Matawan Shanghai Bun

Congrats!!

@gracieggg Congratulations. My youngest girl leaves for college this year so I envy you these years. They are gone far too soon.

1 Like

My schedule is sort of up in the air right now, I may or may not be able to do the 3rd. I can definitely do the 10th.

10th works. We seals are known for our flexibility.

The 3rd worked for me but not the 10th. Sorry guys. Maybe the next HODown.

Looks like the 3rd works for more people and it now looks like I should be able to make it as well. Letā€™s stick with the 3rd unless there are any objections :slight_smile:

@gracieggg Congratulations!! Is there some kind of HOBaby initiation we should be performing?

@joonjoon @bgut1 here is my suggestion. Letā€™s do both. I will be happy to meet up with you two guys or as many more as want to come on the 3rd. @CurlzNJ has already posted the official Hodown is on the 10th and I will go to that one as well. Come to one or come to both, just be ready to feast!

1 Like

Haha! The youngest HO member! Hope everyone enjoys those delicious noodles!

Iā€™m game. Iā€™ll confirm once I know my schedule for sure.

I may just have to join you tooā€¦ :slight_smile:

Iā€™m interested in either the 3rd or the 10th, but not sure I can make both. Are we genuinely looking at two HOdowns, or have we just not settled on a single day?

@seal and @joonjoon - Iā€™m not sure I can now make the 3rd. My wife ā€œremindedā€ me (meaning I shouldā€™ve remembered) that we have a family event later that day. Is it possible to do a lunch at around Noon - 12:30 ish? No problem if that doesnā€™t work as Iā€™m sure we will touch base soon anyway. Enjoy and please take pictures.

Just as well. Iā€™d rather just go once anyway, so the 10th it is.

The upcoming HO Down (which Iā€™m trying to see if I can attend) had me jonesing for some Shanghai Bun so I made a late night trip over Memorial Day weekend with my son. We totally over ordered ā€“ spicy beef noodle soup, spicy seafood noodle soup, pan fried dumplings (we usually get the soup dumplings, but he wanted these) and shanghai rice cakes. Everything was awesome as usual. Need to try some of the other often-mentioned dishes in this thread.

Love the invite, donā€™'t love the date. Wedding at Hawk Haven Winery in Cape May the weekend of the 10th. The 3rd should work for me, if thatā€™s what is decided.
Heading down to Palm Beach FL tomorrow to take care of some last minute details on my Momā€™s move back to NJ, and Iā€™ll be back on Friday. Iā€™ll check in to see where the group is at on this latest.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Can anyone recommend some non spicy dishes to a first timer there? Looking to head there one day to partake it other than beef Sammy and the soup dumplings Iā€™m at a loss considering my tummy canā€™t do spicy

Holy carb orgy!! Sounds glorious.

1 Like

Some non-spicy favorites (some of these are noted as spicy on the menu but they arenā€™t really spicy at all): Pork in bean paste noodles, Shanghai or Seafood Rice cakes, Shanghai Wonton Soup, sha cha noodles, Pork and Eggplant, pork n green bean, Big bone hot pot, fish in spicy bean sauce, peking pork, meat loaf, cumin lamb.

2 Likes

Just had my first poor service experience here. I went to the counter and asked for Mongolian Lamb and Fried Dumplings. The young woman (new, at least to me) handed me a menu and directed us to a table. I circled the dumplings and wrote ā€œMongolian Lambā€, set the menu down and waited. And waited. And waited. Finally I called her over and handed her the marked-up menu. She pointed to the dumplings and asked, ā€œUno?ā€ Apparently her second language was Spanish! I nodded yes and pointed to the lamb notation. She looked totally at sea, so I got up, walked over to the board, and pointed to the Chinese characters. That seemed to work, but itā€™s the most language difficulty I have had there yet.

Cordero de Mongolia!

2 Likes