London - Recommendation for great Indian food .....prefer Northern and casual over fine dining.

Absolutely agree. Best North Indian food I’ve eaten was at a supper club in Bury, run by a Punjabi family. It was the daughter’s business but helped by brother who looked after drinks and mum who seemed to be doing a lot of the cooking. Good fun. A sort of dinner party atmosphere but with strangers instead of friends.

3 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation. Sadly they sold out in April during the week we are there.
We’ll also pass on their fixed dinner menu since one of our party does not eat lamb or goat due to the gaminess of the meat. Also, the options offered in their fixed menu, though look interesting, are somewhat limited.

Not surprised they sold out, they always do apparently (they were still available the day I posted).

Lots of other good options.

Gymkhana now has a second Michelin star.

Not to bore you to tears, Charles, but did you read the review of Gunpowder at England (London, Bath, York, Oxford, Liverpool) Vacation Round Up (Long)? Just saying :upside_down_face:

I have their cookbook. Now if only someone would come cook some of what’s in there for me :joy:

1 Like

Just bought that cookbook. It’ll be here in a week!

1 Like

K then

Moving up to your neighborhood and will be over soon, thanks :yum:

2 Likes

Yes I did! Thank you!
I also noticed Trishna’s menu also covers a lot of Gunpowder’s menu offerings…eg., Soft Shell Crab, Venison, Goan Prawns…etc.
Due to time restraint, we have therefore decided to use our limited time-slot to try out a Michelin star Indian dining experience.

1 Like

The Gunpowder cookbook has arrived! Not even sure where to begin, but there is a mustard fish recipe that seems to call for a whole cup of whole grain mustard for ~1lb of cod. I think I might already have all the ingredients in the house…

@THECHARLES - I’m very much looking forward to your trip reports from the restaurants you finally settle upon!

1 Like

I’ll do my best to take notes and photos!

2 Likes