May–August 2022 Baking Book: BAKING WITH DORIE

Lulu’s version did have a density to it, which may be why her friend only ate the icing.

Java Mini Mads page 200
These are lovely little gems with a hint of espresso. So good with coffee. Easy to make but you have to plan ahead. At least 5 hr refrigeration. I refrigerated mine overnight and put my muffin tin in the freezer for 20 minutes. I thought they were a failure but looking at the picture in the book they do have a round top. They can also be baked in a madeline pan i think they would be great to bring to a gathering with not much work involved.

6 Likes

GLENORCHY FLAPJACKS PP. 211-213

I omitted the ginger – mine was very old and I wasn’t pleased with the texture, even after soaking as Dorie recommends. Instead, I roughly doubled the total amount of dried fruit called for and used a mix of both golden raisins and sweetened cranberries.

These are sticky, chewy, toothsome, sweet (but not too sweet) with tart fruit – we like them and I’ll make them again. The only improvement I can think of is to add a pinch of salt to the butter mixture.

7 Likes

Ok. I found one more (optional) improvement: a small spoonful of peanut butter on top after baking (PB2 in my case). If, like me, you’re a fan of peanut butter and granola, this hits the mark as a portable version.

1 Like

Oh thats a good idea. Ive made those and my dh loved them. Have made them several times.

1 Like