New Jersey Restaurant Pet Peeves, Idiosyncrasies, Humorous Musings, etc

I agree. I think they have to have a sign out stating there is a surcharge.

1 Like

Here’s another for the thread:
Chefs/owners who respond publicly to discussion boards without thinking about the message they’re sending. Read Danny Meyer’s Setting the Table and you might understand it a bit more. (Sidebar: that book is wonderful whether you work in the hospitality biz or not!) I say this knowing many chefs/restaurant owners personally. Some of them are better than others at this.

On the flip, I hate when a PR firm handles everything because you can tell when it’s not a chef/owner’s voice, but there’s a good middle ground, and some people don’t quite get that.

1 Like

I just read an owners reply to his restaurant in Tinton Falls. I don’t see a problem with it. HO is a Non advertised, public supported, Public forum and imho should be open space for discussion with debated perspectives a part of it. Afterall, a restaurant review is a person(s) living we often dissect.

2 cents. Rooster

1 Like

I also read the reply. Lots of words but I found the entire piece unpersuasive. It failed to address some very key points. Providing another review was also unpersuasive - these days everyone has an opinion and I trust my fellow HO’s more than I do some “stranger”.

So, yes, chef/owners should feel free to use this forum. However some should just stick to their knitting.

2 Likes

First time I ever saw the true nature of HO restaurant review. Good to know. I believe the stranger as you refer was the owner. I don’t personally know anyone on this fun forum. Not that knowing you means we will agree on dining experiences. Ok, good to know.

Edited to add: it appears that owners rebutt so rarely that if they do its not well rec’d. It’s all opinion, entitled by all. Perhaps not and I’m just too new here.

I do know some people on here personally, but even before I did, I still trusted their comments about a restaurant far ahead of people on, say, Yelp (which I don’t bother with at all). In my experience, people who actively participate on food discussion boards have a fairly consistent voice, and I learn who I agree with/don’t vs. who is online just to boost their friends. I say this after being very active on a few different boards for well over a decade.

I went back and re-read the entire original post about the restaurant. I know @NotJrvedivici well enough to know his sense of humor, but even if the owner of the place doesn’t, he highlights ONLY the negative comments without taking note of the fact that many compliments were also included in the original post. Someone who’s hyper aware of the damage they can do online by responding would take more care to cover all sides. That’s just my opinion. I’ve seen FAR worse, and I’ve seen better–and I’ve also seen replies that are obviously written by a PR person.

2 Likes

Point taken. I think it’s human nature to address negative comments no matter the topic in review. I have no exp on forums until joining HO but I take in what I read here with equal respect because its subjective to indiv experience and on any given day the + and - run pretty close.

I will say this, I have learned that these restaurants exist by reading HO. My NJ dining exposure is rather small.

1 Like

The Chef/owner also posted a photo of a review.

I saw it. HO post links to reviews as well. I see no harm in trying to represent another side to customer remarks. At the end of the day, you make up your own mind.

It’s funny…I think if he had just mentioned the review, I might have been less critical. But he had to PROVE that it happened by posting a photo.

1 Like

I just responded to him, I didn’t appreciate being called a bully, lol, I clearly said his wife did a good job! The only one who can call me a bully is @gcaggiano I’ll admit I’ve busted his chops a bit.

People really need to be careful you really don’t want to see my bully side, it’s taken me a long time to become the even tempered bundle of joy I am now!

4 Likes

Your reply was just as worthwhile to read. If the owner hadn’t taken the time, I would not have read the additional exchange between you. Turns out to be far more well rounded when the conversation has more voices.

1 Like

When I was a kid I worked at a place that would take the bread butter off the tables and then use it for the lobster butter :slight_smile: yup…dead serious

1 Like

As I think I mentioned above of the public knew how many things that are served then recycled I think they would be astonished.

1 Like

Keep in mind I was 17-20 and didn’t know my way out of a paper bag. I still knew this wasn’t right back then.

There are a lot of restaurants that give free bread, but Indian restaurants never do (buffets excluded, of course).

I (truly) applaud your response to his post. :clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2:And you are a joy. SEZ ME :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

My biggest peeves are them not showing beverage prices on the menu, and being too damn cold because winter comes in every time the door is opened!

Looks like the owner returned and acknowledged your reply without any fur flying. I hope more restaurant owners will read Hungry Onion for comprehensive reviews and respond. A two sided conversation is more interesting.

3 Likes