Joe Amiels Bay Pointe Inn, Highlands NJ is open I've heard mixed reviews anyone been?

(Big Meatballs !) #29

Isn’t this the old “Something Fishy”?

(Tom T) #30

Sorry, hanger steak…you are correct.

Ha! That has come up a lot recently!

Good to know that Beach Tavern now offers d&d. Thanks!

Yes

(Big Meatballs !) #34

Is the seafood market in the back still open?

Don’t know. Haven’t been to 2nd Jetty yet.

(Mr met) #36

any updates? Has it gotten any better?

(David) #37

Add Shrimp Box to the list of Dock n Dines.

I saw a guy I know who owns local liquor store and eats out fairly often. I asked him about this place and he said, “I spent 140 dollars on cafeteria food”

He didn’t say it jokingly either. Not good

(Big Meatballs !) #39

To quote @NotJrvedivici, “Eeuuwww!”

Unfortunately, they have a liquor license.

I still haven’t made it here but I keep checking Yelp reviews. Owner Joe replies to every review and offers to refund costs of unsatisfactory meals or buy the patron another meal. He acknowledges the restaurant’s shortcomings. I admire when management owns it. I hope they can make the desired improvements. I really need a decent dock and dine.

Finally made it here last night- left unimpressed. The restaurant is beautiful as noted elsewhere. We had a server who I knew from Sally Tee days. Drinks were really good I must say. An app of grilled oysters was blah as was chopped salad. We were a table of eight people. When the mains came, the server and runners did the normal “who gets the chicken” sort of thing. Mains of grouper and fisherman’s platter were ok . My cheeseburger with bacon was probably the best dish of the night, although the fries were served cold.

All in all, Joes was what I was hoping it wouldn’t be…just another restaurant with no reason to return.

(Big Meatballs !) #42

Yep. And they have the liquor license.

So expect the mediocre food and service to continue…

I wasn’t impressed with Joe at Sallee Tee’s either I think Sal did a much better job there, just saying

(Big Meatballs !) #44

I thought Sallie Tees was reliable for the burger and some clams or oysters at happy hour on special.

But I know others who used to swear by it.

I never saw Joe when he was part of Sallee Tee’s. He left a smarmy manager there in his place–the same person who later ran North Beach Grille into the ground.

When I tried to explain a service problem that I had at Sallee Tee’s, one easily rectified, the manager looked right through me and said words that made it clear he did not hear me at all.

Joe appears to be much more “present” at Bay Pointe Inn.

I miss the pickle bar from sallee tees. I don’t recall a single great dish there but I do remember tanking some serious pickles

Despite recent mixed reviews, we decided to go again on Sunday night for dinner. My experience was 100% better than the first time we went. The service was outstanding…looks like they have added a floor manager as a gentleman came around twice to ask if everything was to our liking (service/food quality, etc). We were early (about half hour) for our reservation as we had just gotten in from sailing and showered/etc at the marina. They had no problem seating us as we waited for another couple to arrive and we had some drinks and split an appetizer while waiting (6pm res)

We split a coconut shrimp app to start, which I loved. Wife had a filet (just a touch overdone but she was happy with it) and I had grilled grouper special which I liked very much. I know they are a bit behind the 8 ball with some of our crowd due to the time tested inverse relationship between water views and food quality, but to be fair I think their major problem has been service related, which seems to be taking a turn for the better. Of course they will always be crowded due to the fantastic atmosphere, but I can’t say enough good things about my latest visit.

(Full disclosure I get a 10% discount since I keep my boat at the marina, but I’m not one to normally complain about pricing, even when I go to Undici)

(Big Meatballs !) #48

I will bet not so much weekdays once the snow starts to fly, especially at their price levels.

They are a bit off the beaten path, during the week it was usually no problem to get a table at Doris & Ed’s.