January–April 2023 Baking Cookbook of the Month: GATEAU: THE SURPRISING SIMPLICITY OF FRENCH CAKES

I was hesitant to include it, my instinct said no, but as a first for this particular recipe, I added it. I also could have eliminated any salt in the salad!
As I used prosciutto rather than the lardons, I think it would be really salty with the bacon. The pear was very pleasing with the cake/bread.

1 Like

I love what ricotta adds to cake in terms of texture. Also cream cheese.

1 Like

It’s been a recent revelation how wonderful ricotta is in cakes. I’d always assumed it would make them dense and heavy.

Also, love your sub of fried shallots for ham in the savory cake, and plan to steal it. I usually go with anchovy or olives, so it’s nice to have something different.

1 Like

Gateau D’ Alsace redux.

We so loved this the first time, I was compelled to make it again without changes, with the exception of making a bigger batch.

I used 1.5 X the recipe and baked in two 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pans.

We’ll road-test one of the loaves, as we head out tomorrow for a few days. The other will be tucked away in the freezer for another day.

8 Likes

CAKE D’SAVOYARD (which is basically CAKE D’ALSACE with more cheese, less bacon). Agree that this is a quick bread with a denser crumb. The bacon, caramelized onion and Gruyere are prevalent. I did not have the Reblochon cheese so I added more Gruyere cheese instead. Note: This bread has a full two blocks (12 oz) of Gruyere. As this is Day Two, I will follow Aleksandra’s advice and bring the bread back to room temp before serving it today and then tomorrow we will try it toasted.

P.S. @MunchkinRedux is correct about the slight error in the recipe. You are instructed to caramelized the onions but then there is no instruction to add them to the batter so they went in with the cheese, bacon and parsley.

11 Likes

So, I’ve run out of cake flour. I know i can make my own but just wondering how many just use all purpose instead?

OLIVE OIL CAKE P. 82

This makes for one generous cake. I used a 9” springform pan, as called for, but still was nervous it might overflow.

I used California Olive Ranch olive oil, the zest and juice of one large orange, and the zest of one large lemon.

All’s well that ends well, The recipe makes for a beautiful cake and we liked everything about it – from the light and airy crumb to the subtle citrus notes.

8 Likes

I hope Nannybakes sees this. I went to that store i found and bought a

silikomart silicon pan made in italy. Yesterday i tried making chocolate bouchons and they all fell apart when i tried taking them out. Today i tried again and followed the instructions to a t. Same thing. Dont know what i am doing wrong.

1 Like

Oh no! I’m pretty sure the one I used is also Italian. Can I assume you let them cool before removing? Did you by chance grease them? In spite of claiming not to have to grease them, I lightly spray with an oil flour spray. So sorry that happened, I hope at least the crumbs tasted good. One more thing, rather than pressing on the bottom, I pull the sides, top and bottom to loosen them, they then usually fall out.

No i didnt grease. Yes i rested until the mold completely cooled down. Looking at my crumbs I see that the mini chocolate chips are still kind of soft. Next time i will cool them for several hours before unmolding. Now i will have to use my imagination to use this mold for something else also. Thanks for your quick reply.

1 Like

I had put the little chocolate cubes on top on that batch, cooled for 30/45 minutes. I wonder if the warm chips, as you suggested, created the problem.

You definitely need to lightly grease silicone baking molds, in my experience (just as you do “nonstick” cake pans). I would wager that not greasing them is the culprit here.

I found the pics of the ones I made in November, using the “ Gateau “ recipe. So fwiw, I’m posting them. I think, as I mentioned , it’s also important to pull on the sides to help them fall out.

5 Likes

Looks lovely. Your mold looks like its not as steep as mine. I will try making them with all purpose flour maybe it will make a sturdier batter. The recipe in Bouchon uses all purpose flour and theres no baking powder

1 Like

They were a little overfilled, but I didn’t want to mess with anything else😄

1 Like

Made another version of the yogurt cake, this time using a can of pandemic peaches. I stuck with yogurt this time, and added 1/4 teaspoon almond extract and a splash of bourbon. I drained & chopped the peaches and scattered most on top; I was worried that they’d all sink to the bottom if folded into the batter, but it seems it wasn’t a problem. I sprinkled extra sugar on top because I like the sweet crunch it gives. Understandably it took longer to bake with the wet fruit. It’s a pretty plain looking cake, but it’s delicious, and that’s one less can left over from the pandemic.

9 Likes

GATEAU AU YAOURT POUR LE DINER pp. 6-7

I followed the recipe pretty faithfully. A neighbor brought over a bag of oranges, so I was looking for a recipe that could use some of them. This cake had a lovely crumb and delicate orange flavor. I made the soaking syrup but not the apricot glaze. The sweetness with the syrup was just right. Family dubbed it “boozy French cake”. Was planning to bring some over to the neighbors, but will have to make a second loaf as not much is left.

10 Likes

GATEAU AU CITRON P. 34

Another delightfully simple cake, for which I used the hand mixer.

As written, the lemon flavor comes solely from the glaze. Alternately, I added back the zest of the lemon by rubbing it into the sugar, and incorporated 1 t. of limoncello after mixing in the eggs. No other changes.

The cake was quick to make with nice results – good flavor, tender texture. If I make it again, which I probably will, I’ll cut back on the amount of syrupy glaze. It was a little heavy on top, and pooled up in the corners a bit, as you can see from the photo.

FYI the book also offers an orange variation of the same cake.

8 Likes

BABA AU RHUM

Apologies if I get this wrong from the start. I do not (yet) have the book, but baked this from online recipe: https://www.eatyourbooks.com/blog/2022/11/03/gateau-cookbook-and-burlap-barrel-spices-tea-towel-giveaway

I have not baked a cake in at least a couple of years, but I wanted to celebrate good news of my daughter’s, and she loves, loves, loves Baba au Rhum, and so I had picked this recipe out when I saw the book.

I’m not sure I have ever baked a cake with yeast, and I had not read the recipe as carefully as I should have, so I was making it along with another first time recipe of mushroom lasagna and could have really run into trouble except that I found that the time it took to rise (first in the bowl for 90 minutes and then in the pan for another hour) did not take as long as the recipe said. Another thing I noticed was that there was very little sugar in the cake. Sugar came with the rum syrup and the glaze made with apricot jam. I never made it to the chantilly, though I have the ingredients in house. My daughter is somewhat lactose intolerant, so she was just as happy to skip it.

On that note, I made the cake using lactose free whole milk and butter. I baked it for the whole time, 30 minutes, and it came out dark brown on top, and I worried about it being dry. Not at all. Wow! We really enjoyed this. Nice, light cake, not too sweet, and packed that alcoholic punch. Got a nice dark rum from idiosyncratic wine shop near me that curates its products. Not sure what else to say. But for an infrequent baker, this was pretty simple (except for the mess of getting the rum syrup into the cake, probably there’s a better way of doing this). I would definitely make this again. One question I had was whether to refrigerate leftover cake or not. Overnight, I just covered in plastic and left out on the counter…Thoughts?

(N.B. Recipe says to remove orange peel, but my daughter likes them, so we left some. Also, don’t know why the pictures are coming up sideways, but you get the idea.)

12 Likes

That looks great!

4 Likes