Looking for suggestions for the Hudson Valley

Ahhhh, We had a perfect meal tonight at Ship to Shore in Kingston. Seafood Mac and Cheese, amazing bread from a local bakery ( https://www.deisings.com/) and a wonderful shrimp appetizer. We sat outside on a quiet street across from the harbor.

1 Like

yay! Iā€™m glad you liked this place, I went there all the time when I lived in Woodstock. Itā€™s so coolā€“the place was originally owned by a German couple, who ran it for decades. When they were going to retire, the folks who own it now didnā€™t want to see it close so they took it over and asked the German couple to stay on for six months and teach them the recipes. Itā€™s really a treasure of a place.

Well, today is our last day in the Hudson Valley and we have three places to share. For the best cookie, and we tried more than 20 bakeries in our 3 weeks here, we loved Under the Nose. Its literally under the Vromans Nose hiking trail, where after a 40 minute hike up you are rewarded with a fabulous view. We had a sā€™mores and a chocolate chip and they were fabulous, the fudge was pretty good also.

Best restaurants, 3 - Garvans where we sat out in the yard and ate duck and short rib. Ship to Shore in Kingston where after dinner we walked the dock - we had a fabulous seafood mac and cheese and the best bread which they say they get from Deisings. And finally Le Canard Enchaine in KIngston.

We also found Todaroā€™s Salumeria, 5344 NY-23, Windham, NY 12496 were we got a good salami, some prosciutto and a few cheeses.
On the bakery side also happy to recommend Delightful Bites by Nina, 597 Main St, Cairo, NY 12413.

We are headed to Williamburg VA and will report in.

4 Likes

Sorry I missed this thread entirely but adding a few suggestions in case anyone else is headed up to the area. We are usually in the region a few times a year and these have been our recent faves.

Red Onion - Saugerties - Home | The Red Onion (redonionrestaurant.com) We have been here a number of times over the years. Nice, upscale food.

Tinker Taco Lab - Woodstock - Tinker Taco Lab - Home - Woodstock, New York - Menu, Prices, Restaurant Reviews | Facebook - Tiny place with kind of weird hours but the tacos are delicious and cool little spot overlooking the stream.

Woodstock Brewing - Not in Woodstock but closer to Phoenicia - WOODSTOCK BREWING (drinkwoodstock.com) Food is OK, but the beers are good. Fun to sit outside and have a beer and some fries.

Catskill Pines - THE PINES (catskillpines.com) Small menu but very tasty and changes frequently.

Iā€™ll try to think of other places in the region.

2 Likes

I keep seeing Le Canard Enchaine on Opentableā€™s top restaurants in the HV list, but the menu disappoints m, especially when looking for Canard dishes. They have duck liver page and a half roasted duck. For a restaurant with that name, I figured theyā€™d at least have duck breast. And no duck items on the lunch menu.

Your mention of Williamsburg caused me to look up The Trellis, which had been owned by Marcel Desaulniers. Sadly, he sold in 2009 and the restaurant closed last year.

I would have been thrilled to see that on a menu!

We just did a couple days in the Phoenicia region. Another suggestion for the list, https://www.shandakeninn.com/. We were there for burger night which was awesome.

Also, Phoenicia diner is a staple (go early or late). Sweet sues has been open and closed for years but now looks fully closed.

We had another excellent meal at the red onion too. Love that place.

2 Likes

Yes, I know Iā€™m replying to myself (again) but we are up here this weekend so wanted to refresh the post while itā€™s still on my mind.

Sweet Sues is very permanently closed (good intel from the store across the street). Doesnā€™t sound like it will be another restaurant, at least not anytime soon.

We had a fantastic dinner at Silva in Woodstock https://www.silviawoodstockny.com/. Great cocktails, nice vibe, great food. Lots of vegan and veggie options. We actually selected 2 vegan things that were fantastic (mushroom pate as a starter and a vegan cheesecake).

And while chatting up a store owner we learned about a place that opened up that is super cool. Urban Cowboy. We only had cocktails as we have plans already for dinner tonight but sounds like a complete and total renovation. It is a few cabins, restaurant and bar. The place is huge. https://www.urbancowboy.com/

5 Likes

Thanks for updating the thread!

2 Likes

Bumping up this thread and adding some new news.

Sweet Sueā€™s is back open! Yay! New owners. Redone interior. We had breakfast there this am. Pancakes for the kiddo, omlette with roasted tomato and onion for me and breakfast sandwich for my husband. Delicious!

Silvia was incredible again. Wow. That mushroom pate is incredible. Beautiful space and delicious start to finish.

Red onion on this trip was largely a letdown. Extremely loud and very poor service.

Phoenicia diner is a constant hit. Personally I think the trick is to get there early. The kitchen isnā€™t rushed and the food is always so good.

Had a nice lunch at Woodstock brewery on this trip too. Tasty beers, tacos and smashed burgers!

3 Likes

Iā€™d like to reignite this thread to 1) ask if anyone has been to the new location of the Red Pepper Diner in Beacon and also 2) ask for recommendations for outdoor dining options for 6 people (this will be in May 2023 for a graduation late lunch or dinner). Outdoors is kinda important for this multigenerational group with some members vulnerable to COVID complications. Iā€™m curious about Shadows Over the Hudson. Andā€¦we liked Garvanā€™s screened in dining area, during one visit in the past, but weā€™d like to try something else, and wouldnā€™t mind sticking closer to Poughkeepsie. Oh and what about ā€”Farmers and Chefs outdoor seating? What do you recommend ordering (from Rossiā€™s?) on the other night weā€™ll be in the city?

We had a nice lunch at MainCourse in New Platz (nice town ā€“ Iā€™d never been) where I enjoyed a blackened chicken sandwich

and, after. drive through NJ;s lest. fine, a wonderful beer
and my granddaughter had ā€œthe best peanut butter and jelly sandwich everā€.

We then went to Mohonk Mountain house for 5 nights and the food, which I guess used to be wretched (heavy and under-seasoned, good Quaker food), was sensational. See this app with crab, lobster , and caviar in a pea espuma.

a great! beef tartare

and so on and so on. I loved this steak (and everyone else loved it too, it was so big.

Aside from that it was an outstanding place to stay. See my blog for details

3 Likes

We just had a nice weekend in the Woodstock region. This trip we tried good night in Woodstock. This is a sister restaurant of Silva, around the corner. Asian fusion. It was good but I would return to Silvia over good night any day. We started with naan and fried oyster mushrooms. Naan excellent, mushrooms were fine and large portion. Would be perfect to split for 4. Entrees. My daughter and I split fried rice. Also fine, no charred bits and kinda bland. Husband got spicy noodles which the waitress did say are spicy but these were seriously spicy. He can handle his spice and was pretty surprised. Excellent service.

We also did cucina in Woodstock (Italian). We went once many years ago. This was definitely better. Good service. We didnā€™t get anything too wild just pizzas and pasta but thumbs up all around. Appreciated they pointed out that tip was included for a large group so no confusion there.

Dixon roadside is closed as of this weekend. This is a sister restaurant to the phonecia diner. We had an annoying interaction there but is moot since they are done.

3 Likes