La Choy - Chinese food for Midwestern white Moms

Also, in the other direction (south of Boston), the chow mein sandwich of Fall River (this local news program covers both sandwiches): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2IcB0cbHMc

4 Likes

I never got the chow mein sandwich at the original Nathan’s Famous on Coney Island, but OTOH I never tried the frogs’ legs either. (Yes, they did have both on the menu.)

3 Likes

If you’re at Woodmans of Essex and not eating clams you’re out of your mind…

4 Likes

!!! Why else does one find oneself in Essex? We (NorCals) made it a point to loop through the area to be at Woodman’s for lunch. Heaven.

3 Likes

You are correct! I was meaning the large chain places rather than the independent drive-ins that were cooking food to order in a quick manner. Then I remembered we had an Arctic Circle, and I think a Dairy Queen too, which fit the chain definition. But yes, I think through history, every culture has had their version of fast (and portable) foods. Yes, no comparing the delicious tastes of the mom & pop burgers, fresh fries, and milkshakes made with ice cream. Oh and onion rings!
In n Out Burger reminds me the most of those tastes, at least with the burgers. Fries, no.

3 Likes

I worked for Arctic Circle Drive-In when I was in high school, in Central Oregon. I thought their food was the best fast food anywhere. In fact, after I married and moved away? We started giving out free tacos for Halloween here in central California. I wanted to use the Arctic circle recipe that they did for taco wednesdays. I found my old boss and took her notes, then rounded it out and nailed it. You can smell them for blocks. We still do it! I miss old school Arctic Circle.

5 Likes

Nor would I-

1 Like

Appian Way pizza was one of the Friday standards (Catholic no meat Fridays) in my house growing up. Does anybody remember if that oh-so-easy-to-make crust was any good at all by current standards? I liked it, but in the '60s we didn’t have much, if anything, in the way of pizza places.

2 Likes