It's slowwwww in here. How about some Boston area lunch tips for me for December?

And my favorite preserved vegetables!

1 Like

pho 88
zabb elee
hong cuc grand eatery
tmorda sandwiches
athenian corner
olympia restaurant
paradise biryani pointe
wham’s cafe
flavor grill restaurante
cote’s market

1 Like

buk kyung specializes in chinese-style korean food

2 Likes

mandoo
jajangmyun
jambong
ulmyun
bokumbop
tangsuyook
gangpoongki

3 Likes

Pardon my ignorance … are these random letters, restaurants, dishes???

thanks @galangatron, great tips! I appreciate the help.

I haven’t been to Buk Kyung for awhile, but I always liked this dish there as well. That was my go to order when I lived in Porter Sq a while back.

heh, it’s galangatron’s list of what dishes to get at Buk Kyung in Union Square.

Thank you. Helpful to know which dishes a place does particularly well.

Incidentally, “Buk Kyung” translates to “Beijing” in Korean.

1 Like

Their jajangmyun, thick, chewy handmade noodles drowning (in a good way) in black bean sauce and pork (but can be made vegetarian) and jampong, very spicy seafood soup with the same noodles, are my favorite versions in the Boston area. My very favorites are to be found in Chicago.

Haven’t been back to Buk Kyung in years and now I have a serious hankering.

2 Likes

Tianjin preserved vegetable is the best vegetable :wink:
(although the Chinese sauerkraut of Dongbei is quite lovely as well!)

That explains so much about their Jajangmyun being a very popular item! I’ve tried and loved their version in the Allston location, although I’ve yet to find a good Chinese version (less sweet and more savory due to the use of Chinese bean sauce) in the Boston area. I’ve tried it at Home Taste in Watertown and find it just so-so; none of them come with the copious amounts of vegetable (sliced cukes, sprouts, watermelon radish, etc etc) traditionally served with the noodles.

1 Like

I’ve only been to Kimchi Kitchen once, so can’t really do a comparison, although I did like KK a lot that one time. I confess that at Buk Kyung I always end up getting the Bibim Bop. I know I should branch out, but it’s so good I can’t resist! You are right that the place does not look especially inviting, but it is worth getting past the bare bones decor to try their food.

2 Likes

Having just had dinner there I can confirm that the gangpoongki is still great. The three of us ordered a large, thought maybe that’s too much when Mt. Chicken arrived, and then it all disappeared (as usual).

Definitely a list of winners. In the comfort food department I’m also fond of their kimchi pancake and japchae.

2 Likes

Alright I’m intrigued. . . these are all new dishes to me (and no idea how to pronounce half of them) - I’m going to try to get to Buk Kyung one of these days (having serious noodle cravings) but Home Taste is so much closer to me . . . but I don’t see Jajangmuyn on their menu (at least not in english) . . . is this it?

1. 炸酱面 Noodles with Chopped Pork in Fried Bean Sauce 8.58

Yup, that’s it! I think you can choose the thin or thick noodles (both handmade according to the waiter). It’s not the Beijing version that I’m looking for, but the thin noodles are quite satisfying too.

We also live close to Home Taste and really love the cumin lamb noodle there; the chewy wide noodle is excellent and comes with plenty of lamb and green pepper. I’ve heard good things about their mala pots too but haven’t had the chance to try it.

Is that what Home Taste calls Noodles with Chopped Pork in Fried Bean Sauce? (Ah, I see that my query crossed with Thimes, so yes.) I found it tasty enough but not exciting when I tried it, didn’t realize its connection to jajangmyun. Do any Chinese places around here include banchan with that dish?

I was going to recommend Home Taste as a lunch place for passing_thru for hand-pulled noodles and Xinjiang dishes (though the spicy saute / big plate chicken is more of a dinner thing). My go-to noodles there are the Xinjiang Spicy Noodles with Sliced Lamb (hand-pulled version) and the Spicy Cold Noodles (especially in hot weather).

Eater liked their Spicy Hot Oil Seared Hand-Pulled Noodles (available as a lunch combo). Their dumplings are good and they’ve recently added a tasty hot and sour dumpling soup. (Both of those are perfectly fine even though I prefer Gene’s versions.) Home Taste’s Cumin Lamb Burger is also quite nice.

For other regional foods the Diced Chicken with Hot Pepper includes plenty of Sichuan peppercorn and the Scallion Pancake with Beef is one of the best I’ve had (though some folks don’t like the hoisin-flavored meat). There are probably other gems on the menu we haven’t ferreted out yet.

2 Likes

noted! I love this whole discussion. December is apparently going to be noodle month for me!

1 Like

The proper technique I learned while in Beijing is that the meat should be chopped pork belly, and not minced meat, fried and then stewed in the bean sauce until the sauce breaks (not sure I understand the reasoning but that’s the way). It’s then served with piles of blanched/fresh/pickled vegetable/scrambled egg on top of noodles with the sauce to stir in. Unfortunately the Chinese rendition doesn’t come with banchan, but a proper Zha jiang mian should have more than enough veggies to compensate.

The Xinjiang noodle is indeed tasty! If you like their spicy cold noodles, have you tried the cold skin noodle at MDM? I prefer the sesame dressing at MDM to the vinegary one at Home Taste.

1 Like