Looking for restaurant recommendations in Istanbul

Safe travels.

Wonderful central market and spices …

1 Like

Brunch on the Bosphorus.

7 Likes

The above and below at hotel Ciragan Palace Kempinskii.

5 Likes

What was that cream like food in your first photo?

2 Likes

I think that was baba ganoosh (sp?).

2 Likes

The seasonal fig menu!

5 Likes

Don’t miss Ciya Sofrasi in Kadikoy (take the ferry to the Asian side, fun). The best food I had all trip, by far (worth a long trip back the day of my departure for plane food :grimacing:).

He has a few specialized restaurants in the same area now, but the original has interesting regional variety.

I also enjoyed the stuffed mussels sold by small vendors by the water, and the fried fish sandwiches in newspaper. I’d otherwise be more wary of streetside seafood, but they were popular with locals - and I was just fine :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Oh also lahmacun and pide as a quick and inexpensive meal, with ayran to accompany.

My only disappointment was kababs - the most-recommenced place fell flat for me, which I attributed to expectations (they were under-flavored for me, which may have been regional).

4 Likes

I could not even begin to upload all the pictures of things I saw and ate today, but the kebab was by far my favorite.

7 Likes

Ciragen Palace Kempinskii Hotels.

4 Likes

How amazing, thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

I spy… mussels :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Just remembered - Gulluoglu for baklava. They conveniently have a branch in Karakoy now (otherwise it was a serious hike out to the original).

The little rolls that look pasty green and the little pistachio baklava are my faves (pictured here), but all their stuff is great.

2 Likes

Here are some “Turkish specialties”.

5 Likes

Your last photo in the sweet shop. Are those white trays for sell or samples?

1 Like

3 Likes

Sorry. Haven’t figured out the white trays.

ETA might be samples. I didn’t buy there.

1 Like

Where I loved the “kebab kebabs”.

1 Like

New Istanbul Airport ; Turkish airlines lounge.

3 Likes

Ah, the THY lounge. I haven’t been to the new airport but I have spent many a happy hour in the IST lounge…hands down the best airport lounge I’ve ever visited (and I have visited a lot). The dining options are stupendous, but I think the hall-of-mirrors bathrooms take the prize.

1 Like

I didn’t notice the mirrors, but how about the reclining chairs with popcorn and music?

1 Like