MYSTERY RESTAURANT - April 2021

Hi @sck,

Iki Ramen?

This is my guess, too. :slight_smile:

Also not recent as I haven’t been down around L.A. for a few years - should they be recent? Anyway here’s probably another easy one for the Angelenos:

2 Likes

Iki Ramen indeed!

2 Likes

Hi @attran99,

Very difficult one! You know I love Tacos. :grin: But that picture… it’s not “fancy” enough to be Chef Wes Avila / Guerrilla OG / Angry Egret. It’s not Holbox either.

Amor Y Tacos?

Hi @Mr_Happy,

Can’t wait for you to visit again when it’s safe. :slight_smile:

That picture… Asanebo? Shunji?

1 Like

Yup.

Shunji … the Agedashi Tomato Tofu.

1 Like

Correct! @Chowseeker1999 @ipsedixit Shunji’s unique and delicious agedashi tofu/tomato hybrid.

2 Likes

Your instincts were right! That’s the fish taco special from Angry Egret Dinette.
I could believe how airy and crispy the batter was…and it was not greasy at all. And it held up the 35 minute drive home…I wanted to make sure I shared with the spouse.
I also had the kanpachi ceviche this weekend…knock-your-socks-off good! Lord of different textures and flavors making a simple dish complex…and the kanpachi was buttery soft.

2 Likes

I am glad this is getting off to a good start.

How about some ground rules. Or at least one ground rule.

Let’s keep the “mystery dish” and restaurant from the prior month. That is, if the thread is for Mystery Restaurant - April 2021, let’s try to keep the restaurant or dish from the prior month, March.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Mr_Happy,

Yes! I love the agedashi tomato Shunji does! :slight_smile: Thanks for the reminder. Since the pandemic, I don’t think anyone’s gotten to do a real indoor Omakase with Shunji in over a year.

1 Like

Hi @attran99,

Ah! It is Angry Egret? I had the fish tacos as well. Yes, we loved them! :blush:

Mine ended up being more heavily salsa’d, so your pic threw me for a loop. :sweat_smile:

I’ll have to try their new Kanpachi ceviche as well. Thanks.

Hi @ipsedixit,

That sounds good. Although, would we allow the “current month” as well? So if it’s for April 2021, any dish we’ve tried in April and March? I don’t mind either way, just thinking about potential confusion if folks only read the Title “Mystery Dish - April 2021” and think “April dishes”. :wink:

Yes, of course.

I just don’t want this to turn into something that predates the actual thread from years ago, which would make trying to guess the restaurant almost impossible.

Also, keeping it current is a good way to introduce new dishes/restaurants so that people can go out and try them. Old dishes wouldn’t do that as well, methinks.

1 Like

This is a “regular” on the menu. Tastes better than it looks here (and normally looks quite attractive).

3 Likes

Jon and Vinny’s?

3 Likes

Right genre (mostly), but not that restaurant.

Colapasta?

Yes! Casunziei. :slight_smile:

1 Like