K Pot Korean BBQ East Brunswick

Thanks Dave. I’m ready to try this spot of you can round up anyone.

Had Korean BBQ and Hot Pot for the first time tonight at KPot in Union. Was best choice location wise.
I was like Al Bundy waiting for the pizza that never arrived, pacing the bar looking at all the tables with their assorted meats, sauces and veggies. I scolded myself for never having been before.
Think this type of meal really needs some planning similar to a buffet as it is all you can eat. There was the Hot Pot, BBQ, or Both Combined offered. We, 2 couples, went with 4 combos as think they like you to stick with certain deals per table. Price was $34 each for both on a Friday night. Sauce bar loaded and and also had melon, oranges and cake squares for dessert. I had Pork Belly for dessert.
Chuck Flap, Ribeye, Pork Belly and assorted meats all very good. Grilling needs thought as some meats are marinated and dirty up the grill. You won’t have to wait long for grill or meat replacement as the service was outstanding with everyone working as a team.
It was overwhelming and overloaded the senses. Already looking forward to trying other spots in North Jersey.

2 Likes

@joonjoon to the courtesy phone… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Thinking so far…
Best for me to get either Hot Pot or BBQ. We got both because it was only $5 each additional and we wanted full experience. Got Szechuan mainly to cook items in and only sampled the spicy soup base. Others enjoyed theirs and finished it all.

The BBQ
Next time would concentrate on the quality Beef items that I like, Ribeye and Chuck Flap Tail and other Angus/Wagyu grill cuts. Other cuts were on the sweet side including Short Ribs.
The Pork Belly was rolled up thick-cut Bacon. And there were a few different versions. Hard to go wrong here.
Seafood got the whole shrimp which came head-on and unfortunately the first one was on the mushy side which is an automatic nope nope nope. Next time may try the garlic shrimp which come marinated without shell. Salmon may get a try too.
Grilled Vegetables choices are many and we mainly stuck to Mushrooms, Onions, and Garlic.

Hot Pot
Got Pork Belly, Brisket, and Kobe Beef, all thinly sliced and rolled up which cooked quickly in the broth. Also Shrimp Dumplings, Fried Tofu, Corn, Mushrooms, and Bok Choy. Would get more vegetables next time.

Sauce Bar
An overwhelming amount of choices and Friday night crowds made this a less than perfect experience. Mainly stuck with fresh Cilantro, Scallions, Garlic, and Jalapenos and 3 sauces of which were spicy but can’t recall the names. Would like to visit this sauce bar at a slower time to really check it out .

The Grill (Person)
Think there should be one person, who knows what they are doing and can take requests, manning the grill. If you are all there for the experience and just want a free-for-all, then have at it. If you are there for the food let 1 person cook.
The grill can quickly become messy with the different marinated meats and items on the outside don’t cook near as fast as items in the center.
Either way still fun and can’t wait to try again.

7 Likes

I agree @KAOSKitchen it is super overwhelming. Hot pot and KBBQ are two of my favorite things, but I think combining the two, for me, made the experience worse, not better. I said the same thing above 5 years ago, It’s like trying to have sex and masturbate at the same time. And I felt like they did both worse than other places that only do ayce hot pot or kbbq.

I haven’t been to Kpot in particular (I like to drink liberally at places like this and the one near me is not BYOB) - does the one in Union serve liquor?

Also when I go to places like this that have AYCE KBBQ I try to steer clear of the marinated meats, I find they are usually way overseasoned, can be hard to track the cook and they usually make them sooo sweet it kills my appetite.

I bet this would make a great hodown spot though!! I hear one is opening in Hazlet.

1 Like