Name that pizza - California

Check it out @paranoidgarliclover . It’s a really nice atmosphere there too in their courtyard area. You can make a reservation easily or just walk in too sometimes.

hands!

Good to know b/c I’m still basically only eating outdoors. Will post, if I try it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now folks that have seen this page know I really love Prime, and it’s a fine pie and a fine price - 23 bucks for a large pie. But…and what we do here is nitpick sometimes…the crust might be a bit toothsome sometimes, it’s thin alright, just saying the whole crust cheese sauce coming together is more like a B+…if you want an A in this town you really need to go to Beverly Hills for the Mulberry St slices… just thinner crust and more all coming together better as one…

1 Like

Not SoCal

5 Likes

Tony’s?

2 Likes

Bingo!!

2 Likes

That’s a fine pie - I think they still use coal oven on those maybe you know. One of my favorite eating neighborhoods anywhere. Golden Boy clam pizza is a solid slice. What other pizza do you get in North Beach? Tommaso’s still good?

1 Like

Welcome back.

1 Like

thank you

Oh yum! Not enough clams, tho.

Yes, they have coal, wood and some others - I think 8 ovens.
https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/tonys-pizza-napoletana-chef-favorites-17517273.php?IPID=SFGate-HP-Editors-Picks

There are chopped clams mixed in, the clams on top are really just for show. But the deep clam flavor was lacking. The best clam pies make some sort of sauce with the clam liquor and spread it on top for a deeper briny intensity. Crust was great.

very cool - gotta say I’m surprised to see Tony’s get involved with Detroit and St Louis styles…but I always enjoy myself there.

TPN_Dinner_Menu_09212022_220515.pdf (tonyspizzanapoletana.com)

What’s your favorite clam pie up there?

1 Like

Hmmm good question, there aren’t a ton of options actually. Fiorella made a good clam pie but now I see it is no longer on the menu; DamnFine had one when they first opened but removed it also. Golden Boy of course, but I find their squares taste mostly of industrial garlic. Delfina does a good one, not New Haven style, it is on red sauce.

1 Like

Detroit Style is having a moment here - Square Pie Guys, Joyride, Cellermaker House of Pizza, Sunset Squares, etc.

2 Likes

same these parts and I think i saw even pizza hut and spots like that getting into it based on tv ads. I’ll say this, for me, it’s better than St Louis style, but it’s still not my first second or third choice.

1 Like

Well, it’s not really a clam pie per se but it’s close and pretty tasty…it’s sort of a cheesy garlic pizza roof over a bowl of spicy fennel clams - it’s certainly clammy…

Ronan continues to be one of the better pizza spots in LA, and one of the pricier too. But you know pricy pizza can still be a value.

Ronan | Los Angeles (ronanla.com)

spot also has nice cocktails including some creative takes on tiki drinks

HEAD IN THE CLOUDS — TEQUILA BLANCO, CAMPARI, MACADAMIA ORGEAT, GRAPEFRUIT, MANDARIN MERINGUE $17
DIVING BELL VOLUME II — MEZCAL, BOMBAY SAPPHIRE, AMARO FORO, CARMELIZED PINEAPPLE, LIME, HABANERO $17
SHIPWRECK’D — BACARDI 8-YEAR, PINEAPPLE, GINGER, LIME, DARK RUM FLOAT $16
POOL PARTY — APPLETON ESTATE 12-YEAR, DIPLOMATICO RESERVA, ORANGE LIQEUR, ORGEAT, LIME $16
CIGARETTES AFTER SEX — OVER-PROOF RYE, COGNAC, VELVET FALERNUM, SALTED PASSION FRUIT, CASSIS, SMOKE $17
2 Likes

Albatross Pizza in Berkeley or was it Oakland (?) made the BEST clam pizza and this was the opinion of 11 year old clam anything lover. No clams in shellnon top, but there was plenty on top and as I recall, no red sauce.

3 Likes

Good looking pie company.

2 Likes