-loyal (50+ visit) regulars, including a couple that comes in virtually every Sunday night - perhaps you?

Lamb shank was superb…and the beignets + milk jam :wink:

1 Like

I’d love to go every Sunday night, but I’d need two jobs! We do see a ton of the same folks sitting at the bar when we go, and one evening, two seats were being saved for a couple that comes in every week on Tuesdays. Next week we’re going with a friend, and are sitting at a table for the first time ever.

Had another excellent meal at Sycamore last evening, but I’ll be happy to get back to sitting at the bar. The seats were fine, it just seemed weird. Even the owner/chef David Punch remarked t us that it seemed weird to see us at a table. After dinner he stopped by with some house made infused sherry and sat and drank with us for a little while. Always a pleasure!

4 Likes

We are lucky to have Sycamore in the neighborhood. We are fans of the tables - they afford a nice perspective on the upwash lighting against the brick. Though we do like the bar, too. :wink:

3 Likes

Pho Viet’s II
Food: 4
Service: N/A just did takeout
I will have to return for something other than the very good Bahn Mi sandwiches which I have had on 2 occasions. I had the pork (very good), and the traditional ham with pate (excellent). The other food looks and smells great, but it’s been a zoo since they opened, and we haven’t ventured out to sit and try anything. Not a huge fan of their set up, you order and pay at the front, then sit and wait, and when it’s done it’s brought out to you. Pretty crazy when they’re busy (which has been each of the 2 times I’ve been).

3 Likes

Great value as well

1 Like

Absolutely! For only $6 you get a great sandwich!

Little Big Diner
Food: 4.5
Service: 4.5

Finally! After what seems like an eternity, we finally got to have lunch at Little Big Diner today. The delay has mostly been because we’re old and don’t like hanging around waiting (I’d much prefer a reservation so I know when I can eat), but we had a nice walk today and decided we’d wait as long as we had to. We were quoted 35 minutes, but it ended up being about 15. We started with two draft cocktails, the Cold Tea for my wife, and the Privateer Negroni for me. My wife isn’t a huge ramen fan, so she ordered the lion’s head meatballs which came with an amazing broth, and the Kara-age fried chicken, which was small bites of fried chicken thigh with a great chili mayo. I ordered the spicy tan tan ramen. everything was absolutely delicious. The ramen was great, but we both liked the fried chicken the best. My wife was at first only meh on the meatballs, but the more she ate, the more she liked them. The drinks, designed by Sycamore bartender Scott were also top notch. I’m not a mezcal fan, but even I liked the Cold Tea cocktail, which had the perfect amount of mezcal for me. Can’t wait to try some of the other dishes.

6 Likes

What a great report, thanks!

1 Like

Great report. I’ve been once and had an excellent ramen. Time for a visit since they now have Tan Tan ramen.

1 Like

Next time try their burger! My only issue with LBD is that they sometimes charge as much as $11 for their draft beers which is pretty high even for good beer in Newton.

1 Like

Seeing “Cold Tea” invokes a wayback machine for me. It made me smile, thinking of simpler times (mis) spent in my 20s in Boston Chinatown restaurants ‘round midnight.

Shame your wife doesn’t like ramen. It’s a whole separate essential food group for me.

1 Like

O’Hara’s Irish Pub (Newton Highlands)
Food: 3.5
Service: 3.5
Since Terry O’Reilly’s in Newton Center is so poor foodwise, we decided to check out O’Hara’s in Newton Highlands last night. It’s a very good pub atmosphere. My wife had a salad with steak tips, we shared a boneless Buffalo chicken, and I had the fish and chips. All the food was very good for what it is, pub grub.

4 Likes

We were back at Lee’s last week and had hits and misses. My daughter followed up on her promise to try the steak and cheese, which was sadly quite dry. I don’t if the meat was too lean, but it was a let down. They did nail the med rare temp on the burgers this time. Fries and rings were awesome again. They could have the counter staff slow down a bit. There were only a few customers when we were there and no one else waiting to order. On both visits the order process seemed a bit rushed. I am all for efficiency, but not at the expense of accuracy (there were a few misses on the order specifics).

We also had a great meal at Johnny’s recently. Orders included a turkey club and omelette. They do everything competently and seem to use good quality ingredients. Service is friendly as well. It makes me wish that Zoe’s in Harvard Square was still a Johnny’s outpost as it was 15? years ago. Johnny’s is a significant step up in terms of quality.

3 Likes

Have you (or anybody else) been since? Thinking about trying Jumbo Seafood in the near future.

Side note-I wish there was a bubble tea place in the area!