Looking for trip advice- San Fernando/Sylmar

Great rec grilled meats and seafood. My favorite combo :drooling_face:

Btw @Parsnipity if anyone in the family is into cars, I highly recommend the Nethercutt Museum in Sylmar

2 Likes

Google “Chain restaurants Sylmar CA”. You will find that Sylmar is way richer in what you derisively call “white people food” than my area of Los Angeles.

In fact, chain restaurants are what Sylmar is known for.

You’re totally spot on. I’ve always hoped and wished the likes of Silverton, Funke, Chang, Loebs, Jon & Vinny, you know all the cool LA restaurateurs would consider expanding in this area. Instead we just get stuck with more fast food & chains. :weary:

Nonetheless still some great options in the area :point_up_2:t5: if one looks beyond the proverbial box

I agree @Sgee and it’s a frontier of new discoveries even for folks that live in other parts of LA like me. This thread has whet my appetite for the next time I’m up that way. Hell dinner and a drink for the price of parking elsewhere too. To me this is kind of the essence of “chowhounding” (sorry im not calling anyone here an onion), sourcing out these gems or learning about them from others, sharing the info, and in turn learning about our community and having fun doing something different and and something that might be adventurous for me/pedestrian for someone else. For example, it’s counter-intuitive maybe but the best mariscos/coctels and such I’ve had have in socal anyways are not by at the coast itself like malibu or santa barbara but usually slightly inland. Anyone can read eater and go to a local chain like Jon and Vinny’s, or a fancier place like connie and teds (disclosure, i enjoy both places). I like that @Parsnipity is hitting up Sylmar and San Fernando to have fun with friends and family not going to Brentwood and Disneyland and I am confident a good time will be had and eating well will be part of it.

4 Likes

Carillos is very good for their house-made tortillas. I especially like their chile relleno.

1242 Pico Street, San Fernando.

2 Likes

786 Pizza. Not so much for the pizzas per se, although they are very good, but merely to be confronted with nearly a constellation worth of toppings and styles (Halal, Moroccan, Italian, etc.).

Furn Saj. Good Mana’ish, and even better Shwarma.

1 Like

Love places like this in Ktown, haven’t been to this one but it seems pretty well regarded. Maybe something you can’t get in new england…lobster’s smaller cousin!

1 Like