looking for blood oranges close to boston...

yes! the bag says sunkist and sources the oranges from the usa.

starting my new year with an orange and pot of chai cascarilla from mem teas.

3 Likes

Wegmans has them. Picked up several a few weeks ago. They’re small.

forgot to mention earlier: somerville market basket has loose moro moros @ $1.99/pound. decent sized — about .5 pound each — juicy and delicious.

2 Likes

Is that a recent genetic development, or just the way those oranges have always tasted?

don’t know. have to say, the moro moros i picked up at market basket this week were juicer and had better flavor.

1 Like

Hmmm… I sort of generally wonder about fruit that needs a label saying it’s the flavour of something else. Especially when the something-else isn’t clearly specified and might not even exist. :thinking:

Maybe there should be a graphical symbol required on the label of such foods - for example, a simplified diagram of two cannibals eating a clown …

I kind of reluctantly joined Mercato delivery and I am amazed at what I can get “free” delivery to my zip code in Somerville. Not free of course, but I have many more choices for delivery than I have curbside pick up. I’ve never shopped or visited Eataly Boston, but they have some very interesting produce not available elsewhere including hard-to-find/unusual citrus. Not everything I ordered ended up being in stock, but I was really pleased with what I did get. You can check out what is supposedly in stock by visiting Mercato website. What I got may have been a one time thing, so I won’t make a list. I’m not sure what the source/specific blood orange I did get was, but they are delicious. Also, a “pink lemon” and an ergot citron.

An etrog? (Ergot is an interesting but dangerous fungus that grows on rye and other things)

sorry, yes, etrog citron.

I got an email today from Formaggio Kitchen in Cambridge about their winter citrus. They have blood oranges from Twin Girl Farm in California. Also Seville sour and Cara Cara oranges, and pomelos.

2 Likes

Wilson Farm in Lexington has blood oranges from CA as well as CaraCara oranges, pomelos & more

1 Like

In 1969, I had never heard of blood oranges until I encountered the Tarocco variety in Italy. Nobody had primed me with an expectation of their flavor, which immediately struck me as orange plus perfectly ripe strawberry.

the loose moro moros i’ve been getting at market basket have been delicious.

1 Like

Russo’s has them right now. Bought some yesterday 2/24/21.

3 Likes