My failing no knead bread- why??

I get my King Arthur flour by mail from an internet discounter. The postage to Switzerland costs as much as the flour does.

The pizza master recipe:

800g water
1080g AP flour
10g yeast
25g salt

So the pizza master is almost 80% hydration, and the bread is around 75% hydration (from what I can find online, anyway). At 80% hydration I would definitely want extra gluten in the pizza dough, just for easier handling/stretching.

How did you arrive at the 80% number? I usually divide water/flour, e.g., 800g/1080g = approx 75%

What am I doing wrong?

For pizza I use 66% hydration. But I make a sourdough pizza, which means that the rising time is longer, and the sourdough tends to dissolve the flour. I use half Caputo blue and half Manitoba, otherwise known as Italian hard wheat flour. If it helps ā€¦

It always helps. Sometimes it will make sense months or even years late, but it always helps eventually. Every time I re-read my cookbooks, Iā€™m surprised how the knowledge I learn at sites like HO increase my understanding.

You are doing it right! I misread your 1080 as 1000. Sorry about that!

I use an unbleached bread flour from Lentz Mills. Thatā€™s a local company and I know the owners. Very nice people & very dedicated to their products. RD Carries it but only in 50# bags.

As far as storage, Lowes sells a 5 gallon food rated bucket for less than $5 but the lid is extra. You can find it on the website. Much cheaper than Cambro or Rubbermaid.

1 Like

@sck: my reply here is way slow. But I stumbled across it in internet downtime. I wonder if you found a solution? Bread is an art, and thereā€™s always more that I and others can learn.

I got a feeling that I may fail again. This time this is the proportion I use:

3.25 cups unbleached all purpose flour (Central Milling)
3/8 teaspoon instant yeast (from my freezer, I think its SAF)
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 2/3 cups water.

I mixed the in flour, yeast and salt well in a bowl, then added the water:

I covered the bowl, left it on the stove above the pilot light for 24 hours:

Take the dough out to try to form it on a table. It just doesnā€™t form into a ball. Its pretty wet and doesnā€™t hold shape. Just spreads out horizontally.

I am letting it rise a second time now. But so far from what I can observe all the intermediate results are the same as before.

Did you ferment for the full 24 hours? I use a no-knead process for pizza dough, and after itā€™s been in the fridge (covered with plastic wrap) for a day it expands quite a bit. You did probably fold it too much, and the hot skillet cooked the dough before it got a chance to rise. I donā€™t fold it at all before stretching it out into pizza crust.

Yes- full 24 hours. No folding beforehand. The stove is not hot. I put it on the stove to keep it slightly warm. But thatā€™s the extent the dough has expanded. I am starting to suspect it may be the yeast.

Letā€™s share your final product photoā€¦ I wonder if you simply have a different expectation

I am fairly sure its my usual 1.5 inch high hard biscuit if I donā€™t figure out some ways to ā€˜rescueā€™ it now.

For some reason I didnā€™t see the photos before. That dough does look wet, but itā€™s difficult to measure using the volume units. Iā€™d reduce the water or add more flour next time. Hereā€™s a recipe using metric weight units.

Yes it is also very wet. One of the things I am doing right now is to let it spread out on the piece of cloth on the table to let the moisture evaporate a bit.

I remember mine being very wet and it turned out very good. At least according to my standardā€¦(stealing a photo from the old Chowhound)

I made the no knead bread 4-5 timesā€¦ I think you are fine. Are you sure it is not because you have a very high standard? :sweat_smile:Anyway, good luck.

Not really. My ā€˜breadā€™ has been consistently brick-hard. Like enamel-damaging hard. At this point, I am just looking for minimally acceptableā€¦

If you are using same yeast and have not yet had good results i would buy new yeast, cheap and easy enough to see if thatā€™s the issue

2 Likes

I would also get bread flour, such as from King Arthur. Maybe you should sift it. And I definitely recommend weighing your ingredients. And I would not let the dough rise near a pilot light of the stove.

1 Like