New Jersey: What is good here?

My “go-to”, when it’s available, is at the Broadway in Point Pleasant. True, the place is kind of a shithole, but the sandwich is good. So are the burgers behind the bar, the 7am opening, prices, packy license, and the proximity to the beach.

The classic Jersey Diner seems to be an endangered species but they are a special breed of Diner. Olga’s is sorely missed

Pork Roll seems to be South Jersey’s signature meat product

New Jersey has absolutely fabulous tomatoes, corn, and summer melons.

There are lots of ethnic Italians in New Jersey so decent Italian food is easy to come by - ethnic Indian’s too lots of Indian food

also lots of coastline gives seafood and shellfish - Crabs are big around here.

Olga’s in the Cherry Hill area on the circle is gone? Since when? Oh my…

Its been a few years at least since they re-did the intersection basically cutting off access to the diner my understanding is that the roadwork killed the place. Sad it was a classic.

Wow…that is sad.

Years ago we used to sell Olga’s thousands of pounds of blue fish. Their kitchen was massive & man could they crank out the food.

We still have quite a few diners in S. Jersey but most are not what they used to be. When I worked in one as a teenager most of the kitchen staff were Greeks or Turks who aspired to one day own their own diner and they were quick learners. As a result just about everything was made from scratch. All too often that is not the case today. Many don’t even make fresh burgers.

Well there’s always the famous Jersey Tomato Sandwich. Fresh Jersey Tomato, Mayo & white bread. Not till next summer though…

I grew up in Westchester County NY Greek diners were a way of life. Institutions. Most of the ones that hang on are shadows of their former selves. Most are gone. While there are many new and interesting places to eat now as the burbs get Brooklynized I do miss the trusty diners where you could get clams oreganata and black coffee at 2AM if you wanted.

1 Like

Even farmers’ markets don’t have decent tomatoes. I’m not sure where everyone finds these great Jersey tomatoes. I do know where to get Taylor ham, and I think I’ll find some tomorrow morning.

I am lucky one diner in our area is still the real deal. Love their big home made onion rings. Much better than the ones off the Sysco trucks most places are using.

I just read something about the old Jersey tomatoes but I can’t remember where I read it. The gist of it was the Jersey tomato took years to perfect and had a distinct flavor but it was not “fancy” looking and was replaced by the pretty tomatoes that are common place today. The seeds are still out there, either in the hands of a corporation or possibly a University.

When we used to go down to the Delaware bay to go fishing in the 1970’s, southern NJ had 2 crops, tomatoes & melons, as far as the eye could see. Big open top tractor trailers hauling them were a PITA to get stuck behind.

Seriously? Seriously Tom? If we were together I would give you a whack to the back of the head! You’re not going to share with the rest of the class where this precious gem of yours is? Mean, mean, mean Thomas!! :rage:

Rutgers. They have re introduced a number of tomatoes. There is a bunch of info online I will post it when I find it again.

For the Homemade Onion Rings its Hathaways Diner in Cinnaminson. Maybe a S. Jersey road trip is in order…Rings at Hathaways followed by wings at the Jug Handle Inn. Your car could make it back north on methane :grinning:

I think your right, I think it was Rutgers.

Thank you Tom! Not familiar with it though.

You get to CherryHill, I’ll get you the rest of the way :grinning:

Re tomatoes:

The gene that made a tomato uneven in color (bright red in one part, but still greenish in another, and having that cracked/striated look) was what made it taste good. When they made tomatoes that looked evenly colored, they removed the flavor.

So what you want to look for are “ugly” tomatoes.

1 Like

You should try other farmers’ markets - especially some further south.