Just How Healthy Is Salmon?

I love Skuna Bay farmed salmon. Wait…what was the question?

I would love to know if they are truly healthy for their environment.
ETA if they are any better for the environment that other brands of farmed salmon on the Pacific.

2 Likes

Their website has a lot of flowery language but is short on specifics. The one thing that stands out, though, is their ASC certification. I don’t know much about the Aquaculture Stewardship Council, but I do trust (hopefully not misplaced) Seafood Watch, which endorses the ASC certification for Atlantic salmon.

2 Likes

You’ve been presented with several reasons not relating to price, and as @Phoenikia said there are better and worse farming practices, which is why certifications like BAP and MSC exist.

2 Likes

And, ultimately, people need to eat.

There is some sort of upside and downside to every type of aquaculture and agriculture.

We, as consumers with budgets and some knowledge, are privileged to be able to have choices when it comes to which fish we buy.

4 Likes

The Faroe Island salmon I buy has the ASC designation. It costs $22. 95 Cdn per lb ($17 USD/lb) at my local independent store The cheaper Nova Scotia Salmon available near me, available at most chain grocery stores, has no designation. The no designation salmon costs between $10 and $15 Cdn/ lb. ($7 USD-$11 USD/lb)

I’m not going to judge anyone who chooses the farmed salmon that is more affordable. Groceries are very expensive right now.

1 Like

Not everything in life is binary.

It’s not as black and whitecaps farmed salmon is either good or bad.

Like with all things there are shades of gray. Sometimes multiple shades.

Some very good farmed salmon are eco friendly, budget conscious and taste quite good, and also nutritionally equivalent to their wild counterparts. Others, not so much. And then there’s a bunch of farmed salmon that fall somewhere in between.

Like I said above, if given the choice I’d prefer good farmed to bad wild salmon any day of the week.

2 Likes

Lohikeitto with that disgusting, filthy, flavorless, feces-fed Norwegian salmon.

6 Likes

That shit looks good! :poop:

3 Likes

I’m sucha basic bish :wink:

1 Like

:joy: I know what yer like.

I just made that myself! Can’t remember if I posted it or not. With wild Alaskan sockeye, because I am a superior person with impeccable taste.

5 Likes

And you’ve conflated ‘better’ with ‘good’. A less environmentally-damaging choice isn’t a good one compared with wild.

Is anything short of the worst choice OK? That’d be quite the moral theory.

And an even LESS environmentally-damaging choice is not to eat salmon at all. But why stop there? Avocados, quinoa, cows, pigs, chickens…

3 Likes

Al good advice.

Same here. :wink:

Would’ve been better with wild …

1 Like

You and kale should go bowling together.

Well, that’s true, although the damage to be avoided differs radically between salmon and quinoa.

Wild-caught salmon is widely available, especially frozen and previously-frozen. You just have to be willing to pay more. I buy most of mine whole through a tribal source and freeze them.

And able.

2 Likes

Aloha is beside the point. Kokua is the operative word.

Moa kani ao