Late again: Boston, MA, June 2018. Openings and closings!

Thanks for the report, @Thimes!

I’ve tried out their Quincy location last year and thought it was serviceable but not that memorable - wondering if things have improved since then? Do they still have the weekday special of ramen + small rice bowl + a few pieces of sushi? I find those are better values than the regular menu items. As far of tonkotsu style goes, Santouka is probably the best one around. (I initially wrote down Yume wo Katare as the no-holds-barred-extremely-porky champion, but then realized that was Jiro style - not quite the same!)

Have you tried the two-pack Sun ramen in Asian grocery stores? It’s not talked about a lot here and I’m curious if people have done their comparison. I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of the Boston ramen shops use Sun noodles and probably temper their broth with the soup packet too…

ah, thanks. I had missed that.

The Wellington Neighborhood Eatery in Belmont Center has opened.

Meanwhile, the Foodie’s in Belmont Center has closed.

1 Like

Why is that area a Location of Doom for markets (eg, Foodies, Bildners)? You’d think it would be a terrific location. And Foodie’s was pretty good too.

I thought the selection at Foodies in Belmont was lousy - you have places like WholeFoods, Formaggio closeby than you need better stuff to reasonable prices - we are living not that far away but after going through once and looking at everything we never returned

Dakzens in Davis Square will have a soft opening on Sunday the 17th, doors open at noon.

It looks as though it might be an interesting place, although I found this on their website a little worrying: “At dakzen we are adapted AUTHENTIC recipe with americanized & modern concept.”

hmmm, that is slightly worrisome.

I just found it SO expensive and I’m not one to care much about food costs since I don’t spend much on anything else.

tasty pot is opening in the old in house cafe location on harvard ave in allston

1 Like

cheers cut (taiwanese grilled & fried) is opening in the old hot spot location on harvard ave in allston

1 Like

I was surprised to see that Townsman is closing as of tomorrow. Personally I had some hits and misses there after they opened and probably hadn’t been since their first year. I had been hearing good things about their burger, but never quite motivated to try it.

I believe Townsman was the recipient of one of the very low cost restricted liquor licenses that Boston gave out, so they did have some tailwinds to start.

A third Smoke Shop location opened at Assembly Row. I thought 1 location was plenty.

1 Like

Way easier for me to get to.