Madrid September Trip Planning

Triciclo was fantastic, the vibe, food and service!
D Stage was a huge let down - nearly all the courses were misses, almost all were very unbalanced, and some plain inedible. Service was very aloof too.

2 Likes

Wow, what a let down at DStage (not DSpeak)! But glad you enjoyed Triciclo.

1 Like

Just snagged a reso at Sacha, but still need my hotel to contact them to inform them that the reservation is for 1 person, not 2 as there’s no option on their website. Hopefully it won’t be a big deal on a Monday at 21:00 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There won’t be a problem Pedro. You’ll be very welcomed as a solo diner. Glad you were able to snag that reservation.

3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

I’m here for the photos.

2 Likes

Do we have enough Madrid HOs for a HOdown? I’m in.

1 Like

I’m looking forward to it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pete, you should do a meetup while you’re there! With @RobinJoy , @Maribel and anyone else!

I’ve met up with HOs in the States and with visiting HOs who have come to Canada. (Pete is a little more elusive than I am)

I’m only there for 4 days, schedule is V tight and I’m V elusive. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Peter,
If you’re fond of croissants and want to eschew the Sardinero Hotel breakfast, there is a wonderful, jewel box of a pastry (and chocolate) shop just a 3-minute walk south on Fernando VI. It’s LA DUQUESITA, in business since 1914 and now in the hands of world famous master pastry chef Oriol Balaguer.
It has a tea salon where one can enjoy these treats in situ, like the croissants and chocolate Palmer’s. One of the best and most legendary pastelerías in the city–an absolute gem and highly photogenic.

Or if you’d prefer a Spanish omelet for breakfast, a tortilla española, on the same square as your hotel, across the street facing the Plaza de Santa Barbara, you have the new, remade GRAN CAFÉ SANTANDER, now owned by the CañadĂ­o group of Santander, famous for their “comfort food” dishes and especially their tortilla. When walking nearby we go there in the am (opens at 8) for a cafĂ© con leche and a pincho of that yummy tortilla.

2 Likes

Thanks so much, they both look wonderful. I won’t be eating in either hotel(the other is Hotel Cosmo in Valencia) if I can help it, not big on hotel food with the rare exception.
Would you recommend Café Santander over Casa Dani for tortilla Española?
Cheers and thanks again for the recommendations.

Both tortillas are great.
I just thought of the Gran CafĂ© Santander only because it’s across the street from your hotel. But if you’re in the Salamanca neighborhood of the Mercado de la Paz, Casa Dani’s is unbeatable, and one portion is the size of a third of an entire omelet–huge and delicious. A cafĂ© con leche and a pincho of tortilla plus bread at Casa Dani will only set you back 5 euros! A bargain.

In the vicinity of the Hotel Cosmo in Valencia, I would head straight to the Mercat Central and Ricard Camarena’s CENTRAL BAR for a mid-morning snack or lunch. The dishes are fabulous, and the market a treat for the senses. Central Bar will be packed with the locals enjoying the traditional “their esmorzar de forquilla”, a mid-morning snack served with knife and fork around 11 am. The. sandwiches are also outstanding. Central Bar opens at 9 am but is closed on Mondays.

2 Likes

I don’t mind a bit of a walk to get to Casa Dani, only 10-15 mins or so, and I’m an early riser anyway. The only question is, onions or no onions? :smiley:
Central Bar is on my Valencia list for sure, looks great.
Once again, thanks so much for the help and sorry I didn’t reply earlier.
Cheers!

1 Like

Hi Pedro,
For me at Casa Dani, it’s tortilla with onions!

2 Likes

Sold! :slight_smile:

One last question and I’ll leave you alone
 Your favorite place for huevos rotos?(if you have one)

Drool https://madridsecreto.co/los-mejores-huevos-rotos-de-madrid/

1 Like

I love broken eggs (huevos rotos, huevos estrellados).

The most “famous” place for this dish is Casa Lucio on the Cava Baja or its sibling across the street, Los Huevos de Lucio, but I haven’t had them there in years (I just no longer “graze” on the bar-lined Cava Baja).

Not a "Madrid version, but a Cantabrian one, we recently had a great dish of “huevos rotos con patatas y picadillo de Potes” at LA MARUCA on Calle Velázquez, within a short walking distance of Casa Dani (eggs and more eggs!)
LA MARUCA is in addition, a good place for a casual meal for a single diner, as there is plenty of bar seating for lunch.
It’s part of Paco QuirĂłs’ CañadĂ­o group (Gran CafĂ© Santander, mentioned upthread is another member). They all serve great classic comfort food that lures diners back again and again.

Here’s the menu-

The pretty tiled-linedTaberna Carmencita mentioned in Phoenikia’s link, doesn’t serve the classic huevos rotos (they’re not broken over fried potatoes) but instead fried eggs accompanied on each side by morcilla or chorizo or paletilla and French Fries.
Not the same

Fismuler, which would be within walking distance of your hotel, does their own version, but on a base of steak tartar, but I prefer the “real deal” if I’m going to commit to the calories!

2 Likes

Casa Lucio and La Maruca both look excellent, but La Muruca is much closer to the hotel so

Thanks again. :slight_smile: