Making bagels at home

Wow, you even included the "secret " of the boiling step! Thanks so much for the recipe and tips! I have never made bagels at home, but this fascinating HO thread may inspire me to try it.

For anyone’s information, I am including a link to an NPR article re: “The Science of Great NYC Bagels (Its not the water)” from 5/21/15. It mentions a mix of water and malt barley. The NPR article: http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/05/21/405190434/chew-on-this-the-science-of-great-nyc-bagels-its-not-the-water
Sidebar to winecountrygirl: when I first moved to a small town in Florida, lo, these many years ago, from the Yonkers, NY area at that, there was actually a bank that advertised on the radio that they had " 2 entrances to serve you!" The bank is still there, the entrances are still there, but they have since opened up other branches that are more logical topics for their more recent advertising. If the bagel place can have entrances for “bagels” and “bialys,” maybe the bank missed an opportunity to have entrances back in the day for “deposits” and “withdrawals.”

Of course - that is what makes it a Lower East side NYC style bagel! :yum:
With regards to the malt barley being added to the water - the only reason that I didn’t include that was because we’ve tried both - and never saw that big of a difference while the cost becomes an issue (cost-benefit). Glad you were inspired - and I hope you DO try it - and post your results! Good luck!!

Thanks for the details

2 questions

1- shaping - are you a roll a log and wrap to make a bagel or a push thumb through and stretch to make bagel ?

2- the 1/2 hour in fridge after proofing. What is the purpose of that step. If it is warm enough to proof out in the room would you still put in fridge or go right to boiling?

Can’t wait to try!

Thanks for the details - You are welcome!

2 questions

1- shaping - are you a roll a log and wrap to make a bagel or a push thumb through and stretch to make bagel ?

Never ever ever stretch dough for any reason - for any bread. For bagels always roll and wrap.

2- the 1/2 hour in fridge after proofing. What is the purpose of that step. If it is warm enough to proof out in the room would you still put in fridge or go right to boiling?

The 1/2 hour in the refrigerator is required in order for the dough to harden so when you put it in the boiling water, it won’t lose its shape and come out a doughy mess.
By the way, an overnight refrigeration is done if you want to bake the next am (i.e., you didn’t perform the bulk fermentation or proofing steps - as I indicated in my instructions) this is so the dough will rise slowly overnight

Can’t wait to try!
I can’t wait for you to try and tell me how they came out!

In one of Lawrence Block’s Scudder series, his erstwhile teenage sidekick TJ observed that a good bagel “fights back” on your first bite.

2 Likes

Now that is what I call a NYC style bagel - and mind you, we were out of town at my brother’s house and made them with a regular Kitchen Aid mixer, regular oven, etc. Still came out mighty fine!

2 Likes

Looks like a nice crust!!! Good job !!

1 Like

That is a dam fine looking bagel!

Thank you NotJr - and it tastes even better than it looks… try it - you’ll like it!