What's for Lunch 2015 - 2016

Lunch today was lukewarm soup inside a bear-proof vehicle in the wild. Today I saw King of the Arctic. I looked at him… and he looked back at me! It was a tremendous moment to be locking eyes with this majestic beast! The only thing between us was the glass and steel of the vehicle’s frame!

This was my last lunch in Winnipeg, at the airport. Only these 2 choices I could go along with, albeit extremely reluctantly.

Brought the bear I got in Spitsbergen.

Burger again.

My plane to the north. An overwhelming majority of the passengers were natives. It was cool. Only a dozen or so non natives/tourists including us 2.

They even served snacks like salad, pasta, and burrito on both flights. I flew to Rankin Inlet first, which is a bit farther than Churchill. Then turned around and got off in Churchill. The plane went on to Winnipeg again. We were the only 2 who got off in Churchill.

Nunavut is one of the natives’ strongholds. They all look happy there. Cool number plate, too. Notice the native (written) dialect?

Goodby Rankin Inlet. Nice to see ya. Heading back to Churchill now.

1 Like

Today’s lunch was at à traditional brasserie. I had Andouille 5A and eating companion kidney of veal with fries.

2 Likes

Lunch on the train 2 days in a row (2 full days to get to Winnipeg from Churchill,almost 1700km!)

“Chef’s salad”

I tried one little bite. It was quite enough. My teeth melted. My sugar threshold is extremely low.

This train’s dining experience is a bit less “nice” than the other train (from Toronto to Vancouver).

Menu and table setting is simpler. (Am already starting to read a guide book for my trip next year)

This is the dining car for those in private sleeper and private compartment carriage.

This is the dining car for economy.

Coach carriage kitchen. I imagine it’s the same for sleeper carriage.

Economy carriage. Just seats. Not sure if the seats can recline.

Food options are limited on train. Half of menu is burgers and sandwiches.

Vegi sandwich has mayo and some tomato and lettuce.

Fruits are in syrup. Eew.

Scenery along the way:

A lot less and less snow as we travelled farther south. You can see only a little snow left in the trees in this photo.

Thank you, farmers!

And more farmland

2 Likes

Got a good loaf of bread yesterday. Today’s lunch made good use of the loaf with Cowgirl Creamery Triple Creme and Garrotxa cheese, and other sandwich components.

1 Like

My kind of lunch!

I’ve missed cheese soooo much. The last time I had cheese was on Oct. 6, the day I left Toronto for Winnipeg. Never saw cheese again til today. Not consuming cheese, good bread, beer/wine (and not exercising) has a negative effect on me mentally and physically.

Wait. No cheese in Canada? Or just no good cheese during travels?

I’m guessing not as many cows north of the Arctic circle.

Quebec produces a lot of good cheeses and they are quite economical. Bothwell cheese of Manitoba produces good cheddars but no soft ripened cheeses.

1 Like

After I left Toronto I was stuck on a train and a cold place in the north where everything has to be brought in by freight train of plane. And the selection is extremely limited, and costs twice the price.

A long lunch today.

all different kinds of oysters. Cost about $32.

Oyster bar at Jean Talon market

After 4 weeks of eating the amount of meat still shocks us. (The more obscene version of the same plate here.

Full fat

Medium fat

Side by side. I prefer the medium, and I like fat.

We got there just in time. Got to choose we to sit. Ten minutes later the place was full and when we left there was a short queue outside.

Whilst waiting to pay. The front door is behind me. I also got 2 of their “steak seasoning” to take home.

And directly after all that meat…

Afraid it’s “pearl before swine” when it comes to most pastries but I always give it a go before slagging it off. I have very low sugar threshold.

Shop sign

4 Likes

I never fancy train meal, maybe I should change my mind after all your photos.

Yum for the Kouign-Amann, I love the super heavy dessert. Was it good?

Bento office lunch today is choucroute Alsatian.

I have tried SO many times to like choucroute garni but I still can’t do sauerkraut.

Interesting. At least you know you have tried and it’s not your thing. Nothing wrong with that. It’s the same for me when it comes to Indian food. I can’t get into it. I even makes me physically sick. I’ve tried and tried and tried.

I’m totally a “Saurkrauthead”. Love all things with Sauerkraut. Even eat it as a snack.

Nice lunch, Naf. It’s the right time for Choucroute garni at home (crappy autumn weather). I look forward to eating Sauerkraut when I am home again.

The partner enjoyed the pastries. I just had a bite of each and that was quite enough.

Tried smoked meat sandwich across the street from Schwarzt’s today just to compare. Well, no wonder Schwarzt’s gets all the business. I ordered and went to wash my hands. The food came and it turned out the meat was lean. My fault for not mentioning medium or full fat and they assumed I wanted lean.

2 Likes

When I first came across choucroute, I disliked the acid cabbage. I also disliked the cornichon prickles, I think I didn’t get this sour taste in French food. Some years later, I accidentally tasted some good sauerkraut and loved it this time. Same with pickles. I think some taste need to learn, or some things we don’t like because the food are not prepared in a correct way.

I like Indian food, although my digestion system doesn’t, so I can’t eat a lot.
I was travelling in Thailand a few years back, I wasn’t hot about the Thai food, for me it’s a mismatch of different favours, quite messy in taste. I just didn’t get it. I kept wondering why people were so crazy about Thai cooking. For 2 weeks, we were eating Thai day and night, we got really fed up (also because spiciness). Until the last 2 meal, we went to really good restaurants in Bangkok with chefs caring about the right dose of spices, the cooking were sublime, we changed our mind from then on!

I think I would prefer the fatty version. The lean version seems a bit dry.

The trick with Schlactplatte is that the sauerkraut needs to be washed and cooked properly. Lots of people, even chefs, don’t do this correctly. It’s also a little more delicate than people think, you have to be careful not to over cook it.

But you might just not like Kraut.

1 Like

Last Vietnamese meal in Montreal. Saw Vietnamese at the next table eat this on my first visit and I wanted to try it today. This is a restaurant run by North Vietnamese so I thought they would get it right. Not sure if there was any turmeric used but I could barely see or taste it. And there wasn’t any dill, fennel and the fronds yes, but no dill. I had this meal in Ha Noi and it was a bit different. Maybe they tweak it to appeal more to local taste.

Last Pho noodle soup.

The fish and all the components. The plate has an awkward shape and is as wide as the little table. Little bowl has a brownish sauce is fermented shrimp sauce.

How it’s eaten.

2 Likes

Hit up the Mercado today. So we have steak tacos on blue corn tortillas with queso fresco, fresh Jerseyhatch, green onion, cilantro and green zebra heirloom tomatoes:

Drink is a green apple Snapple: ice tea, apple cider, citrus seltzer and a lime.

The tortillas were really fresh and delicious.

3 Likes