ISO Indian Lamb curry recipe

I think you can go three parts sweet paprika to 1 part cayenne for the Kashmiri chili powder.

Good hack! We have a couple of Asian groceries in town and I can check their spice section too. Having never looked for certain things, I don’t know if they have 'em or not.

Ah. So I take it that you are not a curry novice. Then you’ve already had plenty of good advice!

Kashmiri chilli powder (I never know which way to spell it, but it’s chilli on the packet from Mumbai that I’m looking at) can be faked fairly well by mixing one spoon of ground cayenne with three of plain paprika, as mentioned by Amandarama upthread.

Edit: I see that I came up with the same ratio as Amandarama before seeing her later post!

I actually probably would call myself a curry novice. Indian cuisine is the one that I have the least experience with, and the fewest intuitions about. I still have to follow recipes and can’t throw things together as I would for an Italian or Thai or Mexican tasting meal.

But it appears there are some good options already provided above for me to try.

Hi @Sasha,

Hope you are in good health!

Here is Best EVER Lamb Curry - Authentic Indian Recipes

This Indian lamb curry is made with tomatoes and onions cooked with spices for a rich, hearty dish that’s perfect to make for a crowd. While it takes a little while to cook, this from-scratch curry is mostly hands-off. By the time it’s done cooking, the sauce is flavorful and fragrant, and the lamb is fork-tender.

Ingredients

• 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 large onions, thinly sliced
  • 2 large tomatoes, diced
  • 2 tablespoons garlic paste
  • 1 tablespoon ginger paste
  • 2 teaspoons ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons garam masala
  • 2 pounds boneless lamb shoulder (or stew meat), cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
  • 1/2 cup hot water
  • Salt, to taste
  • Chopped fresh cilantro, garnish
  • Naan, optional for serving
  • Steamed basmati rice, optional for serving

Steps to Make It -
Step 1- Gather the ingredients.
Step 2 - Heat the cooking oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat.
Step 3 - When hot, add the onions. Sauté until the onions begin to turn pale golden brown, about 8 minutes. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Reserve the oil in the pan and turn off the heat.
Step 4 - In a food processor, pulse the onions into a smooth paste, adding a teaspoon of water if necessary to blend. Transfer to a separate container and reserve.

Step 5 - Blend the tomatoes, garlic paste, and ginger paste together in the food processor until you have a smooth paste. Transfer to a separate container and reserve for later use.

Step 6 - Reheat the oil left over from frying the onions over medium heat and add the reserved onion paste. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
Step 7 - Add the tomato mixture, coriander, cumin, turmeric, red chili powder, and garam masala, and mix well.
Step 8 - Sauté until the oil begins to separate. This can take up to 10 minutes.
step 9 - Add the lamb pieces to the mixture and stir to fully coat. Sauté until the lamb is well browned, about 8 minutes.
Step 10 - Add 1/2 cup of hot water to the pan and stir to mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cover the pan. Cook until the lamb is tender. You will need to keep checking on the lamb as it cooks and adding more water if all the water dries up. Stir often to prevent burning. The dish should have a fairly thick gravy when done. Season with salt to taste. This should take roughly 45 minutes.
Step 11 - When the lamb is cooked, garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with naan or hot steamed rice.

Hope you love it.

If you find this really helpful for you please do the comment and share it .

Thanks,
Anniell

1 Like

My least-work-most-return nameless version (as taught to my student sons) goes something like this (2 generous servings):

Gently fry a chopped onion in a good dollop of oil 5 minutes.
Add about 1/3+ of a tube of tomato paste (about 3oz?) and cook for 2 minutes.
Add curry powder (say 4 generous teaspoons) and some salt. Cook 2 minutes.
Add a bit of water (half a cup?) and bring to a simmer.
Add a pound of cubed meat and cook covered gently for: Chicken breast 10 minutes, boneless thigh 30 minutes, cubed lamb 90 minutes (may need more water during cook time).

Extras like garlic, ginger, fresh chillis, chopped fresh tomato, cubed mango, spinach, cream, chopped cilantro etc. can be incorporated at appropriate times, but it’s pretty okay without.

1 Like

If they are anything like similar shops in the UK, more than likely they’ll have the Kashmiri chilli. Even the small shops, not supermarkets, usually have it.

1 Like

I love the simplicity of this one - thank you.

Jaffrey has a number of straightforward lamb recipes in her “Curry Easy” book, including a verion of laal maas, which she calls “Rajasthani Red Meat”. I also like the “Delhi Style Bhuna Lamb”.

Or, if you’re not wedded to a stew type recipe, I also like her Punjabi Lamb Kebabs.

I’ve not looked for online recipes but I presume they’ll be out there.

1 Like

@Sasha Whatever did you end up making?

Greek! I’m embarrassed to say. That dinner, that’s the way the sides were leading me. And I think I wanted to do something on the grill, and I’d been reading the kebab thread. However, I have all these recipes marked, and still have some cubed lamb in the freezer. Curry will be next on the lamb agenda.