Naga peppers (a variety of)

I don’t wear gloves with jalapeno or serrano, but anything hotter I do. I find otherwise it gets under my nails and any time I grip something in my fingers for the next couple of days, I get a burning sensation with the flesh compressed at the nailbed.

I also use monthly-wear contacts and one time took them out for a quick scrub about 2 days after cutting a bunch of habaneros (without gloves). My hand prep for touching my contact lenses is the same as a surgical scrub, but somehow some of the stuff remained under one of my nails and transferred to the lens. I put it back in with results you can imagine - started screaming, pulled the contact asap, and couldn’t put one in for a couple of days.

Then there was the time I was doing a Tim The Toolman Taylor impression. I was blending a bunch of SB, habanero, and serrano to make a sauce and decided stupidly to poke a handle down the blender lid hole to knock some stuff off the side and hit the blades, it bucked, and I got a bunch in my face and eyes. I didn’t end up in the E.R., but felt like maybe I should have gone…

2 Likes

My post is on the header! Wow, I didn’t know you could do that. Then here’s more photos. The peppers are ripening now. It won’t be there for many more days.

7 Likes

Garden thief: “Ah, a nice small red bell pepper! I will just snip one off, slice it up and put it on my salad. My neighbor will never know!”
Kharma: “Evil chuckle.”

Seriously, though, those are some nice photos.
And i have to admit it, at the age of 12 and 13 i was an unrepentant garden thief. Nothing tastes better than a freshly pulled up carrot, with most of the dirt rubbed off but not quite all. And we knew the locations of all the crab apple trees too.

1 Like

I used to dig peanut plants wherever I saw them. Didn’t know it was thievery and if I saw peanuts growing in any garden anywhere I would pull them up and eat them.
These peppers however are well known by all neighbours. But if there’s no one at home, a passerby would pick them as their own, and we’ll have the plants only. :rofl:

1 Like

I used to be in another food group that had a lot of members from India, and of course most recipes used a lot of chillies. In that group was a doctor who stated that he treated a lot of people who had ulcers through eating blistering-hot food.

I suffered digestive misery until I realized that it was caused by hot food.

1 Like

It’s true. People of the Indian subcontinent eat a lot of hot spicy food. Some are used to it (in Sri Lanka especially the hard working people in the upcountry). Also those who chew betel can tolerate it, although their stomachs will not.

Doesn’t betel cause problems of its own?

1 Like

I love using Scotch Bonnet but the aroma is key. Sometimes the whole pepper with a slice or two into it, floated in the dish, that you remove when the heat is right. I have grown so many seeds labeled Scotch Bonnet that just aren’t right.

3 Likes

It causes oral cancer. Doctors’ advice against it but it’s a tradition the rural villagers don’t want to part from. Betel is grown as an export crop too.

1 Like

True. Each variety has a slight difference in taste. Even the same variety differs sometimes I think.

1 Like

As a point of minor interest I stumbled upon this in my files (it’s from around 2010, I believe):

4 Likes

Naga Chillie as the star of the show. Must have been a great experience for them

1 Like