Local "must have" products - Boston MA

Oooh, I’ll have to grab a bag of the duck legs! Thanks for the heads-up.

We tried the sauerkraut when they first opened, and one son found it a little heavy on the caraway and juniper. I’ll have to give it another try.

Yes, I do agree with your son that caraway and juniper have been big notes in Moody’s sauerkraut. That’s also been my experience across containers I have purchased over time. I like those tastes though I can see that flavor profile not being everyone’s favorite.

Oh, thanks, that’s really helpful!

1 Like

Don’t forget Teddy’s peanut butter from Everett.

3 Likes

Taza chocolate from Somerville. So good…and also Apothakers’ homemade marshmallows. I am not a sweets person but these 2 things I adore!

1 Like

ha, that’s amazing. I have been buying this for years, and had no idea it was made locally.

Oops- make that “Teddie” peanut butter. Just looked at my jar. Their factory is right at the rotary near Wellington T. You can see the big, retro bear from the road.

1 Like

A few that immediately come to mind:

• The pizza dough from Clear Flour in Brookline is head and shoulders above anything else I have tried
  • Lox from Mamalehs is like a little oasis of New York right here in Boston
  • The marinated sardines available at the cheese counter of Formaggio have been my go to, however I recently got some excellent sardines at Eataly
  • Speaking of Formaggio they have an excellent nduja from Salumeria Biellese tht I have to buy whenever I am there.
  • I like Savenors house BBQ sauce
1 Like

For us, it’s pecan butter from Fastachi.

Mmmm…sounds wonderful.

Smoked bluefish pate from Legal Seafoods

More must-haves for those north of Boston:

• Whole-wheat pita bread from Korbani’s Bakery in Methuen. They also concoct addictively crunchy pita chips from their white loaves. Tons of non-local staples like oil-cured Moroccan black olives and za’atar spice mix for you to stock up on, and delicious prepared foods including small spinach pies.

• Hot fudge and butterscotch toppings from Mrs. Nelsons in Chelmsford. Anyone remember the long-gone Bailey’s ice cream shops in Boston? These luscious toppings live on.