Kombucha -- who's a fan?

So I just got done bottling a growler of pineapple peach ginger. I already put in quite a few peaches when I realized I should take a pic. @meatn3 I ground up the ginger so I hope your tip yields some bursting ginger flavor :wink: I then made two 16oz bottles… Blackberry lemonade and strawberry pomegranate.

As for the “thing” on the plate, I threw it back in the container and hopefully it grows into a hearty scoby so I can get my second batch going. If it doesn’t, I’m buying another scoby on Amazon so I can brew two gallons at once.

This time I put sugar in even every bottle so I’m hoping it carbonates and I moved all 3 bottles, and my new fermentation container, upstairs where it is hotter.

Freshly cut pineapple, peaches and grated ginger…

3 Likes

Is that generally what the fermenters do – they re-use the same scoby/jellyfish for each batch of tea, or do they grow a new one each time?

I keep using the same scoby and it grew a second.

Well I’m happy to say, I think I’m on my way to becoming a half decent kombucha fermenter.

I had a few batches that didn’t carbonate well but I think I figured out some of my issues:

A) let the first carbonation sit longer. It will get funky stuff growing on it but check to see if it is not mold. It will look gross either way but that is part of making this stuff. Google shows you images of mold vs good bacteria. More time equals more vinegar tanginess.

B) the warmer the better (up to a point)

C) I got carbonation by adding more sugar. I estimate about two table spoons per 16oz during second fermentation. For those that may be looking to try this, the sugar gets “eaten” by the yeast so let it sit longer. The sugar gets broken down and you get carbonation. I wasn’t letting mine sit long enough. Your results may vary but more sugar and time were my two lacking factors

D) I think the virgin scoby you order online needs to go through a few batches before it starts to really shine.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the tips. Today, if all goes as planned, I’m bottling a gallon up for 2nd fermentation and I am removing the newly grown scoby to a second gallon jar for a new batch. So two new gallons will start 1st fermentation.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experience. Maybe one day I’ll be brave enough to try this at home.

Edit: I meant let the first fermentation sit longer and the second fermentation also sit longer with more sugar. Again, this is my personal experience. The “science” and experimentation are what I like about this.

Kubota, try it out. It’s fun and the cool thing is that it is up to you on flavors. Plus it is cheap and tasty.