Just How Healthy Is Salmon?

content://com.android.chrome.FileProvider/images/screenshot/17052099867811135984620.jpg

This has been my experience at least sometimes.

I went king salmon fishing once on a charter vessel outside of the SF Bay. I landed two large kind salmon. There were lean and very salmony in taste.

My favorite salmon I’ve ever eaten was farmed king salmon from New Zealand under a brand name called “Ora King.”

I regularly enjoy farmed steelhead from Costco. I check their selection carefully to choose the fattiest fish with the most recent pack date.

3 Likes

This article in Civil Eats for another data point/perspective.

The fishery/fishing industry can be brutal, just as with for example, animal farming. When I saw the headline of the NYT article, in my head I thought, “and what is healthy for the salmon, not just for us humans?”

Aside from collective suicide, not sure what the solution is here :woman_shrugging:t3:

Friendship Bread is the solution https://www.reddit.com/r/Old_Recipes/s/YswRqgUHzA

There’s even Gluten-free Friendship Bread recipes, these days. https://www.lynnskitchenadventures.com/gluten-free-friendship-bread/

Not sure that solves overfishing and ocean pollution, but it’s a nice hobby for sure.

It was more like a chore in the mid 80s.

1 Like

Oh, so this has been going on since the 80s? I guess it’s not been particularly efficient.

It’s very effecient, it’s just a bit of a ball and chain.

I’m still struggling to see the connection to farmed vs. wild fish.

Humans are not healthy for the planet.

A point I’ve made multiple times in this very thread.

Again, what’s the solution? Mass suicide?

You realize you’re talking to yourself?

But to answer your question, a (there is no "the) solution is to restore the runs. That is a heavy lift environmentally, since paying for it is a giant problem and there won’t be instant gratification. Managing and treating roadway runoff (or banning the hormone disrupting chemicals used in tires) would be a great place to start.

But hey, the typical attention span of voters doesn’t bode well. If shoppers can save $2/pound buying farmed, they really don’t care if it’s hurting the fishery.

You were saying something?

Nah. Must be the voices in my head :smile: :roll_eyes: :sleeping:

1 Like

A continuing thread about farming and restoration efforts…

3 Likes

This is an open pen operation, yes? If you watch their “documentary”, they also want to put their pens out in the open ocean. Less pollution of the fjords, maybe. Out of sight, out of mind, definitely.

Making Friendship Bread seemed like a better solution than collective suicide, if one has to choose an option that is not eating affordable but evil farmed fish vs paying big bucks for wild fish whose population might be at risk and who might not taste so good after traveling 2000 miles to reach its consumer with impeccable taste and ethical chops. Of course same ethical impeccable buyer would be donating points to help that wild salmon’s environmental footprint or some other ethical solution.

Can salmon have environmental footprints if they don’t have feet? I think they can, if they can take the train or plane.

2 Likes

yes thats good eating- I guess tehnically its a trout rather than salmon.

1 Like

I draw my circle to include the planet and all of the life that evolved on it as one complex organism. From this perspective, humans are part of the planet, as is all of the other life that’s evolved on it, whether extant or extinct.

Humans are part of this planet’s life cycle.

Whether good or bad for the terrestrial component of the planet, humans are part of the equation.

Since humans are currently the most intelligent form of life on the planet, they harbor a distinct and weighty responsibility to care for the other life forms and the planet’s overall health, as it’s current chief custodians.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)