[London, Mayfair] Le Gavroche

Thanks, Peter. I don’t recall the Bocuse programme but it sounds nicely hardcore.

1 Like

I’d say it’s for security reasons. You can never be too careful:

1 Like

This one John?

I’ve adopted their egg scrambling method. Starts at 5.45 in the vid. Long winded, but brilliant, like much of their cooking.

2 Likes

Looks familiar , Robin. The on screen relationship between the two was so, erm, engaging. By the by, the vid only shows Albert starting to make the scrambled eggs, using a bain marie, but not the whole process. Occasionally, I do use that method.

I’ve been debating whether to go to Le Gavroche for ages now. Like you I was put off by the jacket issue. It all sounds good and it sound like the sort of service I like unobtrusive but attentive at the same time.

This reminds me of one my favourite stories from the missus’ youth. She has a French grandparents and visited them in France every summer. When she was 5 or 6 her grandfather asked her to come to the market to choose a rabbit. She spent ages picking out the cutest one she could , excited about having a pet. On returning home the rabbit was dispatched in front of her ( I’ll spare everyone the details) and was served up for dinner. She can laugh about it now but it must have been harsh at the time.

1 Like

I’ve told this story before but it stands retelling.

The sister in law is married to a Mallorcan and they lived on the island after they got married. We went to visit and, one day, went to see his father’s huerta (sp ?). There were rabbits in cages and we were both particularly taken with a lovely fluffy white one. Next night, it appears - skinned and jointed. We hadnt realised they were being kept for food and the father, who didnt speak English, just assumed we were picking one for dinner. Anyway, the brother in law bunged it on the BBQ and he & I ate it with a very garlicky alioli, salad & bread. Our wives wouldnt go anywhere near it.

1 Like