New Jersey Restaurant Pet Peeves, Idiosyncrasies, Humorous Musings, etc

I also want to add as a new major pet peeve of mine: stemless martini glasses. I know they are quite popular (as are stemless wine glasses) and I understand restaurants probably use them because they do not break as easily, but I just hate them-- the look and the feel. If I’m at a dive bar, then whatever. But if I’m paying $13-$15 for a martini (see my post in the Strawberry’s Pub thread), I expect a stem!

9 Likes

Had a hankering for Chicken (Country) Fried Steak and Real Gyros recently. Greek Spot hit the spot for the gyros, although on reheating saw how much fat is in those delicious slices. Oh well.
Stopped at a VA Cracker Barrel today and had the country fried steak with a double side of turnip greens and biscuits. My GF had never been and loved her Catfish entree. Hard to find a good steak like that around here and did not have the luxury of looking for one during my visit.
$10 per entree was a nice change of pace. Also picked up a bag of Dr. Pepper Cotton candy and a Zagnut bar.

The latest post brought up a post I started but never posted (above).
Coincidentally I had southern fried pork chops last night at Zachary’s. Tasty with white gravy and mashed. Was a welcome meal after arriving home to no power.
Agree about the martini glass.

5 Likes

Drew’s is supposed to have a very good chicken fried steak currently on their menu. Buttermilk marinated Texas Wagyu round steak with jalapeno popper cream gravy. I have been dying to try it but Drew always sneaks in a special that I end up getting. One of these days…

2 Likes

I love the sound of that…been craving that flavor combination lately.

1 Like

Sat down at one of favorite restaurants in Monmouth County. Atmosphere…non pareil. Service? Top shelf. Food? Exquisite. The specials menu, recently printed had my favorite item which I ordered and ate for two days and would go back tomorrow for, BUT! At the bottom of the menu, written in a sharpie was a a warning…You Have This Table Until 7:30. Granted, it was a 5:30 reservation, but it sort of hit my ear/eye in an off tone way. Maybe because this time of year a lot of people with orange license plates push the boundaries of good taste to the point where this becomes necessary, however…consider me peeved. Oh yeah, and Yacht Rock Revue rules. Bye.

1 Like

That is one of my biggest pet peeves since the pandemic; 90 minute time limits. We temporarily stopped going to one of our favorite restaurants because of the time limits. They make you order everything at once and then bring out the entree the minute you finish taking the last bite of your appetizers. They would serve us several appetizers and an entree in 45 minutes. If we wanted fast food we would go to McDonalds. We haven’t gone back in over 2 months.

4 Likes

I feel the same about stemless glasses. I had to flex though when eating outside in waterfront areas on windy days. Keeping the glass filled also helps to prevent the glass from being blown over!

2 Likes

I had the Chicken Fried Steak at Drew’s last week. Indeed, it was excellent!

5 Likes

This is punching holes in my theory that you can only get a good CFS in Texas or Oklahoma. :grinning:

1 Like

Lol! Drew is an anomaly.

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ll sleep better tonight.

The only other time I’ve had CFS was in the mid-1980’s, in Texas when we stopped there briefly during a cross-country car trip.

1 Like

The Franklin Pard Diner has avery good CFS.

1 Like

My peeve against Texas Roadhouse (at least the Old Bridge/Parlin location) was that it was open for lunch only Friday through Sunday. My new peeve is that they changed their Friday opening from noon to 3PM, as we discovered yesterday when we arrived about 1:30.

(Yes, I know things are changing, but the idea that I have to check every time is still annoying.)

That’s unfortunate, the landscape for dining indoors is still evolving and about to change for the worse I believe. {{sigh}}

3 Likes

Hi from the Jersey shore, where this summering New Yorker is surrounded by summering Philadelphians. But I try to keep up with the news. From 94.3: The Point:

Toms River, NJ Rejoices with News of a Unique Ramen Restaurant Opening Soon

“Ramen, when done right, can be a delicacy. Ramen has roots. . . . According to a profile from APP.com, Wayne’s love of Ramen came from watching the Brittany Murphy movie ‘The Ramen Girl.’ . . . Wayne wanted to create a sit-down ramen restaurant, and he did. Roc N Ramen is now operating in New Rochelle, New York, the Bronx, and Dubai. . . . His next venture is a brand new chain of ramen restaurants called Vibe N Slurp. Ha!”

Ramen Girl

Thanks for posting this, @josh_karpf ! Have you been to the one in NY? I keep trying to get the folks at Ani Ramen to open in Central NJ… their latest spot is in New Brunswick, so they’re getting here.

I guess this is the thread to post this in… I don’t need to feel the need to call the places out because they happen to be favorites of mine, but if this weekend is any indication, I think the lack of staffing means we as customers may need to pay closer attention, especially when ordering food to go.

I had a friend in town this weekend, and twice we ordered sandwiches from his favorite place, and twice they made errors. The first was forgivable-a request for no onions, but they put onions on the sandwich. The second, not as much… No meat on a meat + cheese sub! Of course by the time we discovered this there was no way we could take it back. Just disappointing – especially on the heels of having ordered dinner from one of my very regular places… He heard me order it when I called, and there was no question I ordered correctly. We ordered early because we were going to a show at the Pony. When we were finally ready to eat, I opened the bag and saw that they had given us a completely different dish for him. Since he has a legit dairy allergy, he couldn’t eat the one they had given us. Thankfully mine was big enough for us to share, and when I called to tell them it had obviously been put into the computer wrong, they immediately offered to give me a credit.
Needless to say, I’ll definitely be checking anything I order immediately from now on!

4 Likes

You ordered a meat and cheese sub (like an Italian?) and you received only cheese? Is that correct? :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

I did take in from the All Season’s Diner in Eatontown last night. I said I wonder how much money they lost in the “pickle and cole slaw” class action suit they must have lost. I have never in my life witnessed such attention to take out detail; they literally “searched” my to-go bags, already packed and waiting for me, to make sure everything was in there. Low and behold as one Greek baritone voice declared;
" Go…go…it’s all there"
another proclaimed:
" There is NO PICKLE OR COLE SLAW!!!"

As if from the heaven’s above that was the voice of Zeus himself, suddenly it was all hands on deck for a pickle and cole slaw. I watched as 3 people charged the kitchen to retrieve a pickle and cole slaw for my order. Upon their return Zues smiled and said: “Thank you, your order is complete now”…

No sight of Pegasus though, I haven’t seen him since the Meadowlands.

7 Likes

Horrendous …