What's for Lunch 2015 - 2016

Another thing you need to try in Southern Germany is a slice of warm Leberkäse:

While name translates to liver cheese it is actually a finely ground meat loaf, usually served in a warm slice with a little potato salad and a slice of rye or a brezel.

You can find this at almost any butchers to go, and there will be a number of Schnell Imbiß or snack stands that carry it.

I don’t know why I have been craving Vietnamese since 2-3 days, must be @Presunto 's pics… Had a late lunch today in Saint Ouen. I had Cha gio re (seafood spring rolls) and followed by Hu tieu bo kho (beef stew with noodles), my eat companion had a beef salad and a beef pho. Very generous portion and tasty in an area lack of good restaurants.

It’s a bit far from the flea market of Saint Ouen (around 15 minutes walk), not far from the city hall.

Au Soleil Du Vietnam
49 Rue du Dr Bauer
93400 Saint-Ouen

1 Like

I want all of that.

Pizza and a beautiful salad at Jon & Vinny’s.

5 Likes

Naf, the beef salad looks great. I was going to order “Goi Ga” (“chicken” salad) but then the discription listed only offall. I like the kind with chicken meat.

More Vietnamese (in Ottawa). After this lunch I went straight back to my lodging and didn’t go out again. The cold-like symtoms got to me.

I like tendons sometimes

Cambodian style soup, also popular in south Vietnam.

Last photos from Ottawa.

Just like the postcard, almost.

A snack I brought with me from Montreal. Ate it all on the train to Toronto.

2 Likes

Gruyère, extra sharp Cabot cheddar, Parmesan & Jarlsberg Mac-n-Cheese sauteed with apple wood smoked uncured bacon and brussel sprouts and topped with a little Siracha:

And a leftover gorgonzola provolone basil burger with horseradish.

2 Likes

A couple of lahma bi ajeen.

3 Likes

Cleaning out the cheese drawer? :wink:

I like the idea of harissa in macaroni and cheese, I’m going to try that.

Well yes I do use the bits and bobs, but isn’t that what they are best for?

I always use at least 3-4 cheeses though, but usually with a strong Jarlsberg and Sharp White Cheddar base.

If I’m doing it German style I will also add a little nutmeg.

Went to Chinatown yesterday for dimsum. For a moment I thought I was in Hong Kong.

Dimsum at Rol San, a big, busy restaurant. Dimsum was “good”, to us who live in food hell. Much better than the frozen stuff I get at home. But this is not Hong Kong level that’s for sure. I found most things a bit salty (and I eat salty). The best best dimsum I had was actually not in Hong Kong but in Guangzhou and Zhaoqing.

I miss asmospheric Ling Heung now.

Squid, too garlicky, and I love garlic.

Forgot what was in these parcels

A lot better than from frozen we used to eat at home

Ribs, salty.

Should be better

2 Likes

Pub lunch again. I wanted to try duck and elk sausages, and 3 beers I haven’t seen at other beer places. The sausages were interesting, a nice change from the usual. The fries were a bit salty. Would be nice if they didn’t use any salt on my potatoes but it didn’t occur to me to request them saltless. I have concluded that people like the food salty here.

(something is wrong with imgur, photos are not showing. Direct links to photos: one, two)

We swapped half way through.

2 Likes

Today office bento lunch is last night 's leftovers. Veal liver with red onion and balsamic vinaigrette. Not bad at all, especially it is just slightly reheated, the meat is still pinkish. Ate with an arugula and cherries tomatoes salad. Not very photogenic as the greens were eatern before I realized i should take a picture.

1 Like

Love liver and onions.

Sashimi at JAbistro.

And before breakfast. I snack on Sichuan peppercorns all day.

1 Like

Today’s lunch is grilled pork ribs with a nuoc mam, chili and honey sauce.

1 Like

So are you in Toronto now?

Wow. That makes me want to go out for dim sum brunch again soon!

Hot pastrami, Jewish rye no seeds, half sours.

And I know, nothing sour for new years, but that’s why I got the half sours.

1 Like

Last lunches in Toronto.

Kimchi rice in hot stone bowl.

This place is not fancy at but it’s busy.

Milky broth with black garlicky oil.

Prawny fishy broth.

And of course gyoza. I watched people eat in this restaurant… nobody slurped, even the Japanese and Chinese. In Japan the slurping is loud and hilarious. I myself can’t slurp and not because I’m being dainty. When I do I get soup all over my face. Besides, the broth is bloody scalding.

Last photos from Toronto:
Made a photo of the CN tower whilst being in it.

After many beers and now walking back to the train station

Took the train from Toronto to Winnipeg (just arrived this morning). I love the train and often prefer it over other transport modes. This is a good experience overall. The bed is surprisingly comfortable and wider than others I’ve slept on in the past. We got a private compartment for 2. The service is good, the food is not too shabby at all. It’s a very long train and most passengers are tourists, many of whom are pensioners and the elderly on organised tours. Also, I find north Americans are curious about Europeans and their long holidays (often not on any organised tours like us).

There was a 2 hour delay. We didn’t leave Toronto til 12:30am.

Salmon cake (?). Underneath it’s pasty salmon and some slices of the fish and herbs on top.

Bison burger. I haven’t eaten so many burgers since my teenage years.

This day is a good day.

Farro salad topped with buratta and basil oil. Baguette with artichoke tapenade.

4 Likes