Jockey Hollow Bar & Kitchen, Morristown, NJ

In a quest to try restaurants outside of our bubble, we made early reservations here for Saturday night to celebrate our anniversary. This was recommended by the owners at Heirloom years ago and we never tried it. A bit of a ride for us at 45 minutes but I can say it was totally worth it.

The building itself is a redone mansion originally constructed around 1915ish by one of the owners of AT&T. The hostess told us they never lived there and died before it was completed. It has 4 different bars or restaurants within. We tried the Oyster Bar and then The Washington Room for dinner. The space is beautiful.

It was happy hour (:grin:) at the Oyster Bar. We started with wine and 4 different kinds of NJ oysters (half off) and immediately put in an order for another round. Gorgeous, delicious.

Upstairs for dinner. Service was very nice. Professional without being stuffy. They asked if we were celebrating anything and brought us two complementary classes of bubbly! Very nice touch.

Started with beef tartar which was probably the best I ever had.

I had homemade tortellini with lobster. Delicious and a large portion.

Husband had the duck with various corn sides. Very delicious but he thinks the Heirloom duck is a little better!

Split a very fall dessert that I am blanking on the name on now (likely the wine…) All in just about $200 which I thought was quite a deal for the amount of eating and drinking we did. I cannot wait to return.

9 Likes

Haven’t been there in years, but glad you enjoyed it (and Happy Anniversary!)… never ate upstairs but have always heard great things.

2 Likes

Thank you! It is a cool space. I like the openings they made so you can see through to other areas. Wish it was closer to home!

3 Likes

Last night we came here again for an early birthday dinner for my husband. This is the first restaurant that requires a proof of vaccination status if you dine inside that we have been to! The Washington Room is closed but the Oyster Bar is open. We were seated first inside as they didn’t have anything outside. Luckily they had a table for us and we moved. Perfect sunny weather was just incredible. The view is beautiful with a reflecting pool and lovely landscaping.

Inside view:

We started with a smoked blue fish brioche toast appetizer and oysters:

Entrees. I really wanted two appetizers. One was like a play on eggplant parm and the other was tomatoes, burrata, walnuts. YUM. I feel like I need to get all my seasonal eating in. My husband had pork with homemade pappardelle. Yummy but too spicy for me:

Although stuffed, we muscled up and ordered a blackberry funnel cake. It was awesome but I wouldn’t really have lead with blackberry. It was mostly a pudding with the cake and a tiny layer of jam. Not like we didn’t eat nearly every crumb ha!

Really such a beautiful dinner. Lovely drinks, good service. Amazing food. The perfect weather didn’t hurt either!

6 Likes

Thanks so much for the excellent review and photos! Looks delicious! I’ve been wanting to try Jockey Hollow for the longest time. Just haven’t managed it yet. I’m hoping there will still be some warm enough days for us to work out snagging an outdoor table reservation. Happy Birthday to your husband!

1 Like

The outdoor seating is lovely. The sun can be quite strong which I didn’t mind but he was a little warm. I had no issues getting a reservation only the day before but we ate early.

1 Like

That play on eggplant Parm looks so liar to what Nettie’s House of spaghetti used to do, it was fantastic

1 Like