New Orleans in August 2019

Ok, I checked there and someone mentioned in a prior post that they are historically closed the month of August although she thought they were switching til Tuesdays only this year. We called on Thursday aso apparently not. Thanks for the tip! I’m joining the group.

The FB group is useful for ideas, although I warn you that a lot of it is people posting pictures of very unhealthy-looking food and then 75 people commenting that it looks amazing and delicious :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Exactly, some of those photos are not very appealing when everyone is commenting how fantastic it looks.
I can’t wait to come home and hit some good places but sadly it doesn’t look like it will be until December.

Just in time for oysters! I envy you, I’ve been trying to get to Casamento’s for years, never hit it just right.

By the way, I ate at Bayona last night and would add it to my list of high-end favorites :grin: During the month of August, many restaurants participate in the Coolinary promotion (3-course dinners for $39, plus some cheaper lunches and brunches) and I’ve been to four places so far. Might be able to jam one more in before I leave town for vacation!

2 Likes

Love L’il Dizzy’s and Parkway on your list. We were very disappointed in Coquette - nothing wowed us at all. maybe just a bad night.

I’ve been twice in the last 3 years, and I’m heading back to NOLA for NYE week. A friend just recommended Maypop to us, so I think I’ll make a rez as we get closer.

To the OP, @Lambowner - we had a great meal at Cochon - too bad yours wasn’t good. I’m also a huge fan of Cochon Butcher, and pack up my suitcase with frozen/sealed packs of meats!

And I’d add that Arnaud’s looks very much like what Galatoire’s was for us - awful food, loud, obnoxious, with a definite gross feeling of elitism. We got into the famous Friday lunch and totally regretted it.

I’m also very partial to Willie Mae’s and Coop’s.

I can’t wait to go back!!

p.s. - and I do realize this is an older post.

2 Likes

Interesting, I’d love to do Friday lunch, but maybe I’d react the same! Have fun and report your NYE eats!

i would have had a bad taste in my mouth even if the food hadn’t been so across-the-board awful.

will definitely report!

I’m heading through NOLA soon, and will have one dinner there. My instinct is to get a reservation at Clancy’s, it is so wonderful. But lately I’ve been wanting to return to Mandina’s, a locals hangout that we visited once and enjoyed but was overshadowed by other meals that visit. I follow them on instagram and their feed is making me hungry to try them again! So excited to stop over there after nearly two years.

Acme Oyster House just opened a restaurant in Houston where I am. The crowds have been ridiculous so I’m waiting a bit before attempting an off-peak meal there.

Maybe some of the small Houston contingent here has been?

2 Likes

There is also a New Orleans contingent :grin: I live two blocks from Clancy’s and would actually send you to a restaurant one block closer to my house: Patois. The food is much more creative and it’s very well-executed. Our very favorite higher-end restaurant in town is Maypop (in the CBD)—just go, and when you do, GET THE BONE MARROW. Mandina’s to me is just a big pile of food, not very distinguished as far as flavor or creativity or great skill in the kitchen. There are a bunch of places like that, which for nostalgia or other reasons are beloved by locals, but aren’t really worth spending your one dinner on. (Gris-Gris and Katie’s are similar…they get raves but the food is ridiculously heavy and not very interesting.)

If you want a cheaper, yet great, meal, go to Marjie’s Grill in Mid-City. Again, very creative takes on local and Asian ingredients, with nice cocktails, too.

One more excellent choice if you are across town in Marigny is Paladar 511. I’ve eaten there a few times and loved it (and Mr. travelmad478 just declared it his second favorite place in town after Maypop).

7 Likes

We ate well, by our standards, during the time we had in the city during our 2016 music road trip.

Went to Tujagues, Angeline, Napolean House, R’evolution, G W Fins and Muriel’s. I’d guess a number of those places (if not all) might be dismissed as French Quarter tourist places. But, who cares, we were tourists and know no better.

3 Likes

We went to GW Fins a few weeks ago, as much as I had read about it had never made it there as I am from there and tend to stay away from the Quarter.
It was outstanding

1 Like

Thanks for the tips, travelmad! Any words Covid-wise? Masks required anywhere?

1 Like

I’m guessing it’s Houston style, mask up on the way in and remove while dining and drinking.

I’m getting my second Covid shot tomorrow and I’m putting team Houston on alert to take care of me three days hence. The Wifeacita will be out of town.

1 Like

Ah I hope not, no issues with the vaccinations over here. I was all over today and didn’t wear a mask. I lunched at Jonathan’s the Rub and only staff wore them. Randalls took down their mask signs and it was 1/2-1/2 there in there. Total Wine sign said unvaccinated must wear mask.

1 Like

I knew you were rich beyond belief.

By the by, I forgot to mention earlier that Ms Harters thought that dinner at Muriel’s was her best meal of the whole three week trip. Not necessarily the absolute best individual dishes, but put it all together for the most enjoyable overall experience. FWIW, my “most enjoyable” was an Italian place in Lafayette.

1 Like

:joy: they are my drug suppliers, and they give me 20% off groceries!

1 Like

Louisiana and New Orleans are now, shall we say, mask-optional in most places. You have to wear them on public transit, in government buildings, and in medical facilities, but everywhere else it’s up to the business to require them or not. It seems like restaurants and many small businesses in town are still requiring them, and staff are still wearing them, but places like WInn-Dixie and even Whole Foods have posted signs saying “if you’re vaccinated, it’s OK to not wear a mask.” That said, most people are still wearing them no matter what, at least when they walk in the door of a restaurant.

1 Like

Meanwhile in Texas, government buildings are prohibited from requiring masks, and most businesses are not requiring them for vaccinated people. :laughing: