Jasper White has died

Sad for the local food scene. Boston has made strides in growing past its (not so good) old school New England cuisine roots and reputation, but Jasper White was the first “famous local chef” I remember hearing about – not counting Julia Child of course, and she was not a restauranteur. He definitely did a lot to elevate local food to something more noteworthy, when many visitors were still looking for the Durgin Park or Union Oyster House experience (ooh, scrod…that’s New England for you).

3 Likes

Speaking of Scrod: Have you heard?

Guy gets in a cab in Boston, asks cabdriver: Can you tell me where I can get scrod? Reply: Well, I’ve been asked that a lot of ways but never in the past pluperfect subjunctive.

4 Likes

Me too and I don’t like bourbon.
But I wish I’d tried the one without bourbon.

Yes, the picnic tables, festive atmosphere, children running around, birthday parties going on…a very charming place and fun to watch.

I went once with a very sensitive 5 year old animal lover, who started weeping watching the lobsters go from the pound to the kettle.

When we adopted our seven year old son, we ate lunch there afterwards. It was a great atmosphere for the occasion.

The food not always superb, but always good enough. Loved the snow cones that were on the menu early on and some of the unusual outdoor-ishly clam shack sides.

1 Like

Not to turn this into another nostalgia thread, but does anyone remember Frankie’s Sports Bar inside Summer Shack? That place was a hoot!

1 Like

Eater Boston Tribute

2 Likes

With the Dig Dug machine!

1 Like

I do. Once waiting for a table for a large group we repaired to the bar. When the table was ready the waitress brought me a tab that seemed suspiciously large, no itemization. I asked for the itemized check and sure enough it was padded with about half a dozen fictitious drinks. A very uncomfortable discussion with the manager ensued and I never returned.

1 Like

https://archive.ph/NxwsU

3 Likes

THANK YOU for this archive article! And these are the OG Classic Boston Culinary Icons.

“…the culinary community surrounded him as if orbiting a planet. His group included Burke, Lydia Shire,** with whom he worked side-by-side for years, Gordon Hamersley of Hamersley’s Bistro, Todd English, Barbara Lynch, Jody Adams, Stan Frankenthaler, Susan Regis, Billy Poirier, and many other chefs, every one a luminary in their own right.”

4 Likes

Jasper and I worked together several times for quite a few years. He was a friend and a supporter and one of the finest men in the industry as well as a real pro. No drama there. He used to say I had one of the best palettes in the industry so he tested many new menu items out on me in development. Had many of the best meals of my life just sitting alone with him in the private dining room. RIP my dear friend.

9 Likes

@rjcmystic Welcome and thank you for signing on to share your Jasper memory. Hope you’ll stick around and add to the conversation (whether or not you’re still in Greater Boston/New England…maybe you’re in nearby Mystic?). We’re a small but lively group!

2 Likes

I had lost touched with many since Ive lived in several cities across the country but I am back in Boston now. Thanks for the welcome.

5 Likes

What incredible memories! Thank you for sharing that. Welcome to our forum, and welcome back.

3 Likes

julia moskin’s obit in the times (gift article)

jasper white obit ny times

7 Likes

I just saw it and came here to post the gift article. You beat me to it!

If you are willing to share, I’m all ears/eyes!

1 Like

Lovely tribute. Thank you for the gift link.

1 Like