Kam Lok, Good Cantonese Hole-in-the-Wall [SF Chinatown]

Ha fair enough, but as you alluded to, its all relative. I was there twice in the past few years and still didn’t think they were that good. Comparable to… Sacramento lol. Actually might give a nod to Sacramento/Davis for a few spots.

Did you ever get to the Peacock Cafe on Washington St. in the 70s? Old time locals swear it was the best in Chinatown of the era. It was open all night, and I probably never went there sober enough to fairly judge it (if I even was capable of doing it in those days).

I did it was good but Jackson Cafe was our go to spot since the head chef was a friend of my Dad’s we got the best and the freshest thing he had and we did not have to think about ordering. We just told him how many and it was done.

Only made a handful of one or two day trips to SF back in the 60s and 70s and didn’t start exploring SF Chinatown restaurants until around 1980. I do feel fortunate to have been able to catch some of the historic places at the tail end like Sun Wah Kue and Universal Cafe.