Livin’ On Taco 🌮 Time...

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-stand-up-desk/texas-monthly-appoints-first-taco-editor-jose-r-ralat/

A taco editor. What will they think of next?

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this, bbqboy.

I’ve been a reader fan of Texas Monthly for years. IMO, the articles they choose to publish, and the beautiful prose and photos within, makes the mag an American literary treasure.

(Nice to see they’re adding personnel resources, not subtracting).

3 Likes

Coincidence…

This just dropped into my news feed!

2 Likes

That’s a cool :sunglasses: story!

2 Likes

Talk about a cool job!

1 Like

Here’s a “report” from 2014 from Texas Monthly’s Bar-B-Que Editor. Everything eventually comes full circle. :grinning:

1 Like

Great read. Thank you for posting!

Two thoughts from Jose Ralat that reveal his intellect and sensitivity:

I’ve only lived in Texas for ten years, and I’m still not calling myself a Texan, but I’ve been entrenched in this little world for a while now, and I’ve been fortunate enough to tell these stories—not just the stories of the tacos but of the people who make them. I do this job at their pleasure, and I feel welcomed as one of them.<<

But I think that tacos are more accessible than barbecue. You can have three Mexican-food businesses in one strip mall, but you could never do that with barbecue. People make barbecue a destination event; tacos are what we eat every day.<<

1 Like

People NOW make que a destination event.
Only recently has this become the norm;
previously it was more everyday fare like hamburger joints.
Mexican and bbq pretty much constituted
the limits of “ethnic “ foods when I was younger and still in the center of the country.

1 Like

IMHO, there is as much to observe, taste and critique in a taco truck’s output as in a fine dining house. Sometimes it is more difficult to describe differences in things, textures and tastes, product quality, cook’s sensibilities, when plates are very similar than when they differ greatly from each other.

FWIW, yesterday afternoon we stopped for an early dinner at a truck we had previously loved. Service /attention to detail was vastly different from our previous visits, as was construction and garnish. What would the taco editor have said about our polar experiences?

1 Like

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter!

Press Room
“Food is a pretty good prism through which to view humanity.”

― Jonathan Gold