New Jersey Hot Dogs

Where is this? Are they grilled or dirty water dogs?

You nailed it! @heidicooksandbakes The dog is deep fried. Apparently this is considered a “Hot Texas weiner” which is an NJ creation and there’s even been a documentary on it. https://www.nj.com/entertainment/2021/03/njs-love-affair-with-the-texas-weiner-chronicled-in-new-documentary.html

There’s even an article on the Library of Congress on it?? https://www.loc.gov/collections/working-in-paterson/articles-and-essays/patersons-hot-texas-wiener-tradition/a-brief-history-of-the-hot-texas-wiener/

The place is in Clifton! What’s the place in Morristown you went to?

Damn. I just drove past that place.

Actually the Morristown dog from one of the carts on the Green was just onions, now that I think about it.
For years I sold Manny’s Texas Weiner restaurant supplies but never made it in. I’m up in that area often and now will have to stop by. Thanks.

1 Like

There’s another place right down the street that does Texas weiners too! And it seems like there are tons of other great eats in the area, definitely worth multiple repeat visits.

@KAOSKitchen hope you enjoy!

1 Like

Report: Costco, Edison.

I love hot dogs but never eat them. It’s probably been years. Well, today I could resist the urge no longer. The aroma got me. Damn, this was good! A religious experience. Quality bun too-- I was surprised.

9 Likes

Last Friday after the market in Harvey Cedars we stopped at Woody’s on the way home. My helper, Jenny got one of their (very good) hotdogs and just as she was about to pick it up she got raided. By a large black & white seagull who flew off with a 10" dog plus kraut. He left her the bun.

6 Likes

Is this the one at Black Eyed Susans? Is it worth checking out?

Yes & yes. Stop by tomorrow 9-11. I’m the guy with the jars.

3 Likes

There are a few Windmill threads out there so I’m not sure where to put this update, so I’m placing it here and will link to the Windmill site. As has been discussed the chain was sold, somewhere I read on here that someone tried it and they swore they changed the type of dogs they are using, I believe they said they could tell by the casing.

I will say this, I am NOT a hotdog connoisseur and while I do enjoy a Windmill dog during the summer, my 2 or 3 dogs a year hardly qualifies me as an expert. I can say that I did NOT notice any changes in their product. The dog was just as I remembered it, if anything maybe the casing had less “snap” when you bite into them? I can’t say for sure, but I did enjoy it none the less.

5 Likes

Forgot there was a NJ hot dogs thread.

I happened upon a Windmill dog and cheese fries over the holiday weekend and likewise found things tasted as I remembered.

3 Likes

Interesting…I wonder if the location matters? I have no horse in this race (or whatever that phrase is) - just find it interesting.

FWIW I went to the Red Bank location. Quick funny story; I ran into a “Foodie” from Brooklyn who was in the area for some reason and stopped to ask a police officer where to get the best hotdog in the area, the cop sent him to the Windmill!!

I told him he should take the 15/20 min trip to Long Branch and see the “real” Windmill and have a dog on the roof. He was fascinated and will probably take the return trip to check it out. He said the dogs were very good as well. lol Were any of you lurking around Red Bank on Saturday???

2 Likes

I was at the OG in Long Branch. Not only same food, but same guys behind the counter.

2 Likes

I think @heidicooksandbakes said she went to the Belmar location.

Any Rutt’s Hut intel? Used to go when visiting my grandparents in Clifton. I’m not a lover of the deep fried dogs, but still enjoyable and really enjoyed the nathans style “fries” and rings. Lots of nostalgia and grease.

1 Like

True!

1 Like

Same as it ever was. (which, to me is great)

Went to Hot Grill in Clifton last week and brought home a couple quarts of chili sauce.

3 Likes

Awesome I love returning to Rutt’s.

That chili is liquid gold this time of the year !

Lots of deep fried dogs. Must be a jersey thing ? Clifton?

1 Like