Nana's Kitchen- Middletown, NJ

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Anyone been to Fresh in Highlands?

I asked about hummus-gate…apparently it’s made in house, out of cannellini beans. Thus the Italian connection any why it may have tasted different than expected as well.

1 Like

they’ve also updated them menu to reflect this fact, so hopefully no more confusion re: hummus…

1 Like

The family made a visit last sat. for a special occasion. I’ll just focus on the food; everything was really good to exceptional. Orders for mains were salmon, chicken parm, pappardelle bolognese, linguini with clams, and two pork chop Milanese (on special) -all nice size portions.
Didn’t try the first three but all plates were cleaned and were given high marks. The linguini was excellent- clams were still soft and buttery, not chewy at all. You could taste the garlic but not at the point over overpowering the delicate clams. The pork chop was outstanding - tender, nice and thin, not greasy and a great crust with the breading. One of the best pork dishes I’ve had since moving here- CJ & JR - I recommend you guys try it and let me know your thoughts.
Apps were a wedge salad that I didn’t try but again got high marks, a grilled shrimp dish with a sriracha sauce that also got high praise and an arugula salad with beets and oranges that was nice and light and bright. The bread served was what I believe to be housemade rolls lightly seasoned with a nice dollop of olive oil that I added to with the tableside oil ramekin. Really outstanding and fresh, dough and crusty, I had three before I realized I needed to stop.
We also enjoyed a nice dish of fresh housemade mozzarella over roasted tomatoes with nice pop of fresh basil. The mozz was super milky- no lie to say it was the best I’ve had since leaving SI and could run with some of the top spots there. Any good fresh mozz fans should check it out. (also open to any good fresh mozz spots locally as Jimmi pecis, sickles, and other spots around here are wanting in that category).
All in all a really good meal- I know there’s a lot of Eye-talian joints around locally, but this was definitely a notch or two above, elevated cooking for sure.
While they don’t have a kids menu per se, the had no problem fixing up linguini with butter and chicken Milanese for my little one. We got there around 6 and the place filled up to capacity by 7 and by 8 there were literally people waiting outside for tables, so word must be out. I’d recommend trying this spot, going prior to 7 would def be easiest for a reservation or walk in and they have plenty of parking which is always nice for those of us who’ve suffered through Red Bank dining.

7 Likes

Best fresh mozzarella for my money is Aleo’s in Lincroft in the Acme Shopping center.

2 Likes

I’ll need to try them- I have heard good things about that spot.
Jimmi Pecci’s was esp disappointing in that the ball of mozz was like 20 bucks and clearly a cpl days old, no milkiness at all. I’m spoiled by Pastosa where I could go to spots and get them still warm on the weekends and half the size of pecks. I hate being jammed for crap like that, no reason to make all 2 lb balls of mozz.

2 Likes

While we wait for a Pastosa branch locally, Livotis does a good job making it in front of you if Aleo is out of the way.

Taliercio has good mozz too, and is my home base…but you won’t get it warm.

That’s true forgot about livotis, terrible job by me. Btw don’t hold your breath for pastors. Apparently it’s too saturated around these parts for one, so Manalapan will have to do

Have you tried Livoti’s? They are my local benchmark, but I’ve never tried Aleo’s.

Good to hear you had a nice meal there. Did you happen to take a pic of this pork chop?

Our friends joined us for our first dinner at Nana’s on July 11. Restaurants located in strip smalls “scare” me…I was pleasantly surprised at Nana’s. Nice venue. Good table spacing, nice colors and interesting artwork on the walls. Note: haven’t seen a shaker of salt on a table in a long time, but one was on our table.

It was a Thursday and only 6 tables were occupied. We were bought bread (excellent) and water right away. Our waitress told us the specials. For the appetizers I had Nana’s Meatballs and our friends split a Caesars Salad. The meatballs, three small ones, were very tasty. The salad had no taste to it…bland.

For our entrees we all had specials…3 orders of the Halibut and 1 Veal Marsala. The Veal dish was basic but very good and a good sized portion. The Halibut came over fingerling potatoes and spinach. The fish was cooked to perfection and the fingerlings were great. Like Fresh in the Highlands, the fish dish was on the small side, although it was enough for the three of us.

All said we had a very good experience and will be back. The tab for the four of us, including tip, was $190. Note: as with others we did also witness the owner/chef? come to 2 tables, sit down and converse…maybe those folks were regulars, I dunno, but given the few tables that were occupied I would have though he would have come over to our table.

4 Likes

We returned for our second visit to Nana’s with our same friends as the first visit. We went on a Wednesday evening at 6:30. We were one of 5 tables occupied. Note: BYOB

The guys had the Prix Fixe ($30)……big salad, one rigatoni Bolognese and one chicken Milanese, and dessert. All good. The ladies shared a big salad special and both had the pan seared Florida monk fish special. Wow…the monk fish was cooked to perfection and excellent.

As like last time the service was excellent…attentive and professional.

All in all, another great meal had by all. This is becoming one of our very favorite BYOB places in Monmouth County, along with Giorgia, Angelica’s, Clementine’s, Fresh and Porcini.

Bill for the four of us, including tax and tip was $190.

7 Likes

Does anyone know anything about this steak?

This thing isn’t fooling around…

2 Likes

I called this place Thursday night to ask about this steak. It was 7:30 and no on answered. It went to a voicemail. Are they still open?

1 Like

Just checked in. Yes still open, expanding actually. Can only imagine that it was an oversight. Hopefully we get to hear about you taking this beast down one day!

FYI. Also saw a 50+ oz tomahawk on their IG account

They have the tomahawks tonight. 110.00

I think he said 60oz but it was kind of loud in the background. Whatever it is, it is big.

2 Likes

Oh man. That’s sounds made for you dude!!!
If you go check out the house made bread as well but dont waste too much space on that!

Just saw this on their ig

1 Like

just popped up on my FB page-for the steak heads on HO, I know it’s been mentioned a few times before.
17%20PM

2 Likes

Okie dokie, my wife and I had a gift card for this place and we decided we needed something other than turkey and stuffing for the holiday weekend, so we went Wednesday night. The food was solid, I had a Cesar salad which was very good, my wife a beet salad which was equally as good. I went for the pork chop murphy which was solid and my wife got the salmon which she enjoyed. The real reason for the write up was the entertainment and the service.

First the service, we arrived around 7pm on the Wednesday night before thanksgiving, I wasn’t sure what to expect but the place had maybe 7-8 tables of which 3 were 5 tops +. There was 1 server, 1 food runner and 1 hostess who besides seating people was useless. I enjoyed watching the waitress (who at one point reached 9 occupied tables) provide quite adequate service to all her tables. Obviously, the service was a bit “rushed” with her visits, but nothing went lacking I was truly surprised. She hustled and got the job done.

Food runner was excellent helping and assisting as he should, the hostess though really p*ssed me off. I lterally wanted to grab a water pitcher and walk around filling glasses, check on tables do SOMETHING!?!?!?!?! I don’t blame the person, but whoever manages the place should either be there -OR- cross train ALL STAFF to pitch in when needed.

I’m not blaming the hostess, she did nothing wrong, but she did nothing to help a server who was obviously in the weeds, but still holding her own.

Next was the entertainment. I have no idea who they were, nor why they were there, but they had a duo playing, a male piano player and vocalist and a female vocalist. They were EXCELLENT. They really seemed out of place playing at a BYO Italian restaurant in front of 40± people on a Wednesday night.
(I’m going to attempt uploading a brief video I took) They did a wide variety of songs; however, they did a Phantom of the Opera set, which was AMAZING. Having seen the play a few times I’m a big fan, I could have sworn I heard the male say the female singer had played Chrstine, not sure if that was in a high school version or Broadway, but for a Wednesday night in Middletown NJ, you got a hell of a rendition of the songs from Phantom.

I would go back just for the entertainment value if they were going to continue to have entertainment of this quality.

(( file size too large to upload video, sorry ))

7 Likes