Looking for advice - Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur

Disappointed to hear that Fierce Curry House has gone to seed. Sorry about that.

I remembered a time, a decade back, when it was voted Best Indian restaurant in KL by TimeOut KL.

I’d not been back there for ages, but had thought they could be depended upon to maintain a certain standard.

1 Like

Phuket’s Southern Thai cuisine has some resemblance to Penang’s Nyonya cuisine. Here are a couple of well-regarded eateries in Phuket Town which many Penangites, as well as Phuket locals like. Do try and book ahead as they can be very popular.

1. The Charm Dining Gallery, 93 Di Buk Road, Talad Nuea, Phuket 83000, Thailand. Tel: +66 76 530 199
    https://guide.michelin.com/my/en/phuket-region/phuket/restaurant/the-charm

1. Tu Kab Khao, 8 Phangnga Road, Tambon Talat Yai, Phuket 83000, Thailand. Tel: +66 76 608 888.
    https://guide.michelin.com/my/en/phuket-region/phuket/restaurant/tu-kab-khao

3 Likes

Last day of my trip - back in Hong Kong. And, went back to Kam’s because I was in the vicinity (Grand Hyatt) and I had a craving for char siu!

Had to wait around 30 minutes, after arriving at 3PM. Ordered the fatty char siu and then the friendly waitress suggested I also take the roast suckling pig as that one was just freshly made. Took the combo, with some steamed rice. Nothing more. Again, really nice, though I prefer the regular char siu (at least the one from Jing Alley). The suckling pig was also great, though be aware you’ll mostly get the skin.

Also made copies of the menu.

3 Likes

And then to bring the series to an end, maybe it’s nice to show a few dishes I enjoyed in Thailand. This is Phuket, so sunny, hot weather.

All of these are in the area around Cherngtalay and Hat Surin.

Restaurant Sunset, crab curry and spicy papaya salad.

Hoi Zab Seafood, raw oysters and prawns (!) with spicy sauce, stir fried clams, and deep fried sea bass with black pepper sauce. The oysters were not as good as we have in Europe but the raw prawns were excellent.

And then my favourite restaurant, right near our hotel, Khunya Seafood. Very simple, home style, family-run, next to a busy road, but the food is soo good! Been there maybe 4-5 times this trip, and on earlier trips also numerous times. Always busy.

Favourites included fried rice with seafood, pad thai, spicy salad with bbq pork, stir fried morning glory, squid with salt and pepper, and papaya salad. I actually lost weight and gained a lot of energy eating this type of food over a week.

4 Likes