Newton Center Restaurants Newton, MA

Perhaps you have a very long torso and/or neck. :giraffe:

There have been some places (I can’t remember where…Greater Boston and beyond) where we’ve eaten when B, seated opposite to me on a bench or banquette, is a good 3 inches lower than me, seated in a chair. I’ll ask, “do you want to switch?” and he says no. And then I laugh the whole time during the meal. :rofl:

That must be why I find it easy to graze on trees, and the occasional squirrel, as I walk around Cambridge.

3 Likes

I have a very short torso, and very long legs, even before I started losing inches while aging. I can’t reach lots of tables/desks/etc. while sitting down. I’ve shrunk from my tallest, 5’4.5". My son (adopted, not my genes) is 6’4" or 6’6", depending on who is measuring. He has a very long torso. His legs are only a few inches longer than mine.

People come in all proportions. A friend in high school was 5 feet, I was 4.5 inches taller. When we sat down next to each other, she looked taller.

There should be a happy median; those like me who are at an extreme, have learned to adjust within a happy median.

People sitting next to me at work are wondering why I just laughed.

1 Like

It doesn’t count unless coffee squirts out of your nose.

2 Likes

From All Over Newton:

So that’s how “Biang Biang Noodles” got its name!

Chef Shine Huang stepped out of the kitchen of the newly re-launched starfoodsnewton to give us a demo of how hand-pulled Biang Biang Noodles are made. Chef Huang boasts 20+ years of restaurant experience, and is also the owner of successful Belmont center Chinese restaurant, Shine’s Fresh Asian. He has taken over as chef of StarFoods (renamed House of Noodles-StarFoods) on Pelham Street in Newton Centre, and retooled its menu to feature Northern Chinese Cuisine, including hand-pulled noodles.

Due to its small size, the restaurant will primarily focus on take out, but has retained some indoor seating and its popular personal hot pot stations. It’s now open seven days a week from 11-9. To celebrate its grand re-opening, House of Noodles-StarFoods is offering a 15% discount on its menu through August 18.

Oh, and the banging sound made as noodles are slapped on a work station resulted in the dish’s onomatopoeic name.

8 Likes

1 Like

Oops, I see I skipped a few pages on the menu

That looks more or less similar to the menu available at Shine’s! Are they offering delivery outside of Newton?

Yes–it appears that the Belmont location may offer a number of additional dishes including seafood, tofu and vegetables, and chicken and beef options, also the Newton location retained several hot pot options from the previous iteration. I don’t know about the delivery question, sorry. There are about a dozen stools (very lightweight and easy to tip over) along two counters, a short one in front and a second longer on on the side with eight hotpot induction burners and wall-mounted Ferris wheel-like apparati for the hot pot components. You order from two touch screens at the front, kind of like the Xi’an Famous Foods we visited in NYC.

We ordered the wontons in spicy sauce (terrific, the sauce was like Sichuan chili oil with the addition of sesame, almost like a little dan dan noodle sauce), biang biang noodles with pork (nice toothsome texture on the wide noodles, also some vegetables ), biang biang noodles with cumin lamb (very tender, lots of cilantro), and Mount Qi minced pork noodle soup (al dente thin noodles, good ma la, also included fried egg but I don’t know if that was a bonus since egg was listed as an extra charge on the ordering screen, the one part I didn’t care for personally was the potato pieces). We’ll be back.

3 Likes

My compliments. Not a word one sees often these days.

Sorry, just to clarify, the original post was a copy and paste from a post by https://www.allovernewton.com/, but I thought it was of relevance and possible interest to this particular thread, plus the menu was not available online (I did not think to check out the Shine’s Fresh Asian menu), so I took pictures and added that.

1 Like

I took my daughter on Thursday for lunch. We tried the liangjianpi, which are wide but thinner (than biang biang) noodles, with sesame sauce. Great for summer because it’s cool, also not spicy. With fried tofu squares (I think), cucumber, and bean sprouts. The Szechuan dan dan noodles were also terrific with nicely chewy noodles.

4 Likes

Have you been to Shine’s? If so, any menu recommendations?

• liang pi with chile oil or sesame
  • biang biang noodles with either the cumin lamb or beef, also the version with tomato and egg is good
  • wontons with chile oil
  • rougamo with potatoes and long pepper
  • hot and sour soup with glass noodles or dumplings
  • dan dan noodles
6 Likes

Thank you! Hopefully we’ll be able to give it a try soon.

1 Like

Return visit, only new dish we tried was pork dumplings in hot and sour soup. The dumpling skins were thicker, so more like steamed dumplings at Dumpling House or Mulan. The soup was sour, temperature hot, a little spicy. We preferred the wontons in spicy sauce, but I should make a correction to a previous post, which is that there was no sesame in the spicy sauce–it’s more like chili oil with chili crisp (fried aromatics) than the more straightforward chili oil at Sichuan Gourmet or DH, also with more cucumber than elsewhere, plus bean sprouts.

2 Likes

We finally gave Shine a try: had the wontons with chile oil, hand-made noodles with tomato and egg, cumin lamb rougamo, and chilled tofu with century egg.

Our favorite was probably the rougamo. It’s been a long time since I’ve had this elsewhere, but I had been expecting a softer bread. Theirs is more crisp and flaky, and the filling was great.

Our favorite version of wontons with chile oil is Sichuan Gourmet Framingham’s; the ones at Shine had a nice sauce, but the meat was a bit tough, and the wrapper texture wasn’t the best.

The noodle texture was great. This is a personal preference, but I always omit sugar in recipes, so the egg and tomato topping tasted very sweet to me. But that’s my problem, not the dish’s!

2 Likes

I noted a sweetness in the one from Shine’s too - I think they may use a touch of ketchup in their sauce for the tomato and egg noodles. I like it, but everyone’s mileage may vary!

I really, really want to learn how to make the bread they use for the rougamo. I think it is probably rough pastry dough, but I am a novice on that stuff.

1 Like

@nonaggie Was this Newton or Belmont?