May/June 2020 Openings and Closings [Boston and New England]

Since the days they mean nothing, it seems like we don’t have a new openings/closings thread for May yet. (It is May, right?). So here’s one just in case there’s anything to report on either front. Maybe we’ll get lucky and things will start to perk up some this month. I can dream.

6 Likes

There was the semi-good news of the Gene’s semi-reopening that @greygarious posted elsewhere:

4 Likes

The permanent closures will now start to appear - The Table at Season to Taste is now permanently closed

2 Likes

Although the Table component of that hybrid is closing, it appears the “Season To Taste” wing is still operating for pickup and delivery under the name “Season to Go”. See https://www.seasontotastecatering.com/ .

3 Likes

"While the Table at Season to Taste is bidding Cambridge farewell, Harris’ catering company, Season to Taste, is continuing on, currently in the form of individual meal delivery and takeout rather than event catering. The newly created takeout/delivery service is operating under the name Season to Go and offers dinner Tuesday through Saturday for pickup in Cambridge or delivery via Grubhub and DoorDash. Season to Taste’s catering activities are suspended for the time being.

“In a matter of hours both my award winning catering business and restaurant were decimated. As we work to restructure and rethink what catering will look like in the year to come, we quickly gave launch to Season to Go, our new takeout and delivery brand. Sadly and after much consideration beyond the loss of Season to Taste Catering we had to shut the doors of The Table at Season to Taste as well. With no business coming into either venue this is the sad and harsh reality I and the teams I employ all had to face. As we plan for the next stages we will be restructuring our catering business and growing our new concepts that are more in line with what the dining public is seeking in terms of pricing.”

4 Likes

Very bummed about both The Table At Season To Taste and Morano gelato closing. Very sad.

1 Like

Wait wait wait. WHAT? Mirano is closing? That really sucks. Ugh. Huge loss.

I’m devastated. Just read their website - very sad perspective on the reality of small businesses. Just devastated. It was simply the best gelato around.

1 Like

Argh. Good gelato is hard to find around here, to my taste, and now perhaps unfindable.

We never even made it to Marano to try, because we’re not close by.

1 Like

In better news Cafe Sushi will be reopening for limited take out next week.

4 Likes

Toscanini’s has reopened for takeout. It’s good to see some of my standbys coming back online.

4 Likes

Dumpling Daughter in Brookline has opened.

4 Likes

Boston.com is reporting that Dante in the Royal Sonesta hotel has closed, but not clear whether the pandemic was the driving factor. It was a pretty good restaurant, with a fabulous view and outdoor patio (one of the few local outdoor seating areas I liked). I had way too many business dinners here than I can remember, when this was our designated preferred business hotel, but at least none of them were bad. I will also miss their grilled cheese Tuesdays!

5 Likes

Permanent closures in the Boston area: Cuchi-Cuchi, Stella, The Automatic. I’ve only eaten at Cuchi-Cuchi early in its incarnation; always had lovely service and good food there.

4 Likes

Same with us: Cuchi Cuchi was fun though haven’t been since its early days.

It saddens me to see losses such as these.

5 Likes

Artu, Beacon Hill is closing May 30 per the Globe. The one in the North End remains open.

The owner of Monica’s Trattoria in the North End is being a jerk.

5 Likes

I certainly feel for all of the restaurants but does the owner of Monica’s not realize his comments are a huge turnoff to customers? And doesn’t instill trust for safety measures being a priority? Hard pass.

7 Likes

Ugh. I feel for the businesses, but just wow. He wants things open to 100%. What can you even say…

4 Likes

Well, I don’t think there’ll be any Monica’s Mercato sandwiches or pizza in my near future, that’s for sure. Too bad. It’s very good stuff.

3 Likes

I don’t agree what he’s saying at all, and won’t be visiting those places while I am concerned about this virus. However I will be back when things change. The guy has multiple businesses and I do feel for him. For now I’ll stick to places I trust 100% though.

Boston and other cities could close some streets or squares and enable restaurants operate al fresco. I don’t think Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville have generally been creative about things that could be done to help businesses and residents during this pandemic. The frustration will only grow from here.

6 Likes