January openings and closings Boston MA

Make that third: Manoa on Beacon Street right on the Som/Camb line, and Pokeworks on Elm St in Davis are open.

Does anyone remember what happened when three fro-yo shops opened in Davis rapidly? That’s right: they all closed.

I’m a little worried about that too. Pokeworks right in Davis is a chain that I think will play well there; “poke burritos” are really trendy right now and plenty got ordered when I went. The ahi poke bowl we got was okay but not outstanding.

Manoa was quite good when I tried it and had other Hawaiian offerings; they feel much more like the real thing to me so they’re probably doomed. I’ll look into Poke City some time if they last long enough.

Sadly I think Pokeworks is the most likely sole survivor of any poke wars. “Fast-casual” chains seem to be the Boston area’s food future.

Thanks for the correction; I forgot about Manoa. I was underwhelmed by Pokeworks - the food was okay (I have nothing to compare it to, being a poke novice), but the ambience is terrible. Uncomfortable communal tables, harsh lighting, and general rushed feeling about it. I might get take out at some point, but will likely not return to eat in. Has anyone tried any of these?

Help cover Hungry Onion's costs when you shop at Amazon!

Bessarabsky Market, Kyiv. Ukraine
Credit: Juan Antonio Segal, Flickr