New England Lobster Rolls

Cut and paste from the Boston Globe-kind of long…but I think I need to spend some time in RI!

These lobster rolls top all the ‘best’ lists. But how are they, really? We tried them all

We ate our way through the ones that rule the ‘best’ lists.

By Diane Bair and Pamela Wright Globe Correspondent,Updated June 9, 2021, 12:00 p.m.

Views of boats and the Boston skyline — plus a killer lobster roll. Belle Isle Seafood delivers, all right.DIANE BAIR

“You know that lobsters are related to spiders, right?” a Debbie Downer-ish friend recently remarked. Whatever. Nothing can squelch our love for all things lobster. But whence the humble lobster roll? According to food historians, the lobster roll originated at a restaurant called Perry’s in Milford, Conn., in the Roaring Twenties. Perry’s hot grilled lobster sandwich was served in a long sub roll, not the squishy split-top hotdog bun we know and love today. Portable, edible lobster. Genius!

How did the lobster roll become an American classic? The tale gets murky, as food-origin stories often do, but Boston chef Jasper White played a role in the elevation of this simple concoction; he served a gourmet version with a saffron bun, fancy pickles, and house-made chips at Jasper’s (now Summer Shack) in the 1980s.

As every crustacean connoisseur knows, there are two kinds of lobster rolls: The Connecticut type, served warm with melted butter, and the Maine version, served chilled and lightly dressed with mayonnaise (a.k.a. lobster salad). A little crunch, from lettuce or a toasted bun, is the perfect foil for the sweet, subtle flavor of lobster. “Lobster rolls are the perfect sandwich because they offer the taste of summer — chunks of sweet Maine lobster meat — and you can eat them on the go,” says Marianne LaCroix of the Maine Lobster Marketing Collaborative.

We ate our way through the lobster rolls that rule the “best” lists, deeming some too puny, some too pricey (our Inner Yankee balks at $40 sandwiches), and some too mayonnaise-y. Herewith, the rolls that were heads (and tails) above the rest. Note: Prices are subject to change, and some spots close in bad weather.

Knot Norm’s plate with crinkle-cut fries: They finish the lobster meat in lobster butter at Knot Norm’s. No wonder this Newport newcomer is a favorite of folks in the food industry here.DIANE BAIR

Rhode Island

Knot Norm’s, Newport: When we walked into the hole-in-the-wall spot on Thames Street, there was a massive pile of fresh lobster meat on the counter, awaiting transformation. It took major self-control not to fling ourselves onto the pile and start stuffing our faces. Our waitperson apologized for the price of their lobster roll ($30) — ”Lobster prices are insane right now!” she said — but this one is worth it. They finish the lobster meat in house-made lobster butter, and serve it with a sweep of aioli, some micro greens, and lemon, on a toasted hot dog bun. Also on the plate: Cape Cod Potato Chips, house-made pickles, and slaw. We gobbled it right down and didn’t offer to share, a testament to its deliciousness. They’ve got a couple of indoor tables, but the patio out back is more festive. This one opened last October; get here before everyone discovers it. Also in Norwalk, Conn. $30; 401-619-7220; www.knotnorms.com.

Easton’s Beach Snack Bar, Newport: If you believe “too much is never enough,” wrap your mind around this concept: the double lobster roll. This beachfront snack bar serves twin lobster rolls with a pile of fries for the best price in town: $19.97, at this writing. These are the lobster-salad type, made with about a third-pound of lobster meat. They also sell a “plain & simple” version — just chilled lobster (the meat of one entire crustacean, they say), served with drawn butter and fries, for $21.97. Eat on the deck overlooking the beach, and wash it down with Del’s Lemonade. 401-855-1910; www.eastonsbeach.com.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Matunuck Oyster Bar, South Kingstown: Oyster, schmoyster, order the lobster roll, featuring large chunks of meat, light mayo, and chopped celery on a grilled buttery split-top roll, served with fries or a salad. $22.95; 401-783-4202; www.rhodyoysters.com.

Blount Clam Shack on the Waterfront, Warren: This worthy roll is made with a half-pound of meat on an extra-long roll. Get it undressed with a side of melted butter or chilled and tossed with dill-flecked mayonnaise. Half-pounder, $26.99; quarter-pound roll, $17.99; 401-245-1800; www.blountretail.com.

New Hampshire

Rye Harbor Lobster Pound, Rye: This family-owned dockside spot goes against the tide by offering a hot-buttered roll, swimming in a sherry-spiked butter sauce. Holy mother of Neptune, that’s good! No wonder Yankee Magazine, WBUR, and others rave. Make sure that someone in your party orders the award-winning “fluffy” chowder too — clam chowder studded with chunks of that sherry-soaked lobster meat. $20; 603-964-7845; www.facebook.com/ryeharborlobsterpound.

HONORABLE MENTION

The Beach Plum, North Hampton: Got dainty eaters plus lumberjack-ian appetites in your bunch? The Beach Plum (also in Portsmouth, Salem, and Epping), a New Hampshire Magazine favorite, offers its formidable roll in five sizes (from 4 ounces to 10 ounces of lobster meat). Prices range from $18.29 to $33.29. 603-964-7451; www.thebeachplum.net.

Connecticut

Lobster Landing, Clinton: “Best lobster roll in New England,” they claim. That’s pretty cheeky. But wow, the lobster rolls served up at this cheery waterfront shack are darn good — definitely the best we sampled in the Nutmeg State. The Long Island Sound setting is spectacular, and the hot lobster roll lives up to the hype — it’s a quarter pound of warm meat, liberally drizzled with melted butter and a splash of lemon on a slightly-charred bun. $19.75; 860-669-2005; www.facebook.com/LobsterLandingLLC.

Maine

McLoons Lobster Shack, South Thomaston: There’s no shortage of killer lobster rolls in Maine, but this Spruce Head spot seems to be the instant favorite of all who discover it, including food writers from Maine Eater and GQ. What’s not to love about lobster freshly plucked from nearby crates and served with a slick of mayo on the bun — not mixed into the lobster, so that the sweetness of the meat really shines — or warm butter. (Possibly both, if you ask, but c’mon.) Add a whoopie pie, and you’ve got the most perfect summertime meal in Maine. $21.55; 207-593-1382; www.mcloonslobster.com.

Bite Into Maine, Cape Elizabeth: This food truck, a fixture at Fort Williams Park near Portland Head Light, won raves from USA Today, Gourmet, Food & Wine, so expect a wait. They sell an epic XL lobster roll, with 6 ounces of meat (add an extra $6) or a 4.5-ounce roll, served five ways: Maine Style (with mayo and fresh chives); Connecticut Style (just warm butter); Picnic Style (with coleslaw and celery salt), and three spicy mayo versions, if you hanker for a lobster roll with a kick: chipotle, wasabi, or yellow curry. Other takeout locations: The Commissary in Scarborough and at Allagash Brewing Co., Portland. $24; XL, $30; 207-286-6142; www.biteintomaine.com.

Eventide Oyster Co, Portland (also in Boston): This hip seafood shack in Portland’s Old Port District does a lobster roll with a twist: They dress the meat in brown butter, lemon, and chives, and serve it in an Asian-style steamed bun. No wonder Outside Magazine and Down East Magazine lavished it with praise. You’ll be dreaming about this one come January. $17 (Portland); $16/$23 (Boston); 207-774-8538; www.eventideoysterco.com.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster, Freeport: Skip the outlet stores and head to this modest seafood shack on the harbor, where they’ve been slinging lobster meat into rolls since 1970 . Maine Eater loves this place and so will you. $17.95; $18.95 with fries. Bonus points for the tasty home-made desserts. 207-865-4888; www.harraseeketlunchandlobster.com.

Five Islands Lobster Co., Georgetown: Got a manly-man appetite (regardless of gender)? Consider the Big Boy, featuring 10 ounces of meat, lightly dressed and stuffed into a sturdy potato roll. This Outside Magazine favorite comes with chips, or add a basket of fries for two bucks. Price not available. 207-371-2990; www.fiveislandslobster.com.

Massachusetts

Belle Isle Seafood, Winthrop: We loved our wise-cracking server (“I support you on your hydration journey,” she said solemnly, handing over our beer), and the setting is perfect: Cool views of the Boston skyline across the water, and lots of action at the yacht club next door. This one is no secret — Phantom Gourmet has been here a few times — but it is definitely a fun place to hang out and eat yourself silly. Indoors, they’ve got picnic tables, a bar, and TVs tuned to sports; outdoors, there are tables under an awning or in full-on sunshine. You can pay extra and get all tail meat, but the regular lobster roll is quite generous, featuring a half-pound of chunky meat lightly tossed with mayo, and a bit of lettuce, tucked into a char-marked bun and served with a choice of sides. (Get the onion rings.) Cash only; ATM on site. Regular lobster roll, $30.99; 617-567-1619; www.belleisleseafood.net.

The Wicked Lobster Roll served at The Skipper is made with a half-pound of meat and served with . . . butter. That’s it. Plus extra butter, if you are in total indulgent mode.DIANE BAIR

The Skipper Chowder House, South Yarmouth: The folks at the Cape Cod Chamber tipped us off to this one. Since 1936, the Skipper has been ladling out award-winning chowder, including a “fried clam chowdah” that was featured on the Travel Channel. But the lobster rolls! They offer three versions: a traditional one with four ounces of lobster salad and green leaf lettuce on a grilled brioche roll ($22.99), a Lobster Roll Supreme (a half pound of lobster salad on a French roll ($30.99) and finally, the “Wicked Awesome” version — a half-pound of fresh lobster served hot with butter— with extra butter on the side ($31.99) if you’re in that “Treat Yo Self” mode. Bonus: The onsite ice cream shack. Extra bonus: Views of Nantucket Sound, right across the street. 508-394-7406; www.skipperrestaurant.com.

Lobster roll at Neptune OysterWIQAN ANG FOR THE BOSTON GLOBE/FILE

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Neptune Oyster, Boston: This tiny, upscale North End joint serves a hot buttered, or cold-with-mayo lobster roll on a toasted brioche roll that wins raves from pubs like Bon Appetit, served with first-rate fries. That sound you hear is a roomful of foodies moaning with pleasure. $34; 617-742-3474; www.neptuneoyster.com.

Little Harbor Lobster Co., Marblehead: It’s worth a drive to M’head to seek out this tucked-away fish market overlooking Little Harbor. The lobster is caught daily by one of the owners, Tim O’Keefe, so it couldn’t be fresher. Bonus points for fantastic rolls, made by artisan bakers A & J King of Salem. $28.99; 781-639-1961; www.littleharborlobster.com.

Sesuit Harbor Café, Dennis: This lobster buoy-bedecked shack, overlooking a marina, looks like a movie set. But the “world famous lobster roll” is the real deal, featuring lobster salad, green leaf lettuce, and sliced tomato tucked into a toasted roll. Served with fries and slaw, it’s perfection on a plate, according to our foodie friend, Ernie Daman of Mashpee: “It had tail meat, it was huge, and it was fantastic.” $24.50 (cash only); 508-385-6134; www.sesuit-harbor-cafe.com.

Little Harbor Lobster Company’s lobster rollDIANE BAIR

Diane Bair and Pamela Wright can be reached at bairwright@gmail.com

6 Likes

Is it just me or does only some of this sound like first-hand experience? The rest sounds like aggregated content from other sources, to me anyway.

FWIW, many friends in the greater Rockland, Maine area agree that McLoons is the best. It is certainly picturesque and has a nice view. (Old photo.)

2 Likes

Can’t say I got that but there are 2 bylines so maybe they affected the tone?

Well is is the Globe, and most of their food writing seems to crib liberally from other sources (including these forums). Good research I suppose?

I’m always hoping for new finds in terms of lobster rolls. I didn’t find any here unfortunately. The places that do seem the result of firsthand experience tend to value atmosphere as much as product. Anyone who says oysters, schmoysters has likely never dined at Matunuk Oyster Bar, which rivals any seafood restaurant anywhere.

2 Likes

Talking about lobster rolls - we will walk around World’s End (Hingham) on Sunday. Any good /decent lobster rolls (bonus points for one with hot butter and not mayo) around the area (willing to drive around a bit)

I was disappointed that Matunuck was not included but not that much…they don’t need much more publicity. Definitely my happy RI summer place. And the lobster roll is awesome.

1 Like

Green Harbor Lobster Pound in Marshfield has the best rolls I have had on the South Shore. Alas, it is not of the hot buttered variety. A bit closer to World’s End is Hingham Lobster Pound. It’s a very nice 30+ min drive down 3A from World’s End.

My dogs and family love World’s End. Make sure you do a tick check when you get home.

2 Likes

Matunuk was included in the article as an honorable mention. It sort of dismissed everything but the lobster roll, which made me suspicious if the author had actually been there. Their roll is good, however the rest of the seafood and produce is so pristinely fresh I have a hard time imagining that wouldn’t be alluded to in some way.

1 Like

Thanks - Green Harbor looks good. Are the lobster rolls at Hingham Lobster Pound served in a hamburger bun ? Some photos look
like it but it’s not clear

hmmm, this is another place that somehow I’ve never made it to despite annual Narragansett trips. I’ve clearly got work to do.

1 Like

I honestly have not been to the Hingham Lobster Pound in years, I just mentioned it as something closer.

If you go to Green Harbor, call to order when you are leaving World’s End as orders can take a bit. Green Harbor has picnic tables, but you can also walk a block up Beach Street and eat them there.

I couldn’t say enough good things about Matunuk. It is definitely worth prioritizing on your next visit. They source from their own oyster farm, own vegetable farm and local fisherman. Combine that with a beautiful location (roof deck is spectacular) and talented chef who let’s the ingredients shine. It’s a gem.

2 Likes

Oh geez @passing_thru I thought for sure Matunuck was on your radar so didn’t even bother to mention it to (and thanks @uni for pointing out that it got some mention in the Globe article…I’m such a scatterbrain lately and do a lot of my “fun” internet scouring at 4 am). @passing_thru Get thee to Matunuck but it’s all about timing. It can be a shitshow to get a table there. I suggest going right at opening (11 or 11:30 am? I dunno know).

2 Likes

During COVID we definitely made reservations for Matunuck. We were there last week. They are full capacity, but reservations still seem like a good idea.

2 Likes

Oh right…reservations. Pandemic. Oh yeah.

I took the article as lazy when it came to the Maine recommendations. Maine Eater hasn’t existed in years so why use that website as a resource when it’s clearly dated. There’s numerous spots they could’ve listed.

5 Likes

haha, I know about Matunuck, I’ve just never made it there. I sometimes get lazy on these Narragansett vacations and end up just reading and lazing around all day instead of venturing out to go do things! so there’s some holes in where I’ve gone to down there.

I feel like this year there’s gonna be a lot of this, what with everyone in the world finally going out. I’m thinking that I may end up with a lot of Plan B home cooked seafood meals this vacation as I flee in terror from restaurants with too many people and not enough help.

3 Likes

Two years ago my wife and I had a lobster roll at Fresco’s in Malden, and the next day at Matunuck. The one at Fresco’s was much better.

1 Like

Just as a follow up - After our hike at World’s End (great as always) we ended up for different reasons at Lobster Barn in Abington which turned out to be a very tasty lobster roll (even though it wasn’t butter based) with very large chunks of fresh lobster. The only small complain might be that the roll was relatively small for the price.

8 Likes

Follow up from today’s Globe:

We asked Globe readers about their favorite lobster rolls. They did not disappoint

By Diane Bair and Pamela Wright Globe Correspondent,Updated June 16, 2021, 1:59 p.m.

Row 34’s Warm Buttered Lobster RollMORGAN IONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Move over, Ben Affleck and JLo: It turns out a seafood sandwich in a squishy bun is capable of breaking the Internet, too. Our recent story — a look at the best-reviewed lobster rolls in New England — drew high readership and a boatload of comments. The Globe also ran a quick online survey with the story, asking readers to weigh in with their favorites. Here’s a look at those findings, coupled with responses we got from readers. To those who got their claws out because we ignored their favorite spot: Nah, we didn’t miss it — we just didn’t love it as much as you do. After eating our body weight in lobster rolls, we’re mighty picky.

All told, 126 readers responded to the online survey, and another dozen or so (and counting) wrote to us directly. Readers came mainly from Massachusetts, Maine, and Connecticut, along with some outside our region: Pennsylvania, Ohio, Tennessee, California, Colorado, Michigan, and “unfortunately, Florida,” as one woman wrote — proving that the love of a lobster roll knows no geographic boundaries.

A lobster roll at Belle Isle Seafood in Winthrop.JESSICA RINALDI/GLOBE STAFF

Get The Big To-Do in your inboxYour guide to staying entertained, from live shows and outdoor fun to the newest in museums, movies, TV, books, dining, and more.

Enter Email

The best lobster roll? How about the Top 100?

The most amazing finding: you recommended 84 different places. Many of them were named by precisely one person, but still. (Go to the end of this story to see the list.) You let your hometown pride show; even folks from inland areas were bullish about the lobster roll available in their (ocean-free) backyard. And to the people who swore that the lobster rolls from their very own kitchen are the best in the world, we say, Yay you, ya big showoff! Marcia and Bruce, we’ll keep your addresses a secret.

The best of the best of the best

You Globe readers sure are passionate about lobster rolls, and you let the superlatives roll. Your picks were not merely the best in New England, but “the best money can buy” (according to Richard Marden of West Wareham, referring to the Raw Bar in Mashpee), “the best of all worlds,” (Sara of Portland, describing Bite into Maine’s lobster roll), and “the standard by which all lobster rolls are measured” (Charlie P. of Beverly, regarding Red’s Eats in Wiscasset, Maine). We could practically taste the crave-worthy crustacean at The Lobster Pot in Bristol, R.I., as described by Linda Lindauer of Boston: “Oh, those gorgeous meaty chunks take the blue ribbon,” she wrote. “Perfectly steamed, served cold, lightly dressed, a satisfying mouthful!”

A lobster roll at Red’s Eats in Wiscasset, Maine.RYAN DAVID BROWN/NYT

Size matters

The most common compliment was “huge.” Globe readers like them big and overstuffed with lobster. A quarter of respondents raved about the amount of meat in their favorite roll. “Fresh lobster that overflows the roll,” raved John Sandell of Sharon about the lobster roll at Green Harbor Lobster Pound in Marshfield. You want so much lobster falling out of that thing, you have to eat it with a fork.

Butter vs. mayo — the debate ends here

We asked you to help settle the debate: Do you prefer Connecticut-style lobster rolls (hot, with butter) or Maine style (cold, with mayo)? Pass the Hellman’s; Maine was the clear choice here, with 85 respondents voting for that version, as opposed to 34 folks who prefer buttery and hot, out of 119 people who voted in this category.

Hold the fancy fixings

You’re also purists. Most of you don’t like a lot of extra stuff junking up your lobster roll, according to your comments. One exception was Susan of Groton, who raved about the avocado specialty lobster roll (“super-fresh and delicious!”) with fried avocado at Bob Lobster in Newbury. Many readers praised the no-frills aspect of their top picks, like Sandy of Lexington, a fan of Woodman’s of Essex, who raved, “Perfectly cooked lobster meat, barely touched by any other ingredients,” and Jeanne Medieros of Massachusetts (no town), who loves the roll at the Bayside Restaurant in Westport and has some strong feelings about mix-ins: “Stuffed with lobster, a dab of mayo (NO CHIVES! NO DILL! NO!)”

Fab fries, best bread

Coleslaw barely rated a mention, but fabulous fries and house-made chips got a shout out from some readers. If you’re a fry fan, head to Lobster Express in Norwell (“amazing fries,” a reader raved), The Seafood Shanty in Bourne, and Scotti’s Drive-In in Leeds (“fabulous seasoned crispy curly fries!” Nancy Goodman of Hadley noted).

A note to lobster roll purveyors who offer an extra-special base for that tasty lobster: It’s appreciated. Lobster Express in Norwell is home to a “buttered sweet brioche roll”, according to Arleen Smith of Hull, while Foster’s Downeast Clambake in York, Maine, got a shout-out from Greg of Boston for its “very hearty, house-baked roll, much better than a skimpy hot dog roll.”

James Hook & Co. lobster rollsRIZER, GEORGE GLOBE STAFF

What you’ll pay

Given that lobster is pricey right now, a lobster roll is a luxury treat. We asked how much you were willing to spend for a (presumably fabulous) one. Some offered a range they were comfortable with, or said they’d pay whatever their favorite lobster pound was charging, but the most common response was $25 (by 32 readers). Ten people would spend $20 for one. A few readers said that price was no object: Janet of Marshfield said “A good one is priceless,” while Rosemary of Maine noted, “Whatever I have to spend for this amazing treat.” Ladies, if we ever go out for lunch, you’re buying.

Gotta have a view

If you’re paying these prices for a meal, you want it to come with a view, no? Places that got high marks for ambience included Portland Lobster Co. in Portland (“live music, drinks on the wharf, awesome!” wrote Cynthia of Saco, Maine), along with Thurston’s Lobster Pound in Bernard, Maine; Seafood Shanty in Bourne; Sesuit Harbor Café in Dennis; and Bite into Maine in Cape Elizabeth, Maine.

Who do you love?

“A lobster roll is a many-splendored thing. Translation: There are many great places to enjoy them,” wrote Andrew R. of La Jolla, Calif. Amen to that, Andrew! Most of the recommendations we got were for seafood joints plain and fancy, but there were a few surprising locations, like Nightshade Noodle Bar in Lynn, Grace Church in Vineyard Haven (for their Friday night lobster roll dinners), Poor Boy’s Diner in Londonderry, N.H., Warren Tavern, Boston; and Kelly’s Roast Beef, Saugus.

We got some grief for omitting Red’s Eats in Wiscasset, Maine. Yes , we’ve heard of the place — who hasn’t? But frankly, we wouldn’t wait an hour and a half for any sandwich, unless Chris Hemsworth was working the counter, wearing only an apron. (Especially since you can get a perfectly fine lobster roll at Sprague’s, right across the street.) Still, we’re impressed by Red’s zealous fan base. Not everyone’s a believer, though — a reader from Arlington wrote, “I’m glad to see that Red’s Eats has dropped off the list. It was overhyped for no apparent reason.”

Your favorites among the places we mentioned :

Sesuit Harbor Café, Dennis (serious fan base here); Bite into Maine, Cape Elizabeth, Maine; The Skipper, South Yarmouth; Lobster Landing, Clinton, Conn.; Belle Isle Seafood, Winthrop; Neptune Oyster, Boston; and Blount Clam Shack, Warren, R.I.

Best lobster roll we missed: Green Harbor Lobster Pound, Marshfield

You poured the love on this one like Connecticut pours on the hot butter. At least a half-dozen readers deemed this one their favorite, praising its hefty size and simplicity. “It’s simple and the best — try the jumbo,” advised Ellen Thurston of Duxbury. “It’s cash only — come early since they run out,” said John Sandell of Sharon, adding, “the best!”

Runners-up:

Other lobster rolls that proved to be fan favorites include Brax Landing in Harwich Port; Bob Lobster, Newbury; Woodman’s of Essex; Reel House, East Boston; Lobster Shack, Ogunquit, Maine; the Raw Bar in Mashpee; the Clam Shack, Kennebunk, Maine; Red’s Eats, Wiscasset, Maine; and Cousins Maine Lobster food trucks (in Massachusetts, Maine, and Connecticut).

Globe reader picks for best lobster roll in New England:

Herewith, a list of the favorites from our reader poll and Bair/Wright’s inbox. Hope you’re hungry; it’ll take you from now to Labor Day to sample them all.

Horse & Carriage, Norfolk; Kelly’s Roast Beef, Saugus; Harry’s Restaurant & Diner, Westborough; James Hook & Co., Boston; Farnum’s, Essex; Raw Bar, Mashpee; Jimmy’s Portside, Narragansett, R.I.; Quarterdeck, Falmouth; the Clam Shack, Kennebunk; Brax Landing, Harwich Port; Captain Scott’s, New London, Conn.; The Bayside Restaurant, Westport; Grace Church, Vineyard Haven; Abbott’s Lobster, Noank, Conn.; Lobster Shack, Ogunquit, Maine; Eventide, Boston; Row 34, Boston; Talise, Annisquam; Lobster Shack, Newport, R.I.; Portland Lobster Co., Portland; Red’s Eats, Wiscasset; Barking Claw, Falmouth; Takeaway, Norwood; The Snack Shack, Haydenville; Blount Clam Shack, Warren, R.I.; Lobster Pound, Rockport; the Chart Room, Cataumet; Chatham Fish Pier, Chatham; Nightshade Noodle Bar, Lynn; Seaport Grille, Gloucester; Monahan’s, Narragansett, R.I.; Thurston’s Lobster Pound, Bernard, Maine; Lobster Pot, Bristol, Rhode Island; Bob Lobster, Newbury; Spanky’s Clam Shack, Hyannis; Cousin’s Maine Lobster food truck; The Lobster Boat, Litchfield, N.H.; Maguire’s Bar & Grill, North Easton; Green Harbor Lobster Pound, Marshfield; Jake’s Seafood, Hull; Seafood Ketch, Bar Harbor, Maine; Bob’s Clam Shack, Kittery, Maine; Basco Grill, Eastham; Skipjack’s at Patriot Place, Foxborough; Geno’s Chowder & Sandwich Shop, Portsmouth, N.H.; Burke’s Seafood, Quincy; Anthony’s, Stoneham; Woodman’s of Essex, Essex; Foster’s Downeast Clambake, York, Maine; PJ’s, Wellfleet; Alisson’s, Kennebunkport, Maine; Stowe’s Seafood, West Haven, Conn.; Anthony’s, Middletown, R.I.; J.P’s Restaurant & Pub, Westborough; Lobster Express, Norwell; Forestdale Bait & Tackle Fish Market, Forestdale; Scotti’s Drive-In, Leeds; Joe’s on a Roll, Beverly; Cap’t Cass, Orleans; Charlotte’s Legendary Lobster Pound, Southwest Harbor, Maine; Little Harbor Fish Market, Marblehead; the Seafood Shanty, Bourne; Hingham Lobster Pound, Hingham; Sandy’s Fish & Chip at John’s Fish Market, Vineyard Haven; Scargo Café, Dennis; The Lobster Trap, Bourne; Poor Boy’s Diner, Londonderry, N.H.; Joe & Lenny’s Fish Tale, Madison, Conn.; The Raw Bar, Hyannis; Reel House, East Boston; Tiny’s Restaurant, Ayer; Choate Bridge Pub, Ipswich; Warren Tavern, Boston; Fresh Pond Seafood, Arlington; Captain Jack’s, Easthampton; Young’s Fish Market, Orleans; Lobster Shack, East Haven, Conn.; Lobster Pound, Guilford, Conn.; Markey’s Lobster Pool, Seabrook, N.H.; Maine Diner, Wells, Maine; Corea Lunch on the Wharf, Corea, Maine; Neptune Oyster, Boston; The Skipper, South Yarmouth; Sesuit Harbor Café, Dennis; Bite into Maine, Cape Elizabeth, Maine; Belle Isle Seafood, Winthrop.

Diane Bair and Pamela Wright can be reached at bairwright@gmail.com

3 Likes