Misc. Photos (Korea)

I’m still groggy from jet lag. Here are a couple more photos from the DMZ tour.

In this photo I see a barbed wire through the M with a flower at 1 end. Does that symbolise division and hope/peace?

Many people use the coin-op binoculars to look at NK. I did, too, twice. Lasts only 2 minutes per coin. The “village” is absolutely empty. It’s known as propaganda village. The buildings are empty shells. NK wants you to think life is normal there.

High barbed wire fences are everywhere in this area. Sign of old train station.

Bridge towards NK seen from near the station sign in previous photo. It has been restored and blocked off.

A replica of Joint Security Area entrance. Photo taken at 3rd infiltration tunnel. I was really looking forward to going to JSA but it didn’t happen. If I go to Korea again I will give it another try. One can visit DMZ every day but JSA is very limited and more intense.

DMZ and JSA tours are number one attractions. They (the tours) are highly structured and always full. So many tour buses.

At Dorasan train station again. Official entrance to the tracks for NK departures. Still waiting to be opened, though.

I have a feeling that… for whatever reason, you like zombies…

And now something different.

Are plastic surgeries and aesthetic enhancements/treatments a normal thing in California/the US or anywhere? They are quite normal and accepted in Korea. I saw them all the time, mostly in the train, metro station, mall, magazines. Where there are a lot of people passing by, really.

My metro stop in Busan. Advert for facial contouring surgeries. These are the most popular surgeries. Biggest groups are teenagers and “millennials”.

Same advert on train platform. A new face could open doors to possibilities.

Artificial perfection is within reach. (At metro station)

In the mall.

Seems no Korean woman leaves the house without make-up but some men as well. Seoul is world capital of men cosmetics sales, accounting for a little over 20%. I see 1 or 2 young men with “full make-up” just about every day. I think full make-up on men is foundation, neatly trimmed and painted brows, and lipstick. I don’t see eyeliner or shadow. Note that I know absolutely nothing about make-up.

Something else again. Saw this on a toilet door at the fish market in Busan. It’s probably old. It was occupied by a Korean. When she exited the stall I saw a western toilet in it. The other toilets are squatting kind.

In the toilet at a metro station. Poster with warnings about perverts and devices they might use.

There are metro carriages only for women at peak hours. They have them in Japan also. It really is horrible being pressed like sardines. I didn’t experience it in Korea but I did in Japan.

I like zombie movies. Train to Busan is a good one but many zombie movies are so bad.

I haven’t watched Train to Busan. I thought you were trying to make fun of the movie with so many references. How do you like Seoul comparing to Busan.

Ha ha ha. I looked at the poster for a long time and couldn’t guess. I thought it is about someone using a taser.

Busan is by far a more enjoyable city. I already did my research that’s why I decided to stay in Seoul only half as long. Both are big metropolises, both are like extroverts on steroid but Seoul is just too much, of everything. Especially the sheer amounts of people and constant noises. I never once had a moment alone in silence, not even in my private room.