[Manchester, city centre] Restaurant Mcr

We were last here in February, only a few weeks after the restaurant opened in this guise. We didn’t really spot any teething troubles then but, if there were any, they had certainly been ironed out now. Service flowed effortlessly through the evening. And the food was top notch – sign of a good restaurant is surely that the food comes out of the kitchen at the same quality when the chef isn’t there (as tonight), as when he is. Dinner is still by way of tasting menu – OK, not our preferred way of eating these days but sometimes it’s exciting to do it as you’re going to be eating dishes you wouldn’t normally order. There’s two menus – one vegetarian, the other for omnivores. And both are available as nine courses, or a cut down six courser. The vegetarian menu looked the most interesting. And that’s the nine course, of course.

You kick off with three very small dishes – call them snacks, canapes or amuse bouche as you will. The first is a potato “crisp” topped with a fennel mousse, potato cubes and lightly pickled onion. It’s a lovely start. Then they bring you exactly the same ingredients but done in a different way. The fennel is now a much thinner cream, so you eating it as a soup. And the soup has diced potato and onion. The two way thing is really clever, we thought. There’s then a cauliflower cheese croquette and a truffle mayo to dunk it in.

There’s a “several ways with carrot” next. A roasted one, served warm, whilst everything else is at room temperature. And everything else are baby carrots, roasted so they are caramelised and a bit chewy (in a good way), and a carrot puree. There’s pepperiness from nasturtium leaves and a nasturtium sorbet.

Bread comes next, served as a course in itself – and it deserves to be treated like that. This is a small, but entirely delicious, sourdough loaf, with roasted onion butter. We’re still nibbling on that when what was probably our favourite dish of the evening arrived. There’s cepes, just cooked through , paired with thin, crisp, slices of Jerusalem artichoke and a few shavings of truffle. The plate looks great and it tastes great. Next up it’s back to the finger food with a small slice of brioche, crisped so it doesn’t fall apart as you pick it up and topped with a red cabbage puree and pickled blackcurrants. This is an excellent bit of flavour combination – the rich bread, earthiness from the cabbage and the sweet/sharp from the fruit.

There’s then a couple of courses which are very much in the modern style of using sweet and savoury ingredients to link towards the “proper” dessert. In truth these two divided us. I thought they were merely OK but my companion in life was much more enthusiastic about them. For the first, apple was sliced and diced and presented with spoonfuls of tapioca and dressed with a jasmine “tea”. You can, perhaps, see why this divided us. We had a bit more agreement on the second. Thin strips of compressed beetroot were shaped into a rose. A round “cake” of the beetroot had been infused with something – I think rosewater. And those pickled onions are back – this time given a sweet, fruity blueberry pickle.

If the earlier mushroom dish wasn’t our favourite, then the dessert certainly was. And there’s nothing of the tasting menu sizing here. This is a full-on “proper” dessert. There’s a caramel biscuit base, topped with a chocolate and orange ganache. There’s a quenelle of a miso flavoured ice cream. It could all have been a bit cloyingly sweet but the pastry chef had this absolutely nailed. And I told him so as we walked through the open kitchen area on the way out.

The final offering, served with coffee, were petit fours, including the signature take on the classic Manchester Tart – a two bite cupcake, filled with raspberry jam and topped with coconut.

This had been a really creative and well executed meal. We enjoyed it a lot.

4 Likes

Harters…what a lovely review! How much did the meal cost?

£85 each. My partner took the wine flight which I think was another £60. Final bill, including a 10% tip, came to £270 or thereabouts.

Cool, I will be in Manchester in February & it sounds like a great place to take my aunt to. I introduced her to Baity last time.

Same division here. Husband doesn’t care about tapioca at all. I like it fine. I find jasmine chanlleging though, either you don’t feel it, or too overwhelming, not very easy to dose.

Leaving aside Mana - which has just got a Michelin star and to which I havent yet been - there’s really only two places for a high end tasting menu. Restaurant Mcr or Adam Reid at the French ([Manchester, city centre] Adam Reid at The French - #13 by Harters)

Food is very good at both and this may come down to which location the aunt might prefer. Restaurant Mcr is very modern and in the buzzy Spinningfields area. Adam Reid is at the iconic “French” at the Midland Hotel (where Mr Rolls and Mr Royce first met) and is a sort of modernised Art Nouveau style. One of the things I like about the French is that dishes are brought to you by chefs, not servers, so you’re often getting the explanation of what it is from the person who just cooked it. But you’ll be fine at either.

How did you find it?

We went just a couple of days after it opened and thought it OK but not sufficiently OK to go back. I suspect we may not be the only ones - driven past it a couple of times recently and there’s been, literally, no customers.

I went in November of last year. I thought it was interesting and ok. My cousin, who lives in Didsbury, finds it very uneven. She says that they cater to big groups very well but don’t seem that good for a regular dinner.

Thanks. The only places we go to now in the village are Hispi and No. 4. And Indique & the Lime Tree in West Didsbury

too late, I’m afraid.

News just in - the restaurant has closed, just 12 months after opening. The economics of such an expensive site overcame them. A real shame.

1 Like

Latest update. Byrne is planning yet another new venture in a “characterful” building in the city centre and hopes to be open in the summer.

1 Like

Is it just me or is this bloke a bit of a chancer ? Corporate sponsor this, branding that, open this, close this open that, close that. One entity collapsing into nothing only to reemerge later with (??) suppliers etc potentially un(der)paid ?
To quote the famous Adelphi personage 'Just f****g cook, will yer !!"

I hesitate to mention he’s a scouser.

But he does have something of a history of not sticking to stuff. The man can f*****g cook (I remember the Adelphi programme) so whether it is a poor choice of business associates or something else, I dunno.

Dunno about unpaid suppliers and I’m certainly not making allegations.

1 Like

True. If he was from round your way there would be no doubting he is a chancer!:slight_smile:

Certainly, nor am I !
It just all seems, er, unfortunate.

Maybe I will try his new gaff, though the talk of a focus on the bar & small plates sounds a bit ‘scenish’ to me… (so will probably go down a storm in the segregated tower blocks of the new Mancunium…) and,dare I say, a bit ,er, noisy…?

(I’ll get me coat ! )

He mentions that there will be two dining spaces - one doing small plates. That’s fine, so long as they are kept well away from me. Or alternatively, if I can move to the other space after having my small plate - or starter as we usually call them.

Nooooo. I was looking forward to this.

Leaving aside our new Michelin starred place, Mana (which I havent yet been to), a visit to “Adam Reid at the French” may suit you and your aunt. Nowhere near as stuffy as in the Simon Rogan years and damn good food - certainly my first choice for an upmarket dinner.

1 Like

So, I’m planning to go to Hispi, Dishoom, Nandos (I’ve never been & it seems like an institution) and now Adam Reid. I know that you like Janna, so might try that as well.

No, we weren’t that keen on it. Better to go to Yara, just round the corner, if you’re after Lebanese.

Hispi is good. In Didsbury village , we also like No. 4. In West Didsbury, there’s the Lime Tree and Indique.

I look forward to reading any feedback you have for Dishoom. Not been there yet. I’m put off by the fact they don’t take reservations - at my time of life I don’t want to be standing around for ages waiting for a table.

For those of us who have tracked Byrne’s inability to stick at anything, it comes as no surprise whatsoever to read that he’s reneged on his committment to the pub project mentioned upthread. Asked how his new business partners felt about it, the following article quotes him as saying “They weren’t too happy, but it is what it is. I’ve got to worry about me "

1 Like