Jersey Diners- where is a good one?

Mastori’s is a throw back to the good old day’s when Diners were a standard dining option in NJ. Mastori’s is in transit to my son’s college so I’ve made a couple stops over the past year, the cheese buns are still there and still good as ever!!!

1 Like

My favorite two diners are no longer in existence they were the Parsonage Diner on Rt. 27 and Parsonage Rd. in Edison NJ and the Luna Bell Diner on 35 & 9 in Woodbridge / Avenel NJ.

An honorable mention of diners long gone is the Medows Diner in Elizabeth NJ (now the Seaport Diner, located directly across the street from the infamous “LOOKERS”) Here is a pic of a 8 year old-ish JR circa 1978 out side the Meadows diner which was owned by my father.

3 Likes

Luna Bell is/was my all time favorite diner.

1 Like

Do you remember the Abner Bibberman Room? (that was the name of their dining room, there was a story behind it but I don’t recall what it was, something to do with a movie I think).

1 Like

There was the Abner Bibberman room and the Yakima Kanut room but I don’t know the reasons. In the mid - late 80’s I ate at the Luna Bell at least twice a week.

1 Like

Anyone remember the Excellent Diner in Westfield? They made the best meatloaf sandwiches.

1 Like

Can’t talk diners without mentioning the Summit

2 Likes

Always had good food at the Westfield Diner as well

2 Likes

Here’s a masterpiece from the New Monmouth Diner last night. “Tim’s Sliced Steak Sandwich”: not sure of the cut of meat, but it was a massive garlic baguette loaded with steak, bleu cheese crumbles, horseradish cream, fried onions, mushrooms, arugula, and jalapeno peppers. Delicious. Couldn’t finish it…and didn’t even touch those potatoes. $11.95.

4 Likes

Buuuuump!
Had dinner last night w college friends and in trying to find somewhere ‘in the middle’ we ended up at the Skylark, which I hadn’t been to for a good 4-5 years. The place still looks good; menu is greatly reduced, which I’m guessing is a post-pandemic thing. When we arrived at 6:45 I found a packed parking lot (as expected) but then was shocked to see ~ 1/2 the tables occupied - everyone else was in the bar! The dining room never got more crowded, but even when we left (after 10) there were still a few big groups eating - and the bar had emptied out by then.

We didn’t eat anything wild; a big salad w (good) grilled chicken on top, a power bowl, and what looked like a yummy grilled cheese w avocado and fries. We each had a cocktail + cappuccinos and w a generous tip it was $40pp.

Only minor complaints are they no longer serve that delicious bread w raisins and nuts (we were told it comes as toast w omelets but that’s it). The service was eh, but I think I’m sadly getting used to that. Our waitress had a newbie trailing her and after taking our order, she went MIA and we had to flag him down for water refills. She’s not training him too well, though, as he stood AT the table as we discussed if we were paying by cash or card and how much it was pp, but we didn’t let that lower the tip. Still - take a hint and walk away, dude! SIGH

5 Likes

I’ve only been there a couple of times, but I really like Time to Eat Diner on the Somerville Circle. Old school waitress has a stool just by where you walk in, which gives her an advantage by allowing her to steer patrons to her counter. No matter, she knows what she’s doing. The food is really well prepared, typical encyclopedia of a diner menu. I’ve only been there for breakfast, so I can’t speak to anything else, but when i go to diners that is what I usually get , unless I see bluefish on the menu, which used to be ubi
quitous in NJ diners, but is now almost extinct. Sadly not to be found in Time to Eat. At lunchtime the place is packed, and the vibe is like everyone who goes there has been going there forever and everyone know everyone else.

2 Likes

I’m just saying that the Marlboro Diner on route 9 is great. Nice menu all the way to dinner and staff are very good. Most came from the Perkins in Freehold. Highly recommended by this guy.

1 Like

the “best” diners are in out of the way places - NJ or other locale . . .

eateries that survive on Interstate traffic . . . don’t give a hoot about good food.

small town/ort/village diners give really big hoots about good food and good value.

…ex-Pittsgrove-r where good egg plant subs are only found in one-two eateries . . .

1 Like

The Forked River Diner!

Throwing in a vote for Park Ave diner in South Plainfield. I can’t think of another diner where I enjoyed the burgers as much. Their specialty burgers are priced right and just perfect. Highly recommend!

Disclaimer: I’ve only had burgers there, nothing else.

2 Likes

Oh wait. I remembered a place. It’s been a while but Roadside Diner (Wall township) had fantastic burgers. The kind that’s juicy enough to start dripping down your arms. That’s how you know you have a good burger on your hands (and arms).

3 Likes