Name that pizza - California

Used to be a pizza wasteland now lucky to have so many options. I’ll give it a go when I’m in DTLA.

Maybe one of the NoCal folks knows of this venerable establishment? I have a bunch of other spots in that neighborhood for quick and tasty fiestas like Molinari, Stella Bakery and how can you not get some Good Mong Kok.

2 Likes

Golden Boy?

1 Like

We have a winner!

1 Like

Now this could be a challenge…venerable contender not often mentioned in best slices in LA area…hint: you need to brave the NY Yankees vibe but that filth (along with the low cost lunch combo specials) is a nice refuge from the mean streets of BH.

1 Like

Mulberry Street

2 Likes

2 winners in a single day, holy pepperoni!

1 Like

Any thoughts on this Italian throwing star?

pizza

here’s the more familiar cousin from same place…

3 Likes

Is that DeSano? :slight_smile:

Bravo Chowseeker1999, Love it there, they are wide open and bring the heat!

Have you tried the cannoli? you won’t get hurt.

2 Likes

5 Likes

I know this is really subjective and there are a lot of new “foo-foo” pizza places out there, some good, some great, some mediocre, but this is my take on top 5 LA pizza rankings including all species of pies from small ones to slice spots.

1. Mulberry - I’m a huge fan of the light thin crust and perfect balance between gooey cheese, sauce and crust, It has structural integrity but can also be inhaled. It’s juicy not dry, but not soggy. It’s not particularly cheap either. A slice is now about $5, (even though there are good lunch specials)! But it’s my personal favorite. I like plain cheese but sometimes I can enjoy the one with the fried eggplant topping too. As with most spots, better when ordering a whole fresh pie and here about 1/2 the price per slice to do it that way.

2. Prime - for $23 and no delivery fee for a cheese this can be an “every day” family delivery pizza. I prefer the toppings here compared to Mulberry - the sausages, shrooms and pepperoni are solid and they even have smoked chicken from Bludsoes BBQ. They don’t skimp on toppings here either. Prime deploys basil - personally I don’t need it on a NY kinda pie and usually ask for it on the side. I find the crust a notch below Mulberry in that it is a bit thicker and denser but still not in a problematic way, still very thin and doesn’t droop. I tend to order extra cheese on every pizza here because it like it better that way here and i think they go a little too light otherwise. I also like their Sicilian pies (some photos above) but I think the tops there goes to the next on the list.

3. Prince Street Pizza - Sicilian pies, The lightness of the crust and the balance of the sweet(ish) sauce with the gooey cheese is craveworthy. I would get a whole pie for the max experience here, the “Prince Perfection.” I don’t find toppings are needed.

4. L’Antica Pizzeria Da Michele - There’s just something about this pie that makes it inhalable. The crust is light, the sauce is ample and the cheese is the right amount. If you’re ever up in Hollywood this is the spot, or the next contender.

5. DeSano - this is a D.O.P. pizza parlor which uses the specialized ingredients and methods. I think it lacks a bit behind Antica and Mulberry because I still find the crust a bit too floury and dense but that’s really nitpicking, this is a consistently great pizza place. Much better experience and product eating it in house, like most of the smaller pie places. You can still get a 16" DOP Margherita too.

Honorable mentions:

John and Vinny’s - I didn’t want to like it cuz i felt a little twitchy in the atmosphere there but i couldn’t stop eating it either…excellent stuff and great flavor combinations like a white pizza with jalapenos (White lightning).

Mozza - always satisfies. The crust is light and inhalable too. Consistent.

Note: each of these spots has multiple locations. I haven’t been to all the locations.

Who do you like best?

1 Like

Current favorites in no particular order

Gra
Dough Box
DeSano
Quarter Sheets

Lost but not forgotten category … La Morra (frozen pies only now)

1 Like

Thanks.

Gra looks really unique with the sourdough and unusual pizza flavors like kimchi, or the gorgonzola and grape. Never even heard of it. Love to try that out.

I’ve been wanting to try Dough Box. I enjoy that style of Chicago deep dish pizza. We satisfy cravings for that up at Zachary’s or ordering Malnati’s from tasteofchicago.com, which is actually a pretty good deal and comes out really nice.

Quarter Sheets is appealing to me I need to try more of the DTLA and near DTLA pizza options. It’s a blind spot for me and more research is needed. I can really get down with a good Sicilian style pie.

I miss La Morra too. I love that they made their own pepperoncini and serve garlic oil for crust dipping (not enough to redeem Papa John). They also nailed the crust, not too floury and dense which gives the balance i like with sauce cheese and toppings. Maybe they will have a triumphant return.

morra

Another in lost but not forgotten category for me is Grimaldi’s. I know they have other locations and hope they find another home in LA. There is something special about that pie for me. All things being equal I love a full size NY style pizza.

I’m also glad you like DeSanos. Seems there’s a new trendy place opening up every week now with strong PR in the LA Times, Eater LA, etc, but this warhorse keeps firing away on all cylinders in a pizza parlor build to deliver volume and quality to masses without hassle or pretentiousness. It’s pizza!

Cheers!

1 Like

1 Like

2 Likes

I don’t know but that looks good!

1 Like

That’s a plain cheese from prime pizza!

1 Like

It’s funny, I get down to LA about once a year and I think the only pizza I’ve had has been at Pizzeria Mozza and Gjelina. There are always other foods I want to focus on, although I am getting the impression the LA pizza scene has been expanding quite a bit lately.

2 Likes

There are a lot of good options. I’d say it stepped up about 5 years ago. I like mozza and gjelina good stuff. I prefer larger kinda pies and slices mostly tho.

Here’s extra cheese from prime recently. I like primes prices for whole pies, free and fast delivery and nice customer service. Large cheese is still 22 bucks.

Up where you’re at I can’t resist golden boy and Zachary’s. Im going to expand my repertoire when I head up soon tho.

2 Likes

Ooh that looks right on!

1 Like