What's for Lunch 2015 - 2016

I stopped off at pick a bagel for a sesame bagel with strawberry jam and (non dairy) cream cheese which they slather on. I even managed to make both of my hands sticky and somehow get a blob of jam on lap. Yeeesh.

1 Like

This weekend’s cooking projects:

The corn fritters are rather nice. Must make them again.

Chanterelles are available again.

Also first gooseberries from the market.

5 Likes

My pleating is still rubbish but better than last time. Buns tasted good nevertheless. Roasted pork from a Cantonese restaurant.

Bovril girl through and through

The cheese again

I even bring Bovril on holiday, just in case the breakfast is worthless.

Crab meat from claws

The “pot”

Very scotchy-y and peppery this time. I like it.

That’s all for this weekend.

3 Likes

This weekend again.

I ate grilled fish like this for breakfast in Japan. It can be salmon or mackerel or xyz.

I didn’t have daikon…

Lamb mince in little baguettes

Isot Biber. Always goes well with all things Turkish.

Top view

4 Likes

uh, I had mustard & onion pretzel bits and 2 bottles of stella.

I feel like such a failure after the pics above.

(not really!! weekends aren’t for effort around here)

3 Likes

Spinach/cheese and chicken empanadas from our FM. I made a side salad with arugula, cabbage, carrots (shredded and a few out of the escabeche), fresh ginger, and avocado.

2 Likes

I am in Tallinn, Estonia at the moment.

Supermarket fish counter has salmon and trout roe in containers/pails sold by weight like it’s nothing! Mine seen here costs less than eur.10 for 166gr.

Let’s see how high I can pile salmon roe on this tiny piece of rye bread

Estonia has no real food of its own. It likes and takes dishes from its neighbours and former owners. Whole salted herring (it’s big!) and smoked hake (me thinks) cost under eur. 2 each. I’m gobsmacked. The Sauerkraut is good, crunchy and not really salty.

Typical Estonian cheese. Not for me, I just wanted to try.

O.M.F.G. So jelly of your fish roe bounty!!!

I love shopping at markets when i travel! Always an adventure to try new stuff and see what the locals really buy and eat. (I totally stare at the grocery baskets of grandmas doing their shopping! Haha! I just figure they’re buying more traditional common items)

What are those delicate little sprouts?? Glad you were so thrilled by the roe and fishies

Got a few things for lunch and dinner from market stalls. I’m like a child in a candy shop! The smoked fish and meats here are so good (not to mention cheap!). Had to seal everything good before storing in the fridge! The smokiness is too intense! The gherkins are made by the stall holders themselves (and they do guard their recipes with their lives, apparently. According to my acquaintances here).

The salmon belly strips have more fat than meat but well, it’s the point, isn’t it?!

The same salmon belly on the plate

The sprats are also nice!

Most veg and fruit stalls have their own gherkins. Like this:

Gratuious photos of beautiful Tallinn (unfortunately, it is also extremely touristy.)

Almost like in the printed photo…

Medieval towers. There are more around town but these are most photographed ones.

4 Likes

Went to the market yesterday to get some stuff to take home (today). Fruits and vegs in eastern Europe (and in Helsinki where I spent the day) still have the colours and taste. It’s no longer the case here and it’s so near. Everything is full of water and crap, not to mention grown mostly in hothouses!

Intense yellow and sour little berries are sea buckthorn. We ate fresh fruits like this from the market every day in the park, mostly.

Found this hard-to-find bakery to buy black rye bread for lunch yesterday. 2 to take home in my hand baggage. A loaf weighs about 850gr. Just eat with butter or Schmalz. This bread is served with every savoury meal in Estonia.

Bakery also has beer made for them. All 3 are good.

Loaded with seeds: lin, poppy, coriander, sunflower.

Moist but not sticky. Very chewy. I love it.

5 Likes

Lunch was the leftover uncooked scallops from last night with string beans.

2 Likes

Eating my share of mushrooms this weekend. eur.4 for 100gr instead of eur4,50 for a whole kilo.

Inside thin, folded fried eggs.

Overhead view

This thing also has chanterelles

Brought back from Tallinn, 2.5kg piece. It got me held up at Estonian customs. After 2 “inconclusive” swab tests they opened my stuff anyway. I said “Speck” and they just let me go.

Ploughwoman’s lunch, except I’m no ploughwoman, just eat like one.

Mince has köfte spice mix and Estonian smoked pork belly.

4 Likes

Chanterelle envy to the max. I’m not even kidding.

Dayum.

2 Likes

Agree!

Cod on today’s menu. For salad, tried some different, greens with raspberries, capers, nuoc mem, sesame oil. Not so weird for the taste, quite pleasant actually. Swallowed with Mort Subite Witte Lambic, a Witbier beer.

2 Likes

Lentil and buratta salad from the Polpo cook book. I love this salad and this book! Lentils are cooked then set aside. Onion, carrots, celery, and thyme get a quick sauté. Lentils are added to veggies, mixed with a few spoonfuls of basil vinaigrette. The warm lentil are topped with the buratta and more vinaigrette. I served it over some arugula and with baguette to some up all the bits.

7 Likes

That looks gorgeous, aussie!

Yummy salad, Aussie. I love lentils.

Sunless weekend!

Latvian smoked sprats. They are very small, tasty nevertheless.

There was also some foie gras au torchon.

The seaweed comes with the oysters I eat at weekends. I just boil it and freeze for other uses. This is one of the uses, with noodles. Warm it in a pan with some tamari, add sesame oil when done.

Dried tuna roe brought back from Spain.

The whole plate.

I challenge the Turks to beat me in fig eating contests!

Got 2 dozens figs this weekend.

Quartered and dipped in Lindt’s 99% pure chocolate.

3 Likes

That’s not choripan. Now thaaaaat’s choripan.
(* Line from the film Crocodile Dundee: "That’s not a knoife. [draws a large Bowie knife] (Now) that’s a knoife.)

Bread is brown, sausages are also brown.

Choripan I had in Argentina. Just some old bloke in an abandoned garden next to the road who sold choripan to passersby.

Very chewy corn bread sourdough.

I made a mess (also on my face and hands). Ricotta and Lindt’s 99%.

Salmon belly

Seaweed comes with the oysters

4 Likes

@Presunto looks fantastic. You meals are always amazing

Been playin with figs as well. Local grocer had BOGO on them recently and I ended up with 4 containers of black mission figs. Used one container to made fig preserves. Dried them a little in the fridge so no mold growth and they seem to last a lot longer. My wife has a reaction to them so they are all mine. I need more uses for figs