Jackfruit burgers?

and this afternoon’s example?

Daiya vegan “cheese” because enchiladas without something that resembles cheese just suck.

Lactose intolerance is a bitch…so vegan cheese (Daiya isn’t awesome, but it doesn’t suck) is my option. With the storm last week I was craving macaroni and cheese (comfort food!) – and they came through for me. Even my family didn’t think it was awful – they prefer their dairy cheese, but thought it was at least ok.

2 Likes

I’ve made the Kraft with soy milk before, add a little extra butter and it works. Not a whole lot of lactose in the orange powder.

We have intolerance in the family.

Cashew cream is great for making creamy sauces, with enough nutritional yeast and some salt/pepper/garlic it works great for pasta.
I do the tofutti sour cream as a topper on mexican dishes, it has some questionable ingredients but once in a while i can deal with that.
Have you tried the new Chao cheese from field roast? Supposedly it’s better than daiya, haven’t tried it myself- i became lactose intolerant pre-fake cheese and just learned to deal without it.

1 Like

I am finding that cashew milk/cream has that rich mouthfeel that so often comes up short with other dairy substitutes. Cashew ice cream is da bomb. It tastes and feels “right”.

I haven’t found the Chao cheese, but will keep an eye out. I’m far more pleased with the Daiya cheese than I thought I’d be, so it’s encouraging that there’s even better out there!

I blame my time in Europe – I was used to eating gorgeous yogurts and cheeses and amazing ice cream all the time, and I still love cheese, but it just ain’t worth it! I am comforting myself somewhat by the calories that I’m no longer consuming – it’s substantial, and yes, there’s less of me now to moan about not having milk.

I have found that, bizarrely – Lactaid milk helps, but doesn’t fix it. A2 milk helps, but doesn’t fix it – so my problem obviously lies somewhere with both the proteins and the lactose. Not convinced it’s worth the expensive dietary testing to have someone say “yep, don’t eat cow’s milk”.

Goat’s milk and sheep’s milk don’t trigger the issues, so I can eat those cheeses as though nothing had ever changed. (Happily I like both types, so it’s a win!)

But it’s sure an aggravation – because the penalties for failure are awful.

2 Likes

Those with lactose intolerance can have unlimited butter?

God bless the people that came up with cashew cream! It’s delicious!

2 Likes

You know what “scares me” is all of the antibiotics, crap feed and water poisoning that goes along with traditional animal husbandry. What scares you should be the likelihood of fecal contamination of the animals you consume.

3 Likes

Some can, some can’t…i can have a little (think condiment).

That’s the hitch with allergies and sensitivities…every food is different for every person. The reactions are different for everyone, so we just have to find our own tolerance.

1 Like

That’s interesting about the butter, Sunshine. I’m sorry you have to deal with such an allergy but it sounds like there a now some alternatives to get you a semblance of comfort food and I think that’s great! Good to know Daiya works for mac and cheese–I’m always happy to try alternatives.